NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Torc, by Torc

Torc

31 December 2015

It's been a while since I was last here!

I met up with my friend who lives in Aberdeen.  He came down to visit his family at Christmas time with his wife and son.  We went at the Edinburgh Christmas market.  Got a wood carving of an owl and a candle holder.  Played with his 7-month old son.  He grabbed my nose in the car and had the biggest smile doing so.  Awww.

I got a few videogame-based books and a t-shirt with a videogame character on Christmas day.  I read a few pages of each book and still don't feel the urge to game.  I also watched a few gaming videos on YouTube.

I think Christmas has put my brain in relax mode as I have neglected reading The Slight Edge and have been on YouTube instead of carrying on with goals.  Never mind, I'll get cracking on with them in 2016.

I'm grateful for:

• My friend and his family
  • Marvel movies
  • Tangled (much better than Frozen)
  • Stand-up comedians
  • Christmas
  • Hot water bottles
  • Pyjamas
  • This diary I use for writing stuff I'm grateful for

End of 2015.png

• 7 months later...

I messed up

I managed to go 91 days without games and then I started playing games again.  While I did find certain games fun, they didn't give me the same satisfaction they gave me as a kid.  Two Saturdays ago I played a match-3 puzzle game for a few hours until I came across a level I found to be insanely hard.  I got so frustrated that I spent the whole day thinking about it.  I was playing pool at the social club and I kept making mistakes that I wouldn't normally make because I was too busy thinking about that stupid game.  

I realised that, yep, I don't find videogames that fun anymore and they can frustrate me.

As well as cutting out videogames, I'm cutting down on internet browsing.  I'm thinking of cutting it down to a maximum of 60 minutes a day and having a two days a week not browsing at all.

I started not gaming on 26th August and will reach 100 days on Sunday 4th December.  I've already went over 60 mins of browsing today so a new streak will start tomorrow and will reach 100 days on Friday 9th December.

I started CodeAcademy today to learn JavaScript.  I've been wanting to learn coding for a long time but kept putting it off.  The time I spend on CodeAcademy will not add to the total time spent browsing.

I also downloaded an app called Habitica for helping me get into good habits.

Health-wise, I am fine now.  Doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with me, had a chest x-ray and everything.  The pains just went away.  Weird.  I am cutting down on junk food and planning on getting rid of junk food entirely.