NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

HappyCat's log

HappyCat

@Vlad, for the past 4 years playing time is not a problem for me, trying to choose a game is. I think that after detox I'll either quit it at all or be able to sometimes play games I already own as hobby, not habit.

I have no timeline for parachute jump at all. I need to research necessary costs and preparations. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no timeline for parachute jump at all. I need to research necessary costs and preparations. 

Here's the reaserch material with the price range etc xD http://kukuruznik.com/price.html https://otvet.mail.ru/question/41538448

I think it's best that I get down to ~210 lbs/95 kgs first to play it safe. The impact of landing a solo jump at over 220 lbs/100 kgs is rather tough and most instructors don't take carry on luggage of that weight for tandem junps either. I'd say in a month is a realistic expectation. What's your weight btw?

Edited by Vlad

Day 14

Two weeks of not playing, woohoo) Mother-in-law's cousin and her family visited us today. She was greatly amused how her son who usually sticks to PC went around nursing and playing with my kid for the whole day. Everybody had a lot of family communication today.

Found about 30 minutes to try few job-related stuffs a bit so bringing notebook all the way here more or less paid off. Let's see what I can do tomorrow. I tried to make it a habit of spending at least 15 minutes daily (instead of 2-3 hours once in a while) but it was before I started detox. Should be much simplier now.

Caughting up on some reading: this time it's "Count Zero" by Gibson. I've read "Neuromancer" almost 10 years ago, gonna finish the trilogy this time around.

Sorry for not commening, I usually choose not to do it when I have nothing to add and/or too tired to do so.

Yes, I like DDR. Unfortunately, there's only a few cabs in my general (very general) area. I play on a soft mat at home sometimes. 

I always wanted one of these, it looked like a lot of fun and a nice way to stay active, I guess sparked by the original NES fitness mat. I know the fitness mat got a lot of bad reviews though, so what is the soft mat like? I assume it would have the same challenges by being a bit harder to move on and not having quite the same feedback.

Yes, I like DDR. Unfortunately, there's only a few cabs in my general (very general) area. I play on a soft mat at home sometimes. 

I always wanted one of these, it looked like a lot of fun and a nice way to stay active, I guess sparked by the original NES fitness mat. I know the fitness mat got a lot of bad reviews though, so what is the soft mat like? I assume it would have the same challenges by being a bit harder to move on and not having quite the same feedback.

Let's just say that Nashi Con taught me a few lessons

@giblets, soft mats have slips a lot and have worse response time. I screwed mine to a wooden panel and taped some cardboard at the center. This way I may feel where the center is. You can play songs up to difficulty 9 on DDR Extreme scale, but passing one would be way harder than on arcade.

16403404_10208477452550701_9776314727903

@Mettermrck, have you tried Foundation series?

Edited by HappyCat
DDR setup

Day 15

Sleepy all day. My son decided it's a bright new dat at 1 a.m. and shared his excitement with everyone. That didn't stop him from sharing his excitement once more around 7 a.m. when the bright new day actually started to look like one.

Finished "Count Zero" today. At the middle of the day I was struck by this depressing condition of not wanting to do virtually anything. I haven't had it for 2 or 3 month and liked it more that way) Dear inner voice that keeps murmuring "your life is shit", would you kindly check your assumptions? =) Aside from helping my wife reading was the only activity I did want to do. I got much better after supper and a cup of tea.

Actually did some more studying today. Set up an environment to try out all these stuff from new section of a programming book I am going through.

Still no gaming aside from making moves in correspondence Go matches.

@BigPete247, when I'm at home I usually study in the same room using my notebook and small table. Now that I don't spend time looking for game I started catching up on some topics.

Sorry, I don't quite get which way exactly do you mean? If it's ddr then it mostly helps me to unclog my head after office.

Day 15

Sleepy all day.

Finished "Count Zero" today. At the middle of the day I was struck by this depressing condition of not wanting to do virtually anything. I got much better after supper and a cup of tea.

It might the weather or some other stuff, I'm feeling exhausted all day today. Good progress, keep at it.

Edited by Vlad

@BigPete247, when I'm at home I usually study in the same room using my notebook and small table. Now that I don't spend time looking for game I started catching up on some topics.

Sorry, I don't quite get which way exactly do you mean? If it's ddr then it mostly helps me to unclog my head after office.

Yeah, keeping space between my study and game helped keep me focused on my schoolwork more and gaming less, but in your case, you really need it to relax, don't blame you.

Day 16

Sleepy again. These monday train trips somewhat wears me out. Luckily I arrive early and have some time to wake up properly and a "second breakfast". Day at the office was uneventful. There are some strange frictions on the project as it nears it's completion, but I think we'll sort it out this week.

Catching up on some home chores. Hope I'd be able to finally fix my pad this week. Sorry, not many events or interesting/inspiring thoughs today, just writing this since it's a daily log. :)

I periodically think of "some specific platformer" last days but prefer to avoid it since I don't want to lauch another search cycle. I wonder if 20 minutes of doing nothing at evening are better than 20 minutes of playing. Perhaps it reboots one better especially when tired.

Day 16

Sleepy again. These monday train trips somewhat wears me out. Luckily I arrive early and have some time to wake up properly and a "second breakfast". Day at the office was uneventful. There are some strange frictions on the project as it nears it's completion, but I think we'll sort it out this week.

Catching up on some home chores. Hope I'd be able to finally fix my pad this week. Sorry, not many events or interesting/inspiring thoughs today, just writing this since it's a daily log. :)

I periodically think of "some specific platformer" last days but prefer to avoid it since I don't want to lauch another search cycle. I wonder if 20 minutes of doing nothing at evening are better than 20 minutes of playing. Perhaps it reboots one better especially when tired.

Hey you deserve it @HappyCat, better to spend time relaxing the only way you know how.

Day 17

Somewhat slow for a work day. We now have formal code review process which is not bad itself but clogs the work since our reviews are busy too. Still I managed to make base for a test framework and create some tests using it. Only to find out that these tests became obsolete by the time they were reviewed. This is just classics. ;)

At long last I did wet cleaning at home today, now writing a post feels so much better. I did postponed it week after week, but not playing gave me some bonus time.

Had a gaming-related conversation with my colleague about certain colony simulator. Discussing game desing was fun itself. Somehow it didn't make me want to play right that moment. Last days I feel desire to unwind as a light constant pressure at evening but laucnhing a game and getting to the point of it being fun is too much of a hassle) Gaming often prevents normal mind rest since I have to go over things, keep my attention at few points at the same time much like at the office, but without much purpose. This happens sometimes with Go too. Anyway, that's a bit of a complicated topic itself, especially when I try to write it all down in English.

House chores are tedious, good job doing what's right anyways.

I find some types of house chores relaxing after work day. This time I had fun since the appartment was visibly becoming a more comfortable place to be in.

Day 19

A strange day. I worked on few "critical" task formally but finished none of them because they are stuck on review phase. By the time I got home I was almost falling asleep, looks like weather's doing. Hot shower resurrected me so I am writing this post now. Nevertheless, I enjoying walking through the rain since I am well-equipped to do so)

Watched two new "Aboveguard" (solve the riddle to be triggerd) lore videos. I enjoyed video for what they are, installing the game back would be too long anyway. It's not like I don't want to play something, I sometimes even mentally skim throught the list of games I would play if were off detox. Funny how I came to appreciate library I already have instead of hunting for more. (:

Achievement corner: I was solving Go problems while commuting back home for the second time this week. This is a good way to regain my board reading strength. Hopefulyy I would find time to play some real life or online match, not just correspondece ones.

Almost there: Did 30 minutes of studying but had to spend it to set up more of environment which still didn't work. %)

Gratitude corner: Point goest to analysts from client's team, since they are react pretty appropriate to question about tasks. Another goes to my therapist, I can point out specific cases where skill he taught me were put to a good use, especially today.

Edited by HappyCat

House chores are tedious, good job doing what's right anyways.

I find some types of house chores relaxing after work day. This time I had fun since the appartment was visibly becoming a more comfortable place to be in.

Day 19

A strange day. I worked on few "critical" task formally but finished none of them because they are stuck on review phase. By the time I got home I was almost falling asleep, looks like weather's doing. Hot shower resurrected me so I am writing this post now. Nevertheless, I enjoying walking through the rain since I am well-equipped to do so)

Watched two new "Aboveguard" (solve the riddle to be triggerd) lore videos. I enjoyed video for what they are, installing the game back would be too long anyway. It's not like I don't want to play something, I sometimes even mentally skim throught the list of games I would play if were off detox. Funny how I came to appreciate library I already have instead of hunting for more. (:

Achievement corner: I was solving Go problems while commuting back home for the second time this week. This is a good way to regain my board reading strength. Hopefulyy I would find time to play some real life or online match, not just correspondece ones.

Almost there: Did 30 minutes of studying but had to spend it to set up more of environment which still didn't work. %)

Gratitude corner: Point goest to analysts from client's team, since they are react pretty appropriate to question about tasks. Another goes to my therapist, I can point out specific cases where skill he taught me were put to a good use, especially today.

Just keep at it buddy, glad you reasoned your way out of the video, i can't imagine the amount of downloading i would have to do to play one game, let alone multiple ones.

Day 20

Interesting day at work. I spent most of the time redoing some work the way I'd rather not do it, but such tasks happens once in a while. It required a lot of tedious testing which allowed me to listen some music as a nice bonus. Had final therapy session today. We examined few issues which I attributed to myself without considering my lifestyle for a past two weeks was a recipe for tiredness. I feel I can move on using on training furthers the set of skill I learnt, so big kudos to myself and the therapyst.

20 days ago I never thought I could make a week without gaming let alone 20 days. Speaking of tiredness, past two weeks with gaming/gamingsearching attaching would have made me really snappy.

Now I'm off to check some things with work/study environment from the previos day and do some packing.