Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Quitters App

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas so far for the app. Are you able to outsource any of the app development by chance? I'm sure that there are folks here who have some background in app programming that could help make the process easier for you.

Why do you feel that HabitRPG is on the wrong side of this? Have you checked out other gamification-like apps? There's a comprehensive collection of them in this reddit thread right there. Maybe it can give us some ideas on what we want, or possibly we could use an existing one with our own user-made challenges for people in this community: https://www.reddit.com/r/productivity/comments/3dtjo0/what_app_do_you_use_for_gain_new_habits/

1 person likes this

Posted

Why do you feel that HabitRPG is on the wrong side of this? Have you checked out other gamification-like apps?

?Hey! Sorry I forgot to reply to this until now.

I feel like HabitRPG just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. An app I believe that gets the gamification stuff right is Coach.me. I imagine the app development will either be outsourced or be done by a member(s) of the community who come together.

My idea for now is pretty simple. Have a list of different skills you can develop (confidence, social skills, empathy, discipline, tenacity, etc..) that each have different missions you can go on to grow in each way. Let's say each mission will have a briefing (the mission itself) + tutorials/lessons so they can succeed. Ideally I'd want 365 missions so you can go on 1 new one per day if you wanted. Missions will vary in difficulty but are centralized around taking action, giving you a greater sense of purpose and making it fun.

We can also have a social network side of each mission having a discussion (maybe the discussion is exclusive for those who have "completed" the mission?), and a tab for the forum and general overall discussion around the community.

You can have your character tab where you set your vision/goals for yourself, and have daily check-ins on the habits/missions you need to complete?

Apps for inspiration: DaVinci Time, Coach.me

==

So that's the plan eventually. For now I'm focusing more on having more people go through the Game Quitters Challenge which is the first level I see in all of this - 30 missions you can go on. Right now it's a PDF, I will improve it to be online w/ videos and then improve it to be a web app version (integrated with the forum?).

I just want to use the Challenge as a way of validating more of the process that the app will replicate, instead of spending a lot of time (and potentially $) building out an app atm. So far the people who have committed to the challenge have enjoyed it, and with more feedback and improvements I really believe in its process.

1 person likes this

Posted

Your work here is changing lives! I love being a part of this!

Posted

Your work here is changing lives! I love being a part of this!

?Thanks for being a part of it man! :)

Posted

I was thinking we could just insert the forum into an App, cuz I am on mobile a lot, and I'm not the biggest fan of the mobile site. Zane presented a lot of great ideas too. By the way, if an app comes out, PLEASE make it available on the Windows store (unfortunately my phone is NOT a Samsung, and there are already so many limitations to what I can do :(

I swear what field...

Posted

I was thinking we could just insert the forum into an App, cuz I am on mobile a lot, and I'm not the biggest fan of the mobile site. Zane presented a lot of great ideas too. By the way, if an app comes out, PLEASE make it available on the Windows store (unfortunately my phone is NOT a Samsung, and there are already so many limitations to what I can do :(

I will keep this all in mind.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was going to suggest this idea as well. Reason being, computers and laptops could be the trigger for Computer gamers. I myself stuck to console games and since I sold my console have had the easiest time getting through this. I feel an app on a phone would help keep computer gamers away from any possible triggers.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was going to suggest this idea as well. Reason being, computers and laptops could be the trigger for Computer gamers. I myself stuck to console games and since I sold my console have had the easiest time getting through this. I feel an app on a phone would help keep computer gamers away from any possible triggers.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's definitely something we're working on. Trying to get some funding together for it right now.

Posted (edited)

Ah.. mobile apps can run really expensive. Hopefully this comes to fruition one day,  but from personal experience, depending on the complexity of the app, you could be looking at $40,000 for something well-made.

Edited by GoldenGains

Posted

Ah.. mobile apps can run really expensive. Hopefully this comes to fruition one day,  but from personal experience, depending on the complexity of the app, you could be looking at $40,000 for something well-made.

yep. One step at a time. I may run a kickstarter for it later this year. 

Posted

I love the idea of "gamified" app (to some extend) Was going to add my own suggestions but they have mostly benn written down already - Alas I am always late to the party.

What I would love to see would be achivements like "10 days done" and so on and potential motivating videos by cam as "unlocks"  Nothing complicated just cam saying something along the lines "You rock man" I find his videos to be extremly encouraging :D

This is of course my very own personal approach and I have zero experience with app building.

However one person desinging challenges for others is not such a great idea in my opinion since we all have quite different interests, hobbies and even abilitys. We should create our own challenges for ourselfs. Infact this is my approach during my first 12 days and its working suprisingly well - however I am totaly aware that this is very subjectiv.

1 person likes this