NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Third Time's the Charm

Damn I almost typo'd that to "Third Tim's the Charm" and now I think that'd be a great memoir title for anyone named Tim. Especially a Tim III.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever introduced myself officially on this site, and seeing as I think I should come back, now's as good a time as ever.

I was in the middle of installing a really big game I used to play today, when I realized two things: first, it's going to run like shit on this computer; and second, I'm giving up all the time I got back from school being out to play games again?

So I uninstalled all my games, uninstalled Steam, and unplugged my keyboard to go clean it. That last part was just something I've been meaning to do. It's drying now while I use the wireless keyboard (which is super uncomfortable to type on, why did I choose to do this now?)

I'm a writer. Not a published one, but I've learned to accept the term. Fake it 'til you make it, right? I'm 27, in college to become a high school English teacher, and a lifeguard. I have two dogs and a girlfriend of three years. I can have a temper, but I've learned to channel and control it and especially to recognize it so I know when I need to more carefully consider my words.

I run a blog, but "run" is an unfair term since I've barely touched it in the past couple years. I write a post occasionally and sometimes those posts are good. Ever since I wrote a post about how the Internet has changed me, I've been beating myself up for not following through with any solid efforts at making a change.

I've been here a while, and those who remember me will remember that I'm often long-winded. It has since occurred to me that this is probably a stupid thing to do because I should be focusing my writing on my novels and not on a blog entry. Journals are extremely easy to write. Just write about your day or something that's been on your mind and voila, done. Working on a novel (especially getting started on the third draft like I am) takes a bit more psychic energy. Journaling is kind of a shadow activity sometimes. It makes you think you've done well with your writing because you at least wrote something. But it's just a white lie we writers tell ourselves.

I'm doing it again, aren't I? I should impose a 500 word limit on my actual journal...

I'll cut to the chase. I want to do a 90 day detox. I thought it over and realized that despite all the games I still enjoy, I can take three months off. And starting now is perfect because two games I'm interested come out in March or so... However, whether I get them when day 90 hits or wait until the end of the semester is going to depend on how school is going. Also, one of them depends on my building my new computer. Old motherboard fried and took the CPU with it.

But I don't want to be a taskmaster to myself. I don't want to punish myself for not writing, and likewise I don't want to reward myself for a good day of writing. Writing is its own reward, especially since I've tapped into what made it so much fun before. I used to make a daily checklist to get things done and it worked, but there was something a bit lifeless and robotic about the work. What I've found works even better is taking all my vices and locking them in a drawer. Not... literally, but by making it so my vices aren't even options, I'm forced to be creative about how to go about occupying myself. When I can't play games or watch gaming channels, I end up reading, or organizing the house, or even writing.

I do have a list of reminders on a whiteboard by my desk, though. To me, they serve as a reminder for what my office is for.

I have one simple goal which GQ does not directly affect but can facilitate. I want to get my novel published in 2017. There are three main components to this:

1. Get novel to publishable level.
  2. Make blog more active.
  3. Set up a mailing list.

That's my goal. For more, check out my journal.

Edited by gankylosaurus