NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My introduction

Salem

Hello, I very recently started looking into gaming addiction and I believe I have a problem. I no longer just play games as a way to relax and instead use it as a way to forget about the important things I need to do like schooling or my desire to workout more and eat right. I am 26m and gaming has been a problem most of my life. Probably since I  was 6 or so but really started with Halo Reach. that's where I met a group of guys that I still play with to this day. recently I have tried to stop but always end up back in another 10 hour or so session of league or something. This is also a bit of an issue as my only friends are those guys I talk to through discord who still essentially have no jobs or anything and still play games basically every waking hour of the day. I have seen some people talk about deleting their league accounts and I am envious of that, as currently to me that just seems completely out of the question with the excuses of "oh I've had it since 2013" or "There is $1000 worth of skins on it" pretty standard and fairly flawed arguments I know but still. Thankfully I never really cared about playing ranked or climbing or even try-harding for that matter so I don't even know what I see in the game other than it feels good to kill enemy champions.

My plan for leaving games behind

currently I am in a little different position of how I actually play games on my computer than most. I use GeForce Now and stream them as my laptop is just pretty crappy, I am thinking if I get rid of my Ethernet adapter my connection will be poor enough that it will be easier to deal with the urges to hop on any games in the first place. I also will start looking for other hobbies, start with something normal like learning a language and going to the gym. Though I feel I will still be constantly looking for "easy entertainment" so to speak that stuff like netflix and video games provide. I really don't want to drop video games for something like constant netflix binges or smoking weed all the time either. I have a good relationship with drugs and alcohol and really don't want to ruin that

anyway, this forum seems to be fairly dead, or at least slow. and in retrospect that probably makes sense considering people are trying to get away from their computers

Hey Salem, welcome to the forum and thanks for your introduction! 🙂

4 hours ago, Salem said:

anyway, this forum seems to be fairly dead, or at least slow

There are not THAT many people around here at the moment, thats true. But a lot of members post something from time to time or read some posts of others. I can really recommend starting your own journal because it helps getting your thoughts in order and also leads to an accountability to the forum which helps with avoiding gaming and staying true to your plans and commitments. I guess, once you start to focus more on offline activities and you get to turn your life around, it is normal that you spend less time in this forum 😉

4 hours ago, Salem said:

so I don't even know what I see in the game other than it feels good to kill enemy champions.

This is a point worthy to think about. What is it that makes you stick to games like LoL besides escapism? I was a LoL player since season 1/2, so I know how addictive this game can be. Maybe some of my thoughts in my introduction post or some posts of others might help you.

4 hours ago, Salem said:

I have seen some people talk about deleting their league accounts and I am envious of that, as currently to me that just seems completely out of the question with the excuses of "oh I've had it since 2013" or "There is $1000 worth of skins on it" pretty standard and fairly flawed arguments I know but still.

I know it takes some courage to get rid of your account since you have so many memories attached to it and also spent a lot of time leveling up and get trophies, skins etc. But if you really want to quit League for good, abstinence is the way to go, I fear, unless you are one of the people that can play in moderation (its hard though). You could for example uninstall the game and delete the Youtube or the search bar feed in your browser that contains LoL content, as a first step to get the triggers out of the way. If it is about the money you spent on skins, you can also try to sell your account online and get some money back. I had several accounts which I deleted again after some weeks / months, and from my experience you feel a lot better when being away from this game for a while and starting new or old hobbies. Learning a new language or going to the gym is a nice way to start! See if it works out for you.

4 hours ago, Salem said:

This is also a bit of an issue as my only friends are those guys I talk to through discord who still essentially have no jobs or anything and still play games basically every waking hour of the day.

I cant give you good advise here, since I didnt have a lot of friends that were gaming. But in the forum's discussion area you may find some help and new perspectives. Cam Adair, the founder of this forum, also created some youtube videos on his channel Game Quitters regarding how to deal with gaming friends when quitting. In my opinion, if your friends are true friends, they will understand and respect your wish of playing less / quitting. You also might look out for new people that share some healthier interests with you. That doesnt mean you have to let your friends down ofc, but spending more time with people that can support you on your way might be helpful.

Good luck on your journey! Keep us updated 🙂

3 hours ago, nils said:

This is a point worthy to think about. What is it that makes you stick to games like LoL besides escapism? I was a LoL player since season 1/2, so I know how addictive this game can be. Maybe some of my thoughts in my introduction post or some posts of others might help you.

Hey thanks man, My class size is really small and they do league games together once a month I'm thinking about still going to those as its fairly social, takes place at the school and infrequent. I did have a plan of trying to give my password to someone I trust that I don't know it but now that I think about it I would be the type of person to just reset it with my email. So eventually it will have to be an all or nothing thing. One thing I know that draws me to the game is character thematic, art and story. Though I am not very artistic myself I don't know what to make of it. I will definitely check out your intro post and look around here more though.

• Like 1