Being 90 days game-free has changed my life

3 posts in this topic

Posted

*insert obligatory picture of Frodo saying "it's over, it's finally over*

At least, that's how I thought I'd feel when I finished the 90-day detox. I expected to come out of these 3 months with a craving for video games, hurriedly rushing to jump back into Skyrim or Overwatch with my friends. That's how I felt a couple of weeks ago, at roughly day 70, when my cravings were so strong I had to force myself to not even turn my computer on. 

But now, after 90 days, I couldn't imagine how different it would turn out to be.

Once upon a time I would have laughed at the League of Legends memes my friends sent me, or some 'insane' CS:GO highlight reel. Yet, when my cousin sent me an Overwatch image the other day, the emotion that I felt most wasn't one of happiness or glee. It was bordering on disgust. I stared at the image and yet, I felt nothing. No desire to play, no urge to return to the game, no laughter at something that once would have filled me with joy. 

And I honestly couldn't be happier.

These last three months have been tough. I dropped out of university, left my job, had little money, started two businesses and cut friends out of my life. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've learned so much in the last 3 months, I've met so many incredible people by opening myself up to new opportunities, by becoming a "YES" man instead of an "eh I might be able to" man. 

I've got goals and visions, hopes and dreams. Some big, some small. I've got motivation, power and energy like I'd never have imagined. 

And I owe it all to Cam and the Gamequitters forum. Without you guys, I wouldn't have made it through the 90 days. I wouldn't have had the toughness to break through the barriers, of which there were a lot, and come out a stronger being on the other side. 

I really do owe you guys so much, and I'm looking forward to the future role that I can play in this community. 

I'll be carrying on my (non-daily) journal over here, keeping you updated on my businesses, public speaking, coaching, photography, spirituality, language learning, health and fitness, and just general day to day life. So if any of that interests you go ahead and follow, the more people I can get to know on here the better! :) 

Finally, I want to give special thanks to Cam. Like many people here you've had a huge impact on our lives. You gave me hope when I struggled to see any. Gave me a light when I was truly at my darkest. I'd even go as far to say that you saved my life. Don't you (Adair) stop what you're doing, there are so many people in this world that need this. That need you. You've done a kick-ass job so far, and I can only imagine what the future holds for Gamequitters. I can't support you financially at the moment, but one day I swear to God I'll make it up to you, somehow. Thank you.

I'll finish this post here, slightly more emotional than I had intended it to be, but I felt like it had to be said. Thanks for reading, and peace out!

8 people like this

Posted

Congratulations!

2 people like this

Posted

giphy.thumb.gif.07113933caad88590fad2859

2 people like this