NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Questions from a Newcomer

All,

I have gotten back into gaming a few years ago after a break of a couple of decades.  It is a long story but I had gift points that could only be redeemed for prizes so I got my first game system with the points and started gaming again.  I did take the quiz but have a couple of other questions.  I will ask the second question in another topic as I think people usually address topics better with separate posts. 

1) What is the feeling of addiction?  I do feel I want to play a lot but I don't know if that is from addiction or just wanting to play a fun game?  I am not sure if I should stop or if games are just a fun thing to do.  Though to be honest with you I have a weird combination of wanting to play and also boredom with the selection of games that causes me to search for better games

• Like 1

First of all, I'm not a mental health expert at all (I work in tech - software).  So, this is just my opinion based on personal experience and thought.

Addiction isn't just a feeling, though it certainly has to do with such.  Addiction is when the behavior (given circumstances) causes irrational harm and one still engages in it over and over again.  Are you neglecting responsibilities you would otherwise address?  If you confidently and reasonably answer "no" then chances are, in my unqualified opinion, that you are not addicted to gaming.  That your current approach to gaming is probably moderate/reasonable.

Perhaps you are feeling like your current approach as "addictive" (i.e., at risk.of developing into an addiction).  That would be a pretty wise observation.  A lot of times we only question our desires and behaviors after we have personnally suffered consequences.  If you set yourself boundaries now, and hold yourself accountable (rather then finding excuses) when you break them, well... I think your on a good path.  I say "good path" because there is no universal "right path".  Not all gamers become addicted.

Regarding your last sentence... would you say that boredom/dissatisfaction extends overall of sorts?  Like do you feel "chronically bored" per se?  In that case you probably should talk to a therapist.  It's possible that you suffer from mild or moderate depression, in which case yeah, you would be more vulnerable to develop an addiction.  Everyone feels bored or disatisfied at times.  The sentient experience... it's like we're always jumping from one sense of satisfaction, get acclimated, and jump to another.  However, it would be worrying if you didn't have the will to make the more effective jumps, for whatever reason.

Anyways, maybe you should speak to a psychotherapist.  You'll almost surely get more accurate answers for yourself there, though it can be too expensive or unnaccessible in your area.  It's like... don't wait for that lump or bump to grow and cause more pain before having it checked, so to speak.

Good luck and take care.

• Like 1

Thank-you,

I think that I may need to speak to a psychotherapist or another counselor to resolve my feelings.  I do think that my gaming was becoming a problem at times though not at the level of some I have heard about.  I do think for now it is important for me to take some time off gaming to reflect on questions I am asking myself.  

During the pandemic gaming gave me a great sense of community and connection to the outside world with my only time going out was at work.  Thus the games and community have some connection for me and it is with some sadness that I feel I might have to give it up.  However, in only the first few days of stopping I have seen various benefits from improved sleep to greater productivity so I don't think I can go back until I figure if I am able to moderate the games.  Previously I woke up early in the morning thinking about games and couldn't go back to sleep. 

-Billy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Willyeast said:

Thank-you,

I think that I may need to speak to a psychotherapist or another counselor to resolve my feelings.  I do think that my gaming was becoming a problem at times though not at the level of some I have heard about.  I do think for now it is important for me to take some time off gaming to reflect on questions I am asking myself.  

During the pandemic gaming gave me a great sense of community and connection to the outside world with my only time going out was at work.  Thus the games and community have some connection for me and it is with some sadness that I feel I might have to give it up.  However, in only the first few days of stopping I have seen various benefits from improved sleep to greater productivity so I don't think I can go back until I figure if I am able to moderate the games.  Previously I woke up early in the morning thinking about games and couldn't go back to sleep. 

-Billy

Spot-on with my experience, especially waking up early. And really good reply @pdallair91

Getting honest answers about myself from myself + others is important to me too. I imagine it's good to have that front of mind and ways to help that work.

Edited by wheatbiscuit
  • Like 1