Looking for a coach? Apply here to work with Cam 1 on 1.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How 5 Areas of My Life Have Improved 100+ Days After Quitting VIdeo Games

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I decided to quit playing mobile games on June 14th, 2016 and then decided to quit video games all together. At first I decided it was just 90 days but after I completed my 90 days I no longer had the desire to play games. Quitting games was a spur of the moment decision that I made after reading Cam's eye opening article. I then realized all the things I missed out on as a result of gaming and just staying in my comfort zone. So I stopped playing all together. I didn't reduce it little by little and then eventually stop. I will be covering 5 areas of my life where I improved since I quit gaming.

ONE
Adventure - At the time I was creating video game let's play's on YouTube and a friend reminded me about the stuff that I was passionate about such as a short film I made in High School so I refined it a little bit and uploaded it. When I went to Cypress Hills I took my camera and recorded the experience to remember it. When I was there it opened up perspective of all the places you can go and explore that are real and not a video game. Also gave me a little bit of the traveler's mindset. I have a bike and there are still places in my city that I probably haven't biked to yet. I discovered that I love exploring new places, even if it is going on a different bike path, travel destination, somewhere I don't usually go anything really.

TWO
GO FOR IT - About this time last year I did a school presentation about keyboards and how the typical qwerty keyboard is inefficient and how Dvorak is much much better! I have been using my phone in the Dvorak layout since that presentation and I am now using it when typing this now too! I made the switch about 2-3 months ago and I am about back up to 40-50 words per minute! At first I got doubts from friends and family in my life saying that I am already really good at qwerty and I should not be going to Dvorak. Now I am using Dvorak exclusively, and it goes to show me that I can do anything I want to do (given that I put in time and effort) despite what others around me say!

THREE
Priorities - This is what I was like, not exactly but had the mindset of that. But I am also getting way more rest now that I quit gaming!! Last year when I was in college I kept falling asleep in classes and it was a big issue and I was made fun of in class for it. I didn't take it well considering I already had a lack of sleep. I also did not have enough time to finish the final project last year because my prorities were gaming and I left the project to the last minute. I have improved a ton compared to last year! I have more time towards my studies and I am making it my number one focus! Along with sleep ;)  People around me in general have told me that I seem more mature and grown up now. Only thing I have to work on is waking up early and deadlines. Also, I can finally do stuff I'd like to such as going through old documents that were piling up, making my walk in closet a walk in closet again (you could barely open the door a while back) also selling things I don't use. 

FOUR
Soical - I wrote a little article about this topic here. Essentially I have found myself being more outgoing and likely to start conversations with new people around me.

FIVE
Organization - I feel more organized in general and more in control of my life than ever before! I'm growing day by day the only thing that matter is that I get something done that is productive. I am also doing more writing than ever before. I started a journal of my own that I write in very often

Some things I would like to mention, I recently quit my current job to focus on school and last weekend I sold all my DS games along with a couple of PS4 games! I just need to sell the PS4, I have it all ready to go for it to be picked up :D

Say hey in a reply!

-Dylan

Edited by Dylan Tazzioli
I missed a hyperlink
4 people like this

Posted

Last year when I was in college I kept falling asleep in classes and it was a big issue and I was made fun of in class for it. I didn't take it well considering I already had a lack of sleep. I also did not have enough time to finish the final project last year because my prorities were gaming and I left the project to the last minute. I have improved a ton compared to last year! I have more time towards my studies and I am making it my number one focus!

Love this part! Great post, thanks for sharing man.

1 person likes this