NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Life is not about an IMAGE

Dannigan

Hi,

I thought I'd bring up this topic because of the culture that we now live in.  At least the Westernized culture.

Image-focused-people.

Sorry, but I fuckin' hate image-focused people.  Maybe hate isn't the word to use.  It's too strong a word.  Naw.  I'll use it. Okay fine.  I think I just detest the way our culture is becoming self-absorbed. 

I mentioned before that I am a person that cares about my own appearance.  Don't get me wrong.  It's mostly about personal hygiene, and looking presentable to others.  The moment I start caring too much about how I look like, somebody slap me in the face with a black silk glove.

When did our society get so carried away with selfies?  Posing a certain way to look THINNER on camera or in pictures.  Getting the lighting JUST RIGHT so that your best facial features on your LEFT side stand out and you can ERASE that hairy mole under your chin using whatever goddam photo editor available at your convenience. 

You gotta have a nice car.  A nice house.  A beautiful girlfriend or boyfriend.  Beautiful friends.  Forget the uglies.  They tarnish your image!  Don't befriend them!  Forget the people who aren't successful in life!  They have no value to you!  They can't teach you anything!  Just flock around people who are the best in everything they do, and are ONLY successful in life. 

What a world. 

Edited by Dannigan

I have two nieces that I adore.  Sometimes I get concerned that this narcissistic culture will impress upon them when they get older.  I'm not saying that having goals to become wealthy or successful are bad things.  But I think a lot of it is accomplished to glorify our own selves.  I guess it just gets too superficial, that's all. 

Sadly, image (as you call it) is the one way we have of quickly finding people to be interested in, to date, or just hang out with.

If it weren't for these superficial clues, you'd have to date every girl to find a girlfriend, you'd have to talk to every person to find friends.  Image is just how you present yourself to the world.

Maybe you can't judge a book by its cover, but there are a lot of books, and you can't read them all.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Some Yahoo said:

Sadly, image (as you call it) is the one way we have of quickly finding people to be interested in, to date, or just hang out with.

If it weren't for these superficial clues, you'd have to date every girl to find a girlfriend, you'd have to talk to every person to find friends.  Image is just how you present yourself to the world.

Maybe you can't judge a book by its cover, but there are a lot of books, and you can't read them all.

Thanks for the perspective, @Some Yahoo.  That is true.