Sign in to follow this  
Joachim

Gaming is my demon. I lost everything to it.

Greetings. 

Games are like a drug to lonely young men. Instead of using there ambition and competitive energy towards work/academics they will put it towards videogames since it's a easier outlet with easier reward. And thanks to that outlet they dont have any competive/ambitious energy left for work/school cause they are already fullfilled that competitive need with games. And this is what happened to me aswell.

I am 28 years old. I actually had a great government job and a great apartment. The problem is the month I started the job was the same month this addictive online game released. After struggling at this job 8 monthes I quit last September because I lost interest in work. While at work Instead of thinking about my assignments,  I was thinking about going home and streaming this addictive game on twitch or playing Nintendo Switch with pals. I had a whole community of people that were like family on a gaming discord and we would greet eachother everyday and play games. It had been years since I had that level of interaction with people.

But Today I'm jobless with no apartment. I moved back home when I lost the job. And for a while I was sitting in my childhood room playing videogames. BUT, I realized Its either a quit games forever or risk falling into this habit over and over again in my life. Selling the console never works cause I just end up buying it again. So I deleted my discord/twitch that connected me to my community of online friends. I didnt even say goodbye.

After that I was able to apply for new jobs and try to help around the house. Baby steps. Also started working out again. It's so much easier without a online community of friends tempting me.

Thank you GameQuitters. You guys are family to me , your videos helped me understand the stimulus of videogames ruining my brain. I knew the science but couldn't explain it.

• Like 1

This is amazing! Congrats on the realization, and taking the action to get rid of gaming.

Baby steps is all it takes, much better than no steps at all. Before you know it you'll be crushing life and waking up excited every day!

Stay strong.

Thanks James. 

I am reverting back to my core values and morals. I have put a restriction on my diet (vegetarian). And I'm slowly earning back my self trust that videogames stole from me. It took years to build that self trust. I used to be a vegetarian and also a serious student. I would be able to place restrictions that held to my core values without a second thought. I gotta rebuild self trust one day at a time, so for now its a mental struggle to be restrictive and to rebuild a study habit.