What are three things you're grateful for today? Share in your journal. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I want to rule the world

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, my name is Egon and I have shit to do. Last year at a new years party, I was so unhappy because I had given up things that I loved like salsa dancing and martial arts in 2015. I failed almost all of my psychology courses and got put on academic probation. I was also excluded from a university in 2015 and had the opportunity to go out with some of the coolest passionate women I have ever met, but due to lack of experience, confidence and all sorts of self doubt, I missed those opportunities. But hey, at least I got 100% trophy completion in Resident Evil 7.

I tried the detox this year as part of my new years resolution for 6 weeks, I did good but failed and ended up playing Alien Isolation. Gaming is my crutch and I tend to play games now when I'm unhappy, so what I've decided to do is sell almost all of my games and game consoles (PS3 and PS4). I've wiped out my hard drive on the PS4 and am currently selling my console. I've given almost all my games to my brother and his missus who have uploaded photos of my games on gumtree. I'm feeling excited but angry, I'm turning 30 this May and I'm not where I want to be. One exception I will make for video games though, is I'm not going to stop social gaming with friends when I chill at there houses, so it'll be interesting to see whether it's possible to only game socially or whether that will be the cause of wanting to game again. If I fail or succeed I'll post my experience here. I hope to sell my games for a lot of money as I want to buy a jiujitsu gi.

Edited by Egon
5 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the forums mate! You've come to the right place. And it's good to see another Aussie here, we should start a coup ;)

Be careful with the social gaming at your friends house, specifically the preoccupation which might follow. I tried that method as well, but then I would spend days in the lead up or afterwards just non stop thinking about the game(s) and some strategies how I could kick ass next time. So much productivity lost for a few hours of laughs. 

Initially it might work, but in the long run you're probably going to want to build different hobbies with your friends or different things to talk about. You might be surprised about how wide the interests of your friends are, I know I sure was when I started declining talking about games. We walk among some seriously intelligent people who have so much to offer.

3 people like this

Posted

Very cool man, thank you for the advice, I'm a bit skeptical about whether it would work too but I want to try it anyway. We should start a coup ;).

Posted

Welcome - I played with my friends this sunday but I found it so boring and asked them if they would play a board game instead.

Posted

Welcome to the forums. Highly recommend for you to NOT play social games at least during the 90 day detox - reevaluate afterwards. Instead, take this opportunity to take initiative and organize things to do outside of people's homes where gaming will be the main activity.

3 people like this