NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Greetings!

Octsober

Hello Everyone,

Name's Chris - I'm 27 and have been playing games ever since I could figure out a Sega Genesis controller. I'm here because I think at this point after cycling though my steam queue a bunch of times, getting caught up on PSN just looking for something new to play, I need to get away from games (again). This wouldn't be the first time I've 'stopped' playing games. I quit a year or two ago for a couple of months cold(ish) turkey on a challenge from a family member that I simply couldn't stop playing. I was driven to prove I could indeed stop, so I did. I stopped playing games that I found inciting. Although during the hiatus of Hardcore play, I'd play games that made no difference to me for an hour tops then go on to something non-game related. At this time I had no real interest in focusing on games only. I was 120% more social, read at least four books a month, was writing more and more on my blog. and ultimately more focused in living than hiding. I refer to this as point as The Top of the Mountain. Eventually I questioned why I ultimately stopped playing and eventually ended back where I am now.

This is not to say I've gotten better with the time I've spent playing. Sometimes I'll go on a gaming binge for an entirety of a day 7 - 8 hours more or less. Most of the games I play today have a tendency to be single player, which I feel has a limited timeline and eventual end. I analyse it like reading a book, but without the satisfaction of growth and awe I used to get while absorbing a story say for example as a kid playing Final Fantasy 8 or Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

I'm a creative and I have many projects I wish to complete. Ironically one of these projects is a physical competitive card game I currently own a business for, as well as, many, many, stories I've developed, started, and placed on pause. I graduated community college last year with a degree in Liberal Arts with a focus in literature. Originally I went to college for game design but I had discovered quite quickly that I don't get along with math.

Real Talk - I'm aware of my time playing video games and it really bugs me. I recently left my job at an office as an administrator for a waiting gig I had a few years ago so I'm a relatively social person. I like to believe I'm in a bit of a rut as I'm currently, once again, redesigning the system of game I've been working on for the last seven months. I have two contracted artists, the theme is set, and pretty much everything else lined up but excluding the most important part: the game itself. I've been feeling completely lost as I've already invested a fair sum into my company. Putting myself in front of my PC and saying "Welp -Nine hours of Xcom it is!" isn't helping.

Thankfully I actually enjoy deigning my game (when I have a current build to work with), so I can honestly say it's not part of the issue. It's the things I've been distracting myself with or the things I'm trying to find to play to fill the void. I've played my share of MOBA's / FPS's to know the feeling of pulling your weight in a team environment, perhaps some of you may understand this perfectionist mentality.

I'm 27 I still live at home with my folks and it bugs me every day. I don't like to speak highly of myself - the world owes me nothing, but I honestly feel I have something great to share with the world. I want to get out there, grow, and LIVE.

Thanks for reading

Hey Octsober

Welcome to the forums! I see some points in your text that could belong to my life. The thing is: If I needed to stop playing because for example a bet or something bad happened in real life I was totally able to. But after 2-6 weeks I always began to whonder "Why am I not playing games anymore? It's so much fun... I want to play again I am not addicted anymore!" and BAM there I was again in the cycle of playing games every day.

Wish you all the best for your company! I am sure that if you stop playing games you will have motivation to work on your company because you will be glad for a time-filler :)

Hey Chris. Welcome :)

I'm convinced that gaming can sap your creativity. I struggle to understand why: you get in touch with a lot of ideas, great concepts, beautiful artworks... And yet you, on a personal level, become less inventive and, well, plain lazier. That's my experience at least.

Good luck!

Hey guys!

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply!

Cordharel - After a while, I totally agree it becomes a question of "why am I doing this to myself?". I think we can both agree (as mostly everyone else here as well) that is ultimately a vicious cycle. Thank you for your support for my company! I'm convinced with the correct focus I'll be able to accomplish my goals in the foreseeable future.

Tom - I never really thought about it that way. I generally get inspired while playing however, I can totally agree that games can be distracting enough to pull you away from your very core creativity. Less inventive is also an important keyword I've found interesting that you've mentioned. I catch myself trying to keep my very current project digestible but, yet maintain a relative level of complexity. It's a tricky process, especially while being mindful of budgets!

Cam - Thanks for personally reaching out. You're doing a great thing for people that want to get away games for all the right reasons. A lot of your points really speak to some of my core values (travel, getting back into shape, etc). I've also noticed that there's a meetup group in the NY/NJ area that I'll be totally joining up for!

Thanks again guys for your support and I hope to be able to lend a hand here as well!