NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Another quitter joins the ranks

Hello everyone my name is Pete. I am 38 years old and have had an on and off again relationship with video games since I was a kid. I have found over the past 5 years or so my life, particularly my social life has really shrunk. Over the past year what was a fairly manageable habit become very clearly an addiction. I am here because I really want to stop playing games, live a good life, but, I am finding it very hard.

Edited by Peter 85
  • Like 1

Hey Pete, welcome to Gamequitters! 

I'm sorry you're finding gaming to be damaging your social life- I faced a similar issue. My core reason for quitting was the feeling of missing out on social life, especially w/ my romantic partner, whom I'd ignore/avoid while gaming. 

Best of luck unpacking your relationship w/ games and finding empowerment in that process! So excited to follow you along.

Po

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Pete, I'm 39 and find it really hard to quit also. I have a happy marriage, a good job, and 2 great kids, but I still feel the "need" to game. It feels like it's getting worse as I enter middle age due to the humdrum of life. In college I didn't game because I had so much ambition to get a good job and find a wife and all of that, but now I'm just coasting through the life and gaming provides the challenge and excitement that I'm missing elsewhere. At least, I'm guessing that's the issue. I thought maybe you'd feel the same way. Personally, it's obvious that there are better ways to spend my free time but the mental addiction is so strong. I'm quitting for at least 90 days today, hopefully forever. Good luck to you and stand strong!

• Like 1