NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Jess's Journal

albrechtjess

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp fell asleep before I could post last night. Went to a meetup today, decided not to go to a Halo Tournament thing. Went pretty well. I noticed I've been sleeping a lot. My passion and excitement seems to be really low at the moment. It was a good day but now that it's night I feel tired and want to be productive but I don't at the same time. It's rough.

- Jess

Day 13 

Got a lot of cleaning done and made a circle expand for an html project I'm working on :) I also started fasting after I watched an interesting video on eating once a day instead of a lot. Went 19 hours without food, I drank a lot of water. I have fasted before and I think it'll help me a lot with my diet and binge eating problems. I've cooked a nice meal both times with lots of goodies in it and feel very satisfied :) Now I just need to work on my schedule.

I spent some time organizing some old Yu-GI-Oh cards as I'll be playing some with a friend of mine here soon :) might play some pokemon cards with my room mate tonight and do some more programming and reading. Much better day than yesterday ^_^

- Jess

The fasting sort of motivates me to stay busy so I can let go of the hunger cravings. They come and go and it really is surprising when I notice they've gone away. Lots of water helps too :) I definitely couldn't dry fast or fast without water haha :) 

Day 14

Two weeks, woop woop, it feels like it's been longer but here I am :) Made some good improvements, I got a lot of work done today and I am super happy with that :) starting a routine and it should work in my favor for getting a new job. I'm applying for jobs every morning for two hours or so followed with some reading and programming. I'm shooting for 48 hours of fasting and then a meal. So far so good, It's wild how much the hunger comes and goes. Like it'll just be there and then the next thing I know it passes. Makes me think a lot about our cravings for games and food. They come and go and if you just let them go they'll go away. I'm not sure what I'm going to do after 48 hours. I might eat or I might just keep going. I drank a ton of water and tea today. I have quite a bit of body fat so I should be good for awhile. If I feel any pain I'm definitely going to eat again. I think after I lose my body fat I want to settle into a routine of eating once a day. Once a day with good meals so every meal feels like a treat. I've just had a really unhealthy relationship with food for a long time and I think this is helping a lot with my focus and habits. I just have to keep persevering. If I do okay I might go for a 72 hour fast. I don't think I want to go longer than that. It kind of scares me. Certainly people have done longer so longer is achievable. I think I'll use some of my time to research it a bit more to be safe. On to tomorrow :) 

- Jess 

Man be aware because you can hurt yourself with fasting. If you fasting your body will consume first muscles than fat because it need fast energy resources. Please for your health read something about healthy eating and diet, especially books from doctors. You must eat 5-6x per day. If you will fasting long time your body will store all of your meal into fat beccause it will be thinking it necessary to have some resources for future because now is starving. 

Edited by Onlysoul

Man be aware because you can hurt yourself with fasting. If you fasting your body will consume first muscles than fat because it need fast energy resources. Please for your health read something about healthy eating and diet, especially books from doctors. You must eat 5-6x per day. If you will fasting long time your body will store all of your meal into fat beccause it will be thinking it necessary to have some resources for future because now is starving. 

This was the video I watched that inspired the fasting.

From what I read your body does consume muscle but only after you've reached a starvation state and are free of body fat. Now a starvation state is different than a fasting state. A starvation state is reached after you've burnt all of your body fat. Here's a link to an article I read on the subject. https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-muscle-mass

There's also a few ted talks on the subject. Some of them are linked in that YouTube video's description. 

Edited by albrechtjess

Day 15

It started off very challenging but got better in the middle. I woke up late, with cramps and hunger pains. I was very tired and was writing a post about to close early on my fast but was able to meditate and then found a cool internship opportunity with HTC to apply for and that got me through to work where I rewarded myself with a larger packed lunch than usual and then could only finish half of it haha but anyways I'm super happy I made it through the 48 hour fast, I had never done so and I feel like I learned a lot about my hunger and eating habits. I'm not sure how strictly I will stay with once a day but I think it's a good goal to move towards to better encourage my focus and health. I feel really tired still and kind of like sleeping in tomorrow but we'll see what I decide. Also downloaded the Game Quitters podcast and am enjoying it so far. Later

- Jess 

Day 16

Today went okay, I didn't wake up on time again but I did get some good programming work in on a new project of mine. I haven't read in awhile which would be nice to do. Maybe I'll read some tonight. Work was frustrating, everything got delayed an hour and customers were not happy. Then they fired my friend :( pretty sad about that, I think she'll be okay though. I'm pretty happy that I've been programming and job applying just about everyday. This is what I've been wanting to do for a long time and I'm super happy I am on board with it and plan to keep going everyday until I get a job I'm proud of :) I keep thinking about what happens after I get that 9-5 job. Will I start gaming again since I'll have time? I feel like i might just stop. I kind of feel like I'm ready to move on. It annoys me a bit that games much like cigarettes and alcohol is specifically crafted and marketed for addictive consumption. I always had this dream game that I'd love to make. Maybe i'll try to make that instead of playing them and that can be my last hoorah for the gaming world. I don't know I'll figure out when I get there. For now it's applications and programming. 

- Jess Albrecht

Day 17

I got super triggered this morning, it's like all the work I've done all week hasn't happened and like I am the old me. I keep stressing and jumping to food and social media and just trying to escape. I ate a lot of bad food today. I had no impulse control. I feel tired, like I'm tired of trying. Maybe I just to take a little bit and recharge, go for a walk, read a book. I think I should have done some of that today but I was in a tough spot. 

- Jess

Day 18

Today was okay, got a little work done though not a whole lot. I haven't woke up on time in 3 days so I should probably fix that so I can be more consistent. Work was easy going and nice for the most part. Ate a little too much so need to figure that out too. 

- Jess 

Day 19

Today was such a wild ride, got a little bit of reading done, took a nap. Went to costco and listened to the gamequitters podcast which was quite interesting talking about new perspectives and the like. Then I got to play with some new Virtual Reality tech that a friend of mine is working on and it was amazing. Virtual Reality is so interesting because it's the start of an industry and it's kind of something I'd like to be a part of but I can't help but struggle a bit in wondering where my place in it all is. I'll be interviewing tomorrow for a VR position and I'm super stoked for it but I'm curious what the next step will be after it if I were to get the position. Guess we'll find out when I get there. 

Day 20

Wow I just realized I forgot to hit submit reply yesterday haha so I just hit it and will start tonight's. Today was wild, I had a really good interview with great conversations and hopefully it'll continue forward into a job. It'd be amazing to meet my goal this early into respawn. If I am to hit my goal it'd leave me with a lot of questions and kind of unsure how to move forward. All I've wanted is an awesome job with some good evening time for friends and activities and this opportunity would likely allow for that. It would even allow for some time to game guilt free as I wouldn't have to work towards finding a job anymore, or at least I think that's what I'd feel. I guess I do still feel like I've got some additional goals with my programming and learning and detox. I think this has brought a lot of vision towards how I can spend my time outside of gaming to bring positive results. It's odd that gaming almost seems selfish to me because it's just taking my time for my own personal entertainment and not building something else that could benefit others. It's an interesting perspective but definitely something I'm feeling at the moment. Thinking about all the additional places I could go if I can get this job and advance further in the company. Certainly some exciting doors and we'll see what happens. For now I think I'll try focus a bit on some programming and maybe some reading before work tomorrow. Keep that progress a going haha later

- Jess