Will you join me in building a well in Tanzania? Learn More (5 days left!)

My Journal - Alex

880 posts in this topic

Posted

You're welcome Alex! Can't wait to see your next entry!

Btw. I started interesting journey right now - 39 days until finishing the last exam. So, each day I have an opportunity to go into different coffee shop or place to study. We'll see how many of them I'll discover in my city! :)

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

1 person likes this

Posted

The past week has whizzed by and I can't believe it is almost June. I have been working hard during the week, but my work ethic took a dip during the weekend. All I have to learn is that I need a plan to make the most of study time during the weekends, and to cut out all distractions even if it means leaving the house. This week will be another busy week, but I think I'll be more prepared as I am currently removing the non-essentials from my life to focus on my coursework. Let's see how this goes!

1 person likes this

Posted

The past week has whizzed by and I can't believe it is almost June. I have been working hard during the week, but my work ethic took a dip during the weekend. All I have to learn is that I need a plan to make the most of study time during the weekends, and to cut out all distractions even if it means leaving the house. This week will be another busy week, but I think I'll be more prepared as I am currently removing the non-essentials from my life to focus on my coursework. Let's see how this goes!

Good luck man I think you're on the right track just keep it going!

1 person likes this

Posted

This week has been another super busy one, but probably one of the busiest! Cutting out the non-essentials has been working well for me, however I have still been locked into many commitments this week in my workplace and for my business group. I studied hard for a maths test on Thursday, and I'm confident that I did really well during that test. On Saturday I went to the Kickstart Final, which is the pitching competition that my business enterprise group and I have been building up towards. Our hard work has paid off, because we came first place and won $500 to put towards our business! I'm not sure if we'll still go ahead with making the business or if we'll just take it as a great learning experience, but I'm very happy with the result and the skills I've learned along the way. Studying in the weekend was not up to par, so it seems I'll need to revert back to going to the university to study, as I'm always tempted to spend much more time than I should on breaks whilst at home.

Here's a photo of my kickstart team! Also here's one with the judges.

18891805_1578778882154291_7132628543155874623_o.jpg

18922806_1578782368820609_6805151773905131072_o.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Today has been a relatively good one. I got up at the usual time, went to the gym in the morning, and went to my lectures. My studying wasn't too productive today, but I made burritos for the family this evening. There was still heaps left over, so it was a good use of time and I finally used up the last of my personal groceries that were going to go off soon. Tomorrow I'm going to run to the gym to slash my travel time, and stay at uni until about 7pm to get the maximum amount of studying done. I have finished my non-fiction book I've been reading, so I'll be getting back into self-development books. Tomorrow I'll make sure to make the most of my time, lets see how this goes!

Posted

It has been over a week since I last posted, wow! I've been studying hardcore since then, as my end of semester exams start in half a week now.

Today has been an average day of studying. I managed to do approximately 10 hours of studying today which is the best I've done, however the quality of the work done hasn't been the best. I've been doing huge chunks of work and become quite unproductive towards the end of it. Tomorrow I'll make sure to just do 1 hour sessions, which involve packing up and moving to another building to work between sessions, as this activity has kept me more alert and able to focus when I do. I'll need to work tomorrow evening so I'll likely skip my workout. I've had some gaming cravings recently because I'm so bored a lot of the time, but I think it is just something that comes along with studying so many hours with few and small breaks.

I'm looking forward to doing a skiing trip in a couple weeks time, it should be great fun!

As soon as my exams are over I think I want to start a few things like cooking fancy meals, but also getting back into programming and photography.

I'm grateful for there being so many computers around university.

I'm grateful for the amazing lunches I've been able to make myself recently.

I'm grateful for the time I have to study.

1 person likes this

Posted

Great job Alex! 10 hours of studying, and recognizing that each hour changing location can be a way to effectively study. Hmmmm, never thought of this. Interesting! I typically get bored, try with my sheer mental strength to push through, and find myself exhausted after an hour or so! This is a new concept and I will give it a try in the near future! Should keep studying interesting! I'm assumbing since you'd change locations every hour, there's some planning that takes place as to where you'd go every hour and you'd also pack light? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Great job Alex! 10 hours of studying, and recognizing that each hour changing location can be a way to effectively study. Hmmmm, never thought of this. Interesting! I typically get bored, try with my sheer mental strength to push through, and find myself exhausted after an hour or so! This is a new concept and I will give it a try in the near future! Should keep studying interesting! I'm assumbing since you'd change locations every hour, there's some planning that takes place as to where you'd go every hour and you'd also pack light? 

Thanks for the comment! Yeah I figured that this keeps it similar to going to high school, as I'd move around to get to a different class. At the end of a class students typically feel bored or tired, but when they have a walk, then sit down in a new environment and around different people, we are refreshed enough to do work on a new subject. On that note, changing the topic studied often can help too.

I thought I should plan it out, but there are about four buildings in my university I can go to to always get a space so it didn't really require planning. I did two hour sessions today whilst changing location between each one, but I should definitely do the single hours and moving tomorrow.

If you give it a go (although I believe school/university is finishing for the year in the US?) please let me know!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Alex,

I am currently taking summer class, but my Fall 2017 semester will start soon and I will need a strategy to be successful at keeping my focus and studying for some time. I typically go to Starbucks and sit there for hours and sometimes, my mind tends to drift away xD. I know for Fall 2017, this is a method I will definitely try to implement as I will be on campus alot more! :) 

Thanks for the prompt reply :) - I will let you know about my experience!

1 person likes this

Posted

Update:

My exams are over, and I'm free! I've been getting the chore-like things done recently like giving my room a proper cleanout, doing shopping, cooking for the family etc but it has been an engaging weekend so far. I am currently needing to set long term goals and make visualisations accordingly, as it is something that I have struggled with recently. I'll try keep posted daily, but otherwise things are going well.

2 people like this