NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hey everyone.

seriousjay

My name is Jay and I've been playing video games ever since I was 5 or 6 years old (I am 28 now). It was an off and on kind of addiction for me but during the most hardcore days (grade 7 or 8 to about 3 or 4 years ago) I had been spending the vast majority of my waking hours playing video games. As a result, many areas of my life suffered.

Due to not having a hell of a lot of accountability within my social circle, I didn't work very hard during school and I am suffering the consequences of that to this very day, as I never learned to appreciate the value of working hard. I don't know what I want to do with my life, I don't even know what I'm passionate about, and not only is getting started to figure that stuff out a huge challenge, it's also very scary. I also suffer a good deal of social anxiety as well. A good deal of that is because I found it very hard to make friends and was bullied all throughout elementary and high school. At this point I'm not even really sure what to do to go about creating meaningful relationships with other people.

Lastly, and probably worst of all, playing video games just absolutely destroys the rest of my life. I have long term goals and when I'm not playing video games I can make progress towards them, but whenever I start to play they become the sole focus of my life. My nutrition falls apart (oh so easy to order delivery online now, and it doesn't help that I am addicted to that as well..), my sleep schedule goes to shit, and in general I just become a miserable wreck.

This is probably my 4th or 5th attempt to quit video games. I can generally do it for a few weeks at a time but I inevitably go back to it. I long suspected the reason for that which the Respawn guide confirmed (not replacing playing video games with activities that fulfill those needs), but I also completely lack anyone in my life that I trust enough with these things and that would help me. I think having a support network can go a long way to achieving success in not only quitting video games, but life in general. :)

Anyways, I'm not really sure what I can bring to the table here, but it is very comforting to know that not only am I not alone, but there are awesome sites like this to help people that are going through it. :)

Hey Jay! Great to have you join us here and I appreciate you purchasing Respawn - your support helps a lot!

The community here has your back. All of the challenges you've mentioned are normal and common when you begin down this journey, and although it can be scary, it can also be exciting. You have a lot of new things you can focus on, and at least in my experience, learning how to create more meaningful relationships was a big part of my purpose after I quit - and it seems like it is for you too. :)

We've got your back.

Hi Jay. Welcome :)

You already brought something to the table: your honesty and your will to change. They are worth gold!

Read, post, get involved. You'll find yourself at home here. We've got your back.

Edited by Tom

Thanks for the support guys!

I cannot state enough how important it is to have a support group when trying to make difficult changes in life. It makes it exponentially easier when you have people to inspire you and keep you accountable.

Really glad I found this site. :)