Will you join me in building a well in Tanzania? Learn More (5 days left!)

Time for something new

145 posts in this topic

Posted

Thinking about games will go away over time, but it will likely take more time for it to go away than you think! All good, notice the thoughts and let them pass like clouds in the sky.

Posted

Today is day 15 of my game free life and it hasn't been easy but I've been successful thus far.

Overall I've been doing pretty good with being productive, but there are days that are not very productive. Some days I find myself wasting a lot of time or sometimes I feel like I'm bored and unsure as to what to do. It's a constant work in progress that I'm sure will get better over time.

Since I've quit gaming I've been able to do more reading and recently I've gotten back into learning Japanese. Also now that the weather has started to get better I've been able to be more active( ie. walking to and from work). I want to be able to drop those unnecessary pounds and get in shape.

Though at times it may seem too difficult and I may feel like giving up, I want to reach my goals so I will keep fighting. It would be so easy for me to give up and go right back to gaming but I know that I'm the long run it won't accomplish anything. If anything I will feel even worse and I no longer want gaming to control my life. 

In the past gaming was a great stress reliever but I struggled to limit the time I was gaming. I would sometimes say I'll only play for awhile but awhile would turn into a few hours or more. Some people might say that gaming in moderation is ok and yes some people might be able to do that but for me, that's not even an option, it's either I game full time or I don't game at all. I struggled to find a happy medium.

So moving forward, what are my plans?

Well first of all I'm working towards completing the 90 day detox and along the way as I said earlier, I want to get in shape. From there I will continue my game free life and set other goals that I will work towards reaching.

"Leave the Pixel World and Enter the Real World."

2 people like this

Posted

Well where do I start....I relapsed and have started playing games again. First it was internet games yesterday and today it was console games. I wish that I could break free from this habit.

Gaming has for many years been a coping mechanism in dealing with stress but it's time for this to change. I've been under a lot of stress lately and rather than try to fight the urge to game as an escape, I started to make excuses to go back to gaming and now here I am.

But rather than beat myself up, I'm going to pick myself up and keep on trying. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Later today will be 1 day since I quit gaming, I really need to figure it out this time. As I've said in a previous post, gaming for me was a way to escape stress or to temporarily forget whatever I was dealing with. I really need to try and find other activities that I can use as a coping mechanism so I can handle stress better.

I know that this is not going to be easy and it'll take a lot of effort on my part but I know that I can do it. I've been trying since January to beat this and with minimal success, but rather than focus on what's already been done, I will leave the past in the past and move forward. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

What really helped me after my third relapse, was figuring out how many days I didn't game in total and not only look at the last streak. 1 day might sound discouraging, but I bet you have quite a lot already together since starting in January!

Edited by Mhyrion
1 person likes this

Posted

Today is day 7 of my game free life and so far it has been going well and I've had very few times that I've thought about gaming. Even though I'm not gaming, I still struggle with being productive and I often find myself doing things just to avoid gaming. One area I still struggle with is spending hours watching videos on Youtube, and yes I'm not gaming but I'm not being productive either, I'm only wasting time that I could spend doing other things are worthwhile. I'm going to work towards being more productive and waste less time.

Things I want to accomplish:

-Be more active(started)

-Do more reading(started)

-Waste less time(WIP)

This journey is not going to be easy and there are going to be bumps in the road but I know that it's possible. Even if I should fall, I will pick myself back up and keep moving forward. Even though I've failed in the past, I'm not going to let it weigh me down...Whats done is done and all I can do now is forget the past and move forward.

1 person likes this

Posted

Today is day 9 in my game free life, I've been struggling with other personal matters outside of gaming which has made things quite difficult. There are times that I'm not sure if I can keep going and I sometimes wonder where I should really be focusing my attention, either to quitting gaming or dealing with the personal issues. I really need to think about what's better for me at the moment. 

Posted

I've gave it some thought and have decided that right now there are some personal things I  have to attend to, so I will be focusing my attention on these. For this reason I will be leaving the forum and I'm unsure as to when I will be back.

To all those who've tried to help me since I joined, I say thank you and to Cam, thanks for your support as well.

Also to Cam, for right now, please delete my account and whenever I return, I will make a fresh start.

I wish everyone at the Gamequitters forum all the best. 

Posted

I've been lurking for awhile now and I've been seeing how well you're all doing. Glad that you're all doing well.

It has been awhile since I've been here and things have been going pretty good for me. I did for awhile go back to playing games. Gaming was almost like a security blanket, something I could go to if I was stressed, but of what benefit is gaming, things didn't change and all gaming was is a temporary escape. 

Today is day 2 of my game free life. I need to face things head on and stop using the things going on in my life as an excuse to play games. I need to find other worthwhile activities and do those instead. 

No matter how many times I fall, I'm going to keep picking myself back up and keep fighting.

Posted

Welcome back...I've been in and out too...started a couple years ago. I think I'm on my 4th and 5th try but I know this is my final try.