d1rtydeedz

DAY # -  16

Time I woke up: 0430

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  1130

Exercise:  notta

Mental task: notta

Projects:  Work.

Miscellaneous accomplishments: 

1. Began transition to sleeping during the day.
  2. Took the three big kids out.
  3. Worked on some coding.
  4. Went to work.

Summary of Day #:

Woke up and jumped right in to doing something with my three oldest.  Took them to McDonald's to burn off some energy while I happily watched my 18 month old follow around my two older kids in the 'big kids' section of the play place.   Worked on a little coding then went to work.  Work was good, got caught up on a lot of areas.  I should be back on top of things within a day or two.  Taking a month off definitely presents challenges when you return.  Upgrading to Windows 10 caused a bunch of games to pop up in the start menu.  Found myself missing minecraft but just deleted the app and moved on.  The wife has begun asking me about my Game Quitters journey every couple days or so.  It's nice she's given it importance.  Oh yea, I purchased the 90 day challenge video series to support Cam and the site.  Figured it was the least I could do seeing as how I'm obviously taking advantage of the forum.

What I am grateful for today:

My wife.

~ My faith.

~ Hanging with my kids.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  17

Time I woke up: 1130

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  0630

Mental task: notta

1. Pretty much a zombie day.

Summary of Day #:

Got home and tried sleeping in the camper but found out I had no propane.  Seeing as how it was only 20 degrees out, it was a bit chilly.  Could only handle 1 1/2 hours in the camper then came inside.  Tried to stay awake but that wasn't happening.  Crawled in bed around 0830 and slept until 1130.  Got up to watch the kids while the wife took a nap because she had a rough night with the new little guy.  Coffee is my new best friend.

My wife.

~ My faith.

~ My kids.

~ Coffee.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  18

Time I woke up: 0730

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  2300

Mental task: Exercised self control during computer issues.

Projects:  Computer issues.

1. Reinstalled Windows 10.
  2. Read a book, "Old Man and The Sea".

Summary of Day #:

Woke up this morning to find my computer stuck in the Windows 10 log-in loop from hell.  Found out this is a somewhat common and very frustrating problem with Windows 10 (why did I 'upgrade' from Windows 7?).  Spent nearly the entire day figuring out how to fix the problem.  Ended up reinstalling Windows 10, then spent a bunch more time reinstalling lost programs.  For some reason during this reinstall I lost a bunch of software.  Now I'm afraid to turn the computer off or restart it.  If it occurs again, I'm going back to  Windows 7.  Had  a few urges to play some computer games but distracted myself with other things.  Read "Old Man and The Sea"; it's been years since I've read it.  It's a great quick read and well worth it.  Didn't get much else done today.

My wife.

~ My faith.

~ My kids.

~ Having Windows 7 as a plan B.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  19

Time I woke up0530

Exercise:  1/2 hr run, 3/4 hr karate class.

Mental task: Began learning a new kata.

Projects:  Errands.

1. Finished getting computer squared away.
  2. Fixed crack in bathroom door.
  3. Attended daughter's mini concert at her school.
  4. Went for a run.
  5. Karate class.

Summary of Day #:

Woke up to a computer which worked, so that was a plus.  Got the kids off to school then sat down and did a little computer work.  Ran out and got my hair cut, I was at the "either cut it or braid it" phase.  Ran a bunch more errands.  Smacked my hand hard against the bathroom door this morning, causing a crack.  So, I learned how to fix a cracked, hollow-core door.  Went to watch my daughter sing at a mini-concert put on by her school.  It was a lot of fun watching her, and she loves the attention.  Ran to my karate class tonight, and ran home, sucked both ways but I need the exercise.  Karate class was pretty good, began working on my first kata.  I feel extremely uncoordinated and clumsy in karate.  It is definitely a lesson for the body and mind.  It humbles you but makes you feel powerful all at the same time.

My wife, I really am lucky to have her.

~ Watching my son in karate.

~ Watching my daughter sing.

~ Karate.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  20

Time I woke up0700

Exercise:  1 hr kata practice.

Mental task: Read.

Projects:  Training.

1. Chores.
  2. Training.
  3. Kata.

Summary of Day #:

Woke up intending to have a busy day of training to prepare for tomorrow's annual certifications.  However, ended up spending the day at home with my eldest son whom was sick.  I did get a couple of hours of training in during the evening.  Watched a movie with the family.

My wife.

~ My kids.

~ My faith.

~ Karate.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  21

Time I woke up0545

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  2245

Exercise:  3 hrs training/certifications, 1/2 kata.

Mental task: Kata, reading.

Projects:  Annual certs.

1. Passed annual certs.

Summary of Day #:

Today was a memorable day, both good and scary.  My partner and I did very well at annual certifications today; enough so to be proud.  Near the end of certs I get a VM from the wife stating our daughter (6 years old today) possibly had a seizure at kindergarten and was on her way to the ER.  Yea, scary stuff.  The Doc believes it's nothing to worry about at this time unless she suffers additional episodes.  For those who are willing, prayers her (Isabelle's) way, would be gratefully appreciated.

~ My wife.

~ My kids.

~ My faith.

~ Our children's good health.

10-8 at my 42.

Scary to hear about your daughter, sending positive thoughts in both of your directions. Glad to hear the doctor's diagnosis is nothing to worry about at this time.

I have a hard time picturing life with children, it must be so fulfilling, terrifying, exhausting, exciting... keep up the good work all around. :)

Edited by Simms

DAY # -  22

Time I woke up0600

Exercise:  1/2 hr kata training.

1. Practiced kata.
  2. Work.

Summary of Day #:

Woke up early with the kids then had an afternoon nap to get ready for work.  Practiced my kata then went to work.

~ My wife.

~ My kids.

~ My faith.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  23

Time I woke up1200

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  0500

Exercise:  1/2 hr kata.

1. Work.

Summary of Day #:

Spent most of my work day playing catch up and completing reports.  Got a lot accomplished and am nearly caught up.  Practiced my kata a bit as well.  I find practicing my kata really helps my concentration and gives me focus.  During the work week I really don't have time for much else.  I haven't touched coding in days.  Hopefully I can get back in to it soon.

~ My wife.

~ My kids.

~ My faith.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  24

Time I woke up: 1200

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  0500

Exercise:  3 hrs of yard work.

Mental task: Reading.

Projects:  Yard work.

1. Raked front lawn.
  2. Worked on camper.
  3. Cleaned front walk-way.

Summary of Day:

Got up and took the kids outside so the wife and baby could take a nap.  Ended up doing a bunch of yard work, spring is starting to show.  Also worked on the camper for a while; mainly removed a broken porch light and prepared the surface for the install of a new one tomorrow.  I've definitely been more productive since I began this journey.  Sometimes it's because I want to be, other times it's because I have to be.  All-in-all, I'm valuing the benefits of leaving the gaming behind.

~ Nice days to work outside.

~ The oncoming of spring.

~ Accomplished physical tasks.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  25

Time I woke up: 0730

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  2330

Exercise:  Yard work 1hr.

Projects:  Worked on camper.

1. Ran errands.
  2. Replaced porch light on camper.
  3. Filled up a couple propane tanks.
  4. Cleaned limbs out of back yard.

Summary of Day:

Very windy today, hard to get much done outside.  I did pick up some large limbs which broke off the neighbour's trees and fell in to my back yard.  I then read a couple books to my middle boy and ran some errands with him.  Stopped by the hardware store and bought some gear for the camper, including a new porch light which I began working on yesterday.  Installed the new porch light with new led lights I also purchased.  Incidentally the two led lights were more expensive than the porch light itself, in fact twice as expensive.  Also filled up a couple propane tanks to start getting ready for camping season, can't wait.  Read quite a bit today, only thought of gaming now and then.  It's a good thing I uninstalled all games and gaming software b/c the temptation would be much greater.

~ Upcoming camping season.

~ My new porch light install went well.

~ Fun days with the kids.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  26 through 34 (March 16th)

Time I woke up0830

Time I went to sleep yesterday:  0030

Exercise:  Been staying steady with karate, practicing Kata quite a bit.

Mental task: A lot of kata, a lot of reading.

Projects:  General honey-dos, yard work, etc etc.

1. Completed my yearly goal for work.
  2. Karate.
  3. Getting ready for Spring.
  4. Work work work work.

Summary of Day:

After more than a week away, I thought it best to update my journal.  No, I haven't relapsed or anything, I've merely been extremely busy.  I'm no longer on paternity leave and combining getting caught up with a month of work and other work-related tasks which were pouring in, I found myself very very busy.  I've hardly even been on my computer, too busy with other things.  My work schedule also changed which has taken me some time to get used to.  I've gone through a few moments when I longed for gaming but it quickly passed.  

Honestly, I was just intending on checking Game Quitters really quickly before heading to work again when I noticed Simms' above comment.  It made me feel updating my journal important, even if I can't get to it as often as before.  That's part of what this is all about, correct?  Getting away from the computer and finding yourself busy through other, more important means.  Guess it's working.  Actually, I know it's working, and I'm grateful.  

I've also regretfully failed to check in with my accountability partner during this whole time. So, after this journal entry, it's the first thing I'm going to do.  Sorry partner, I hope you're doing well.

~ Simms' push.

~ Being busy.

~ Seeing Cam's program work within myself.

10-8 at my 42.

Love your perspective on finding yourself so busy through other things it's hard to keep up. - Living life, being engaged. Love it.

Glad to see things are still going well, and that you plan to check in from time to time! :)

• 2 weeks later...

DAY # -  35 through 47 (March 29th)

Summary:

Well, it's been another couple of weeks and here I find myself past the mid-way point of the 90 day challenge.  I have to say, there's been ups and downs, but mostly ups.  The desire to play a game is still there but much more easily managed.   I've been taking my karate training much more seriously and am progressing well.  The main thing holding me back is my flexibility, or lack thereof.  Most of the classes are full of younger folk, but I'm sticking with it as my goal is a lifetime of karate with my son(s).  I still feel a bit silly being the old guy in the class but it has helped to teach me humility.  I am getting a lot of benefits out of it: more exercise in my life, increasing my flexibility, challenging my body and mind.  I think these are things we tend to let go of as we grow older, at least in the American culture.  I lost my dad when I was fourteen to a heart attack and I think about him often.  How things would have been different, if I would have been different.  Then I think about my own four wonderful children and how I don't want to put them through the same pain and loss at such a young age.  I feel it's a parent's job to raise their children, and that means sticking around long enough to do it.  Get off the couch, and get active.  Move more, eat healthier, play with your kids.  Otherwise, you may wake up one day to find they no longer want to play with you.

Unintentionally (or maybe intentionally), Game Quitters has facilitated much more personal reflection.  I'm ashamed of myself for all the lost time, but driven to improve upon myself and leave my mark on this world.  Be a positive impact on others, be kind, be empathetic.  Be a strong person, stand up for what you believe in, defend those who cannot defend themselves.  We are a community, we are one.

10-8 at my 42.

• 4 weeks later...

DAY # -  48 through 74 (April 25th)

Summary:

Life has changed.  I've begun to settle in to a new normal.  I go to bed much earlier, get up earlier and am much more productive around the house and yard.  I'm getting things done now, completing projects and moving on to new projects without blinking.  I told the wife the other day, "I don't know how I had time for gaming before with everything that needs to be done."  Her response:  "You didn't get much done before..."  Ha, ever blunt and to the point.  She's right though, can't fault her for that.

I've thought back on occasion to the days I'd spend doing little else but gaming.  I remember the negative effects it used to have:  shorter temper, shorter attention span, lack of interest in real life, and lack of motivation in all non-game related activities.  I've begun to wonder if I can ever sit down and play a recreational game without slipping back in to the bad habits.  I've begun to wonder if I care to.

I think more clearly now, I'm more focused, and my old drive has returned.  My productivity has soared.

It's interesting to reflect on the changes and realize they are all attributed to one previous aspect of my life: gaming.  I pray those beginning their own journey have as much success as I've had.  Don't give in, be critical of yourself, be patient, and you too will find your new normal.

Life is not only better without gaming for myself; but also for those around me.

Sixteen days left, but I don't plan to stop there...Thank-you Cam; what you've done here makes a difference.  Be proud of yourself.

10-8 at my 42.

DAY # -  48 through 74 (April 25th)

Summary:

Life has changed.  I've begun to settle in to a new normal.  I go to bed much earlier, get up earlier and am much more productive around the house and yard.  I'm getting things done now, completing projects and moving on to new projects without blinking.  I told the wife the other day, "I don't know how I had time for gaming before with everything that needs to be done."  Her response:  "You didn't get much done before..."  Ha, ever blunt and to the point.  She's right though, can't fault her for that.

I've thought back on occasion to the days I'd spend doing little else but gaming.  I remember the negative effects it used to have:  shorter temper, shorter attention span, lack of interest in real life, and lack of motivation in all non-game related activities.  I've begun to wonder if I can ever sit down and play a recreational game without slipping back in to the bad habits.  I've begun to wonder if I care to.

I think more clearly now, I'm more focused, and my old drive has returned.  My productivity has soared.

It's interesting to reflect on the changes and realize they are all attributed to one previous aspect of my life: gaming.  I pray those beginning their own journey have as much success as I've had.  Don't give in, be critical of yourself, be patient, and you too will find your new normal.

Life is not only better without gaming for myself; but also for those around me.

Sixteen days left, but I don't plan to stop there...Thank-you Cam; what you've done here makes a difference.  Be proud of yourself.

10-8 at my 42.

Thanks for sharing a great update! Really proud of you for all of your progress.