1000 DAYS ACCOUNTIBILITY

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, hello everyone!

Recently some people joined to my 1000 days challenge. Those are:

@Simon E

@Schwing

@WorkInProgress

Thank you all for that. Your engagement inspired me to do something bigger here.

I want to make a group of people willing to work on themselves to finally get rid of the whole addiction and start living with your intentions and missions, whatever they are.

We need at least 5 people to start, and we'll work on the system called Minyan.

What it is?

The Minyan is a closed circle of people (often 5-12) when you're responsible for someone and the other person is responsible for you. That's really important aspect in accountibility, so we'll work on this basis.

When you get responsible for someone, this means you want him to recover and become a better person by getting rid of video games addiction he or she has. Your basic task will be following someone's journal and replying to it especially when someone has a difficulties on his or her journey. I know that even if it doesn't sound like a lot to do, it DOES make a difference in many situations. I know because I'm here on this forum for over the year and trying to reply to other people journals when I have some free time. It helped not only others, but also helped ME a lot. This feeling of being necessary to the important community.

Obviously if you join, you'll also have someone who'll support you all the way! It's a win-win situation. :)

The person who you'll be responsible for will be chosen randomly. At 15th January 2017 we'll start our 1000 DAYS journal all together and without video games. This will last until 12nd October 2019 (That's when the 1000 days will be achieved, it's almost 3 years, but during that time we'll be making an incredible progress!)

Also, because I call it "1000 DAYS CHALLENGE" each specified time (I think weekly basis will work well, but I'm opened to any suggestions) I'll add challenges to do. I have a bunch of them, and they'll easy to do things that won't interrupt your life goals, but by doing them you'll make the difference in this world.

Sometimes Challenge will be tasks to be done by yourself, sometimes to do with the person you'll be accountable for.

Why am I doing it? Because I got into personal development and all that field almost 5 years ago. I know what works and what doesn't so this way I can share this knowledge with other people who are struggling with video games issue here and feel more fulfilled. Also, this kind of accountibility will boost my own discipline and this is something I need on my journey (I will be also in Minyan too, so if you want to be accountable for/be accountable by Mad Pharmacist just let me know!

If you're interested into this kind of big accountibility plan, just hit the reply, and answer the question: "What specific I want to achieve in next 1000 days!"

I'm waiting until 15th January 2017 and then I'll make a randomly-chosen Minyans.

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

4 people like this

Posted

What I have in my signature right now isn't necessarily a 1000 days challenge. But I'm with you for sure on the 14th!

1 person likes this

Posted

I like your idea, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm able to promise someone to keep them accountable and always be there for them, since that's a pretty big thing to say. In other words, I do not want to make a promise that I might not be able to keep. 

In addition to that, I barely notice cravings any longer, and thus I might not accountability as desperately as someone else might. 

It's a great idea, but maybe not just for me - I'll have to think it through.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you're interested into this kind of big accountibility plan, just hit the reply, and answer the question: "What specific I want to achieve in next 1000 days!"

Soudns definitely interesting. The Problem si that 1000 days is far away so it is hard to find a specific to achieve. Can you give maybe one or two examples how this specific would look like? Should this be a big Goal? Or more in the sense of things we want to / don't want to do in These 1000 days?

I don't want to agree too challenges in forefront because  I don't know how my situation will be when they arive. And even if they are easily done ebsides my life I try to be intentional with commitments. I am pretty sure that I stay in this Forum though and I read some journals anyway so I'll definitely join this little mastmind accountability Group :)

Edited by WorkInProgress
1 person likes this

Posted

I like your idea, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm able to promise someone to keep them accountable and always be there for them, since that's a pretty big thing to say. In other words, I do not want to make a promise that I might not be able to keep.

Being accountable doesn't mean being in front of him and his cravings 24hous a day 7 times a week.

The main issue is that you're following his or her journal (some people write daily, others even once a week!) and you're able to reply when you'll have a time.

Instead of focusing just on your journal you're also supportive for someone else. And this way you'll feel much better.

Trust me, it's the power of giving something to someone else!

And you don't need to make any accountibility calls, but sometimes when you'll see that someone disappeared for week or two and previously said that he'll write on daily basis, you can just ask him on PM e.g. "What's going on? I'm here to support you, and I want to know if something is wrong..." Sometimes even simple message can make HUGE difference and impact on other addict.

In addition to that, I barely notice cravings any longer, and thus I might not accountability as desperately as someone else might. 

Well, I should remind you, that we can't help everyone.

Some people seriously needs help right now. They're playing for 16 hours every day for last couple of years. But they don't want any help!

And we can help only people that are willing to obtain this help. You're one of them.

Also, you should read something from my accountibility journal about cravings EVEN AFTER FINISHED DETOX!

Journal entry #66
Days game free: 107

Days procrastination free: 3

Yesterday, I've felt into tuff situation. It was very hard for me to deal with the emotions; I couldn't sleep. Some kind of anxiety and depression hit me that night, together with physical symptoms like shaking hands, feeling something like my nervous system is burning. I've had the strongest cravings, since I've decided to quit and I knew that gaming will easily ease that pain. Deep inside I somehow knew/felt that this symptoms comes from no-gaming; from lack of temporary escape.

Think about it.

It's a great idea, but maybe not just for me - I'll have to think it through.

So, I'll leave you with your decision, think it through and make it only by yourself.

1 person likes this

Posted

Soudns definitely interesting. The Problem si that 1000 days is far away so it is hard to find a specific to achieve. Can you give maybe one or two examples how this specific would look like? Should this be a big Goal? Or more in the sense of things we want to / don't want to do in These 1000 days?

What I meant was, in what point of life do you want to be and what can you do if you abstain from video games for 1000 days? That's a lot of time, and without doing anything to fill voids that gaming left in our minds, there is no need to do this kind of challenges. This is just reaching beyond the detox and achieving the best version of ourselves in non-gaming real world.

I don't want to agree too challenges in forefront because  I don't know how my situation will be when they arive. And even if they are easily done ebsides my life I try to be intentional with commitments. I am pretty sure that I stay in this Forum though and I read some journals anyway so I'll definitely join this little mastmind accountability Group :)

The challenges are going to be like a sidequest. There is something more you can do if you'll manage to have time, but if not, that's still fine. You're still in Minyan, and the most important thing is to focus on someone's recovery by reading his or her journal and support him on his way. But doing it with just one person, and not from time to time, but seriously when the person will need that.

I want to make the daily journal section be more reliable on members of community. Remember the time when @Cam Adair was in Tanzania? I felt like this forum became a zombie forum, where people were only writing in their journals from time to time, and barely anyone were supporting them.

Obviously, Cameron is just a normal guy, and when he's writing reply to EVERY journal entry, it's more focused on quantity than quality. When I did massive replies, I felt like I also was focused on quantity more. The main goal will be to focus on quality support here. This way we can encourage more new members to stay here for more that just week or two, when the whole forum will stop concentrating on them.

So, to make sure, should I count you in the "1000 DAYS ACCOUNTIBILITY"? :)

1 person likes this

Posted

So, to make sure, should I count you in the "1000 DAYS ACCOUNTIBILITY"? :)

Now with a more clear idea of what I agree too it will be my pleasure ot be a part of this :)

Posted

Winner_I_Win.thumb.gif.7ce8ef0a20f145864

Posted

@dandielionous

Hey you are still here :) What is up with that Gif?

Posted

I'm in!

Just one little note from me: I don't think we should really choose partners at random. We want to quit gaming - this is something we all have in common, but there are other goals we want to achieve. IE. Someone wants to learn how to play a guitar, then we should make him accountable with someone who knows how to play, or at least wants to learn too. This way we will create more valuable accountability

Posted

Winner_I_Win.thumb.gif.7ce8ef0a20f145864

You mean you survived to 4th January without games? That makes us both winners! :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm in!

Just one little note from me: I don't think we should really choose partners at random. We want to quit gaming - this is something we all have in common, but there are other goals we want to achieve. IE. Someone wants to learn how to play a guitar, then we should make him accountable with someone who knows how to play, or at least wants to learn too. This way we will create more valuable accountability

That makes 4 of us so far.

We should make this kind of survey for all participants :)

Posted

I'm also joining. I feel that I need these 1000 days to get my life back on track.

Posted

I'm also joining. I feel that I need these 1000 days to get my life back on track.

That makes 5 of us so far.

Anyone else willing to take a part of 1000 days accountibility?

Posted

We have 11 days left. What do we do until then?

At the moment I am thinking about my goals in these 3 years.