NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Embarking on a Zero gaming life after 25 years of gaming

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, can I just say that Cam's work is literally saving lives. Thank you Cam for starting Game Quitters. After multiple relapses of trying to quit gaming over the past 3 years, I have finally cancelled and deleted all my games & accounts. Games were not exactly "taking over" my life, but they were a major time sink in the evenings after work and weekends. A part of me wanted to quit gaming but another part of me convinced myself that there was nothing else that could free my mind from the stresses of life the way games could.

One day I tried something different. I typed out a letter to myself playing out how the next 6 months would go if all I did in my free time was gaming. I laid out the math and a thought experiment of what life COULD look like if all those hours were spent in other tangible hobbies instead and how the future me would thank me for making the right choice. I printed that letter and kept it on my desk. For the next 2 weeks, that letter was the first thing I saw when I sat down and turned on my PC. Sure enough, the day came when the message finally clicked in my brain. I am confident that I won't relapse now, because now my mind also 100% WANTS to be able to level up in real life. I can now envision a future for myself where gaming doesn't exist. I have totally no regrets on the time I have spent in gaming previously. It was a great hobby for the past 25 years, but I have chosen to move on. I plan to get rid of my gaming PC very soon & move to a Mac. Sharing the last paragraph of the letter I wrote to myself:

"You know what needs to be done, so go do it. Do what it takes to get your life back from the fantasy gaming land, that sweet escape that provides false promises of happiness but instead results in loneliness and eventually depression. Just do it. If you have to, get that gaming PC out of sight, out of mind, smash it with a hammer if you must. Clean up your environment even if it means that you have to spend some money. Save the rest of your life first, worry about the money later. I am proud of you for taking this step. Future you will thank you later. Peace out."

To anyone who is still trying hard to let go of gaming, I just want to say that there is no need to beat yourself up and compare yourself to others around you who never fell into the gaming world and seem to be living better lives. When you win the battle of You versus You, that is true success and growth. Everyone has their own journey in the game of life.

Vik

• Like 1