NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Get my hobbies back

Hi! My name is Peter, im 20 years old and since last summer, I became more addicted to gaming than i was ever before. And that took my joy from hobbies.

I am a teacher, but I always loved making music! Or other creative stuff, like playing piano, drawing, writing stories... I moved away from my parent's house last summer, right after graduating school, found a job and yeah...thats good, but also bad. Cuz now I have access to adult money, with no restrictions. I buy 2 - 3 new games after every paycheck (I don't even play a lot of these games.) I still have so many games i haven't finished, or that I didn't find quite fun to play. I also spend alot of money on rocket league (Since someone thought it would be good idea to remove trading...duh).

I decided to change my stereotypical day. Now im in spiritual and mental warfare everyday. I used to play for 2+ hours every evening, which resulted in broken sleeping schedule (0Am - 1Am was my bed time). Alot of times, 2 hours of gaming can be a lot of wasted time, when in that particular day I have only 4 hours of free time. I could use that time for more productive stuff, yet I don't. I lost motivation for any creative hobby. I lost motivation for music, even thought it's a big part of me and I already achieved some bigger numbers and attention. I havent made any new song in month or so. I miss it. I want to have fun making music again.

So thats why I set 40 minutes timer for gaming, instead of scrolling through youtube shorts I just lay down on floor and try to get bored, started reading Bible and connect more with Jesus Christ and the hardest part is trying to change my mindset. I don't want to view my music hobby way too seriously, I want to have fun again. I want to enjoy life again, not stress over future. I want to live in a present.

hopefully this journal thing will help me reorganise my thoughts and connect with people. Until then, stay strong and resist!

• 1 month later...

It's nice to have you here Peter! And it's a great thing that you've come to this realization so early in your life. 🙂

When you realize how gaming just starts to suck the life from every other hobby you have is when you know something is completely off. Trying to beat a superficial level to increase a number on a digital screen can never be as fulfilling as playing an instrument for instance, yet that's how the brain wants to prioritize when we start to slide into addiction. A virtual version of real life can never be as meaninful as actual real life, and we need to remind ourself of this constantly.

I'll have to say, playing music never fails to calm me down, it doesn't matter what mood I'm in coming into it. I know how hard it is to stay consistent though. The only thing that has ever worked for me is finding other people to play with - or setting a day for a performance or something like that. if you have other people in your life that enjoy your music they might be able to help you out