NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Tips for staying consistent with good habits while out of environment?

FDRx7

Apologies if someone has asked this already, but I recently posted an observation in my journal about how some of my good habits disappear when out of my element. When I travel to a friend's house or my parents' place and stay overnight, it's easier for good habits to fall off, even if I can do those things (some are not possible away from home, but many are). It's not that I descend completely into bad habits, just that the good ones don't always stay with regularity while away from home. 

Anyone have any tips for being consistent while away, out of your typical environment, or traveling?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also struggle with this. I can be productive and do all my habits for several weeks but once I step out and have a short vacation, all of my habits can fall off easily. Especially when I'm back from vacation, it's very hard to get back on track. Based on my experience, it's because the momentum to do the habits stopped, and our brain just choose to relax than do them. 

These insights form James Clear is really great How to Get Back on Track: 7 Ways to Bounce Back After Slipping Up (jamesclear.com)

Having a checklist or a habit app is helpful as well, I've been using "everyday" app which is really designed well not to break a habit. You also have an option to skip a habit, but never skip 2 days in a row. Personally, I just do half of what my habit goal is. Example, if my daily habit of meditation is 10 mins, I will only do 5 mins when I'm away, or even 2 minutes if it's near impossible to do it just not to break the habit. 

Other habits that are impossible to do on vacation like running, I usually just stopped stressing out on how to do them because it might ruin my vacation. I just look forward to them once I get back to my usual routine.  

"These small hiccups don’t make you a failure, they make you human. The most successful people in the world slip up on their habits too. What separates them isn't their willpower or motivation, it's their ability to get back on track quickly." - James Clear

Let me know what works for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 11:00 PM, Antoni said:

Let me know what works for you. 

I meant to respond to you earlier. Thanks for the article. I actually read Atomic Habits a couple years ago, but it's been a while. Perhaps I should revisit it.

I also used to use a habit tracker as well, but right now I don't have one besides what I do on here. Maybe I should start again. I've tried a couple in the past, including Productive, Habit Share, and Habitica. I used Habitica for a very long time. I might go back to that, not sure why I stopped...

I liked the tip about continuing a habit routine, even if you can only do part of it. I think that has made a difference for me in recent days.

Thanks again for your detailed answer, it was very helpful.