Will you join me in building a well in Tanzania? Learn More

To facebook or not to facebook?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I do not particularly enjoy Facebook to be honest, however it has become a tool of collaboration with regard to university, networking (internships, job hunting) as well as to stay in contact with some former friends of mine. 80% of the posts one sees is either narcissism at its finest or pointless. I recently read about a study in a newspaper which claimed that constant exposure to the "highlight reel" of others as well inevitably comparing yourself to others can fuel depression and anxiety.

Personally, I limit its use as I prefer the old-school face to face conversation or mail/Skype to stay in contact with close friends. Keep it simple, keep it real^^

1 person likes this

Posted

Facebook is designed to keep your attention. It can be a useful tool. But your feed is bound to distract you by design. Somewhere Noah Kagan (old facebook employee if I remember correctly) suggested this: The news feed eradicator: http://news-feed-eradicator.west.io/

This helps me keep my social media use in check - I only use it to contact (mostly international) friends, and get distracted a whole lot less by it.

Posted

After my first week without games, I started limiting Facebook use to weekends only. Reducing this compulsive screen time is helping my cravings subside somewhat. I'm on day 21 of the 90 day detox. Another I just started doing is only journaling on the forum every other day. I'm going to try to space out my entries more in the future.