Looking for a coach? Apply here to work with Cam 1 on 1.

I just destroyed all the video games in my house!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I've been gaming for 28 years ever since I was 6 years old. I've taken brief breaks in the past, but I got addicted to ESO and I actually lost control. I realized that in the past year I've put over 1,000 hours into gaming. I live in a remote arctic location where winter lasts for 9 months. I have lived in this part of the world for almost 10 years after growing up in the deep south. I started doing EMS a year ago with the local fire department and have encountered some things that have been incredibly difficult to process. I have 5 children and am in the process of adopting another child from our community. I have a full life with lots of support and motivation, but I've been making excuses. I went into a survival mode recently and starting playing games anytime I could for hours at a time. It's been affecting my eating, sleeping, thoughts, relationships, and I have gotten severely dysfunctional. I don't know if the addiction with gaming has caused depression or if it is really just a manifestation of my discouragement. Gaming has been one element among other things, but it has become addictive for me in an unhealthy way. There are things that I can't or won't say in a public introduction. The other night I got into an argument with my wife. Later, after everyone was asleep, I destroyed ALL the video games in my home. My wife and children are supportive and it has been several days now, but I think this forum is a group that I need to help me not relapse. I have lots of responsibility and some people look up to me for spiritual help. I'm not just detoxing. I want a life without gaming and I want to help others with some of the wise words I've hear from Cam so far. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

28_yrs_of_gaming

9 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the community! This forum can definitely help you avoid relapse. I'm proud of you for making the decision to quit. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks. I appreciate the extra support on here. :)

Posted

Welcome!

Now you made it clear you want to quit by destroying your games. Congrats with that. In a way, you won't be "contaminating" your children with games I guess, or do they also game? How old are your children if I may ask? If they are old enough, you could try boardgames. Socializing with people, your children (and wife) in this case while stil having some fun. Of course you won't be able to put that many hours in boardgames again but that's not a problem.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the interest. :) My children have been gaming for a while. My oldest is 17 and is the least into gaming. My ten year old twins game more. The boy twin is more avid. My 7 yr and 4 yr old have been sucked into gaming more this past year and it was getting unhealthy for their development. The baby is just getting into everything. My wife was playing on her phone some, but she mostly watches shows on her tablet. The boys WERE playing chess today, so that's a good sign. I noticed they don't mind the video games being gone. I think they just wanted ME back full-time more than the games. That makes this easier. My wife likes Settlers of Catan. We argue when we play it, but we might give it another try. I can be very competitive and her style is compromising and peaceful. She says, "It's Settlers of Catan NOT Warriors of Catan!" I said, "Yes, but there's expansions for that! Haha!" I also play cards at the fire house with my co-workers when things get really slow. Played a round with my kids yesterday. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome!

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, impressive! That takes of a lot of effort of not just hiding or putting away everything, but destroying them. A good sign for your future!

1 person likes this

Posted

You're a strong man keep it up !

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm amazed that you've managed so much responsibility. It sounds like you are headed down a great path. Continue the positive effort!

1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulations about making the decision to quit gaming and welcome to the community.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you all for the kinds words and support. I hope I can be a help to all of you in the future as well. The best any of us can do is take things one day at a time. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

That's an awesome attitude to have.

1 person likes this