NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Captain's Log - JSmith

JSmith

Having boundaries and knowing what kind of space you need is important. For instance with my roommate, when she first gets home she needs space to ground herself, so if I come out and start talking to her right away, she gets frazzled. So instead I give her space for a bit and then we chat. You can flip through the book Crucial Conversations if you want to learn more about how to have those tougher conversations. But know your boundaries and it's ok to have them.

Having boundaries and knowing what kind of space you need is important. For instance with my roommate, when she first gets home she needs space to ground herself, so if I come out and start talking to her right away, she gets frazzled. So instead I give her space for a bit and then we chat. You can flip through the book Crucial Conversations if you want to learn more about how to have those tougher conversations. But know your boundaries and it's ok to have them.

Thank you. So far it's been pretty manageable, but it's good to know that others deal with similar circumastances as well. Will have to add that book to my list haha.

Can't wait to see your own designed spacecraft :)

EVERYTHING I do is for that ultimate goal >:D

Captain's Log - JSmith | 8.29.2016 | Day 58

Your captain's master plan has failed. I return to you all in shame.

I overestimated the amount I could get done on a day with four hours of classes and karate training. By the time I had Dynamics at 3:30 I had only accomplished my 750 words, solidworks practice (I did this and the journal in the morning, before I had my first class), and four pomodoros of studying. The only break I took was lunch. I thought long and hard about why it was I got so little done, and it really comes down to just how my day is structured. When you are doing so much in one day, the smaller things start to have more of an impact. Things like having to stop by your dorm to switch out materials after classes, or walking from lunch to classes or the library, or having to leave early to prepare your training clothes, or how about needing to EAT before karate class. Yeah that's kind of important. I need food after lunch too...

I soon realized my current plan was not very feasible, and immediately began to brainstorm and think about how I could further optimize things so it would be possible to repeat the same exact tasks, every single day, regardless of class structure. I would rather build consistency and do less, than try to pack in more on certain days and risk failure.

So, in the spirit of not giving up, I present to you the first iteration of my master plan.

SPACE CAPTAIN'S ULTIMATE MASTER PLAN FOR SUCCESS - VERSION 2

Removing the academic part so I can condense it with my other goals and eliminate repetition. Class work will still be first priority.

- Studying, 4 pomodoros

- 750 words, no longer than 1 pomodoro

- Solidworks, 1 pomodoro

- Personal Development reading, 1 pomodoro (Think and Grow Rich)

- Aerospace related reading, 1 pomodoro (A Brief History of Time - I'm almost done with this, considering studying orbital mechanics or rocket propulsion next, or maybe I'll try   to decipher Harold White's Warp Field Mechanics 101 XD)

- Novel Work, 1 pomodoro

- One To-Do list task completed per day (tacking this on at the end, list is kinda long right now, duration will vary, will probably take this out of eating time, or breaks)

MOST IMPORTANT TASK: Studying, 4 pomodoros

Nine pomodoros total, or 3 hours. If you discount the 750 words (I do it first thing in the morning and it usually takes less than 20 mins.) half the time is studying. My brain is cringing at a "mere" 80 minutes, but it's going to be focused studying. Focused as in I don't hit the start button until I'm in my seat, work out in front of me, ready to begin immediately. Plus with the work I did today I'm definitely setup to be ahead of the curve still. Now I just have to keep going. This will be doable on my busiest days, which makes me actually pretty glad my first day ever was one of them. Tomorrow will be a good demonstration of seeing what I can really get done with this amount.

As much as I hate change, I must be prepared to make more iterations as necessary. Another crucial point of The Slight Edge philosophy.

Other than that, classes were fantastic! I'm looking forward to Physics tomorrow, as well as diving deeper into studying. Tomorrow I'll be mostly memorizing Hiragana. Japanese class was fun!

Gonna cut it here, need to get my things organized before bed. More solidworks spoils tomorrow, I promise.

Things I'm grateful for:

1. Solid first day of classes, despite the minor setback.

2. Seeing more old friends from karate, as well as a fresh class of newbies. That was me a year ago haha. Will be interesting to see who sticks with it.

3. Japanese! Finally digging into the language. Now I just need some samurai armor, and a katana...

Arigatoo! 

Captain's Log - JSmith | 8.30.2016 | Day 59

Holy crap, tomorrow is Day 60. Didn't I just do my Day 45 review????

Anyways, today was a very good day. My master plan worked to perfection, and despite even being slow to get the ball rolling after my first class (very slow, ran into a slight issue), I had all 7/7 goals completed before 4:30pm. In 80 minutes of studying I manged to complete an entire online physics lecture and review exercise, figure out a conceptual issue I had with yesterday's Dynamics lecture, and memorize more than half of all Japanese Hiragana symbols. Pretty solid work.

I am SUPER pumped for this year's AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) Design Competitions. Last year I enrolled as a student member in the organization, and in our university chapter, participating in the Team Space Design competition. Basically we designed an entire mission to take a small satellite to a nearby asteroid; I was in charge of propulsion selection. We didn't win, but I learned a shit ton about rockets and space flight, and had a lot of fun as well. I probably would have mentioned this way earlier actually if it wasn't for starting in the summer haha. This year's competitions are even better. One of them involves taking NASA's new SLS rocket and basically designing your own space mission to a destination beyond Earth/Lunar orbit, from scratch. Crewed or Uncrewed.

How awesome is that! The rush of excitement I felt reading the RFP document...I haven't felt like that since I played a video game. Finally, eh? I can still feel it a little right now.

Can we just start TOMORROW please???

I also went back to the lab after dinner to do some extra solidworks practice, wanting to get more done. This advanced design tutorial is actually pretty...well...advanced.

hinge_issue_with_entities.thumb.JPG.0e09

In this part I had to use a previous sketch (the gray vertical lines) as a guide for drawing cuts on a different sketch along the top edge of the hinge. But somewhere along the two sketches something was going wrong with the lines, either they were overlapping or not connecting all the way. Solidworks would throw a hissy fit every time I tried to make the cuts. Eventually I threw a hissy fit because I was literally just following the tutorial's instructions...

hinge_custom_solution.thumb.JPG.b10dc8a4

So I said screw it, and redrew the lines on my own, in a way I thought made more sense. It worked!

hinge_assembly.thumb.JPG.8cdb6b0180379da

You can see on the left hand features tree I made two versions of the part: one w/ two inside square cuts and the other w/ three outside cuts. Fantastic. Not even close to being done yet though haha.

Looking forward to classes and karate tomorrow. Hopefully my master plan works under the increased lecture hours. We'll see.

Things I'm grateful for:

1. My brain, for actually doing something in solidworks on it's own for once.

2. Awesome design competitions this year! I was worried, but AIAA definitely stepped it up from last year. Well, given my tastes at least.

3. Free school supplies??? I think somebody messed up at the cash register when I made my initial spree. I asked them today why the charge isn't yet on my account, and there's nothing they can do lol. Fine by me.

This is everything new for today. The copied master plan below is just for my reference. Goodnight!

- Studying, 4 pomodoros

- Solidworks, 1 pomodoro

- Aerospace related reading, 1 pomodoro (A Brief History of Time) 

- Novel Work, 1 pomodoro

- One To-Do list task completed per day (tacking this on at the end, list is kinda long right now, duration will vary, will probably take this out of eating time, or breaks)

Day 60? Didn't you just join the forum? LOL.

By the end of this week it will be September 4th btw. My head just exploded. RIP.

I joined 29 days after I started the detox, remember? xD

What's special about September 4th?

Also I unfortunately don't have any time to write tonight...chose to work on some really important business instead (I've been so busy today). Will have to make it up to you all tomorrow. Sorry!

Captain's Log - JSmith | 9.1.2016 | Day 61

Happy September folks!

Today was a decent day. Had just my one class in the morning (no lab until the 12th) and then got right to work getting all my tasks done. All tomatoes completed around 2:30-ish. Decided to reward myself with a movie I haven't seen in a long time, Reign of Fire. Oh, the nostalgia.

Couple emotional blips later on in the day. I went to eat after the movie and found all three of my closest friends sitting together. None of them had asked if I wanted to join them, which I found off-putting since they usually send me a text for stuff like that. I hope it's not because of all the times I declined earlier. I've been working a lot and there are conflicts; still I told them when I would be free...but I just joined them at the time and we had a good time, so I guess it's not that big a deal. Then I got another staff email from my old roleplaying site, which especially bothered me because I had been getting a couple in the last week or two and usually I ignore them, thinking it wouldn't be that frequent. And then I get this one. Definitely triggered some more nostalgia actually logging back into the site just to clear the email notifications, I'll even admit I skimmed through a list of post titles from people looking for partners. But I shook it off, and got the fuck out of there. I know where that road leads.

Just spent the last hour or so trying to shorten my growing list of To-Do tasks, making some decent progress. Should feel less stressed about it now, and the 1 task a day goal will take care of the rest. Some of the deadlines were just getting a little close, so I had to take care of them now.

So I have another karate exam on Wednesday. Which is the same day as our club demonstration. Which is right after the campus involvement fair. Oh the nerves. If I rank up 1 kyu then I can get brown belt in December. I went to every practice for all of August, but I may need to train a little extra these next few classes.

So day 60 was yesterday...my how things progress. Now that the semester is officially here things have changed a lot from four days ago, when I was still working. But I have kept all my goals the same, only added a few, and it has really paid off. My sleep schedule is solid, I wake up alert and eager to get shit done, I actually get shit done, and I'm feeling in pretty decent shape. Both physically and mentally. Now my objective for the next 15 (14...) days is to just keep it going. I don't care what the hell else happens during the day, but as long as I follow the master plan goals, I have confidence I'll be on track for great success. Of course things haven't been perfect, but I've noticed the habits are starting to do more of the work now. I've also noticed I actually feel something when I go about my day, a little bit of excitement or anticipation here and there (or maybe that's just day 59 haha), which is a big step over two months ago. Don't recall feeling any gaming urges lately...then again Solidworks IS the real Minecraft.

Can't think of anything else to add, so I guess that wraps it up for now. Have a wonderful night everyone.

Things I'm grateful for:

1. Seeing another friend after many months.

2. Payday today! One more work check in two weeks. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Strong start to Japanese. Pace seems very manageable, and it's been a lot of fun.

- Studying, 4 pomodoros

- Solidworks, 1 pomodoro

- Aerospace related reading, 1 pomodoro (A Brief History of Time - should be done with this thing any day now...oh crap, I need to figure out my next book) 

- Novel Work, 1 pomodoro

- One To-Do list task completed per day

Captain's Log - JSmith | 9.2.2016 | Day 62

Another good day. I'm kind of drawing a blank right now. Was just browsing through some of the other journals while waiting for my roommate's gaming friends to clear out of the room. Still awkward. 

Uhmm, I'm a little concerned I may not be studying enough. I have physics homework due towards the start of next week, with a bunch of other assignments following. It's freaking ridiculous. I spent 3 out of 4 pomodoros on it today and solved 0 problems. And the damn physics help center doesn't open until AFTER it's due. For now I'll stick to it, but if Labor Day comes around and I'm still not finished, welp, I'll have to pull overtime, and make modifications. I also may need to spend more time on dynamics, the professor isn't very good...

At least I finished A Brief History of Time today. Thank the cosmos! I've had enough about M-Theory for now, I just want to dig in to this year's AIAA competitions. So from now on I'll dedicate that pomodoro to related research and planning (it's still aerospace). Master plan version 3!

equations_n_stuff.thumb.JPG.058165f6e448

Interesting Solidworks lesson today. Using equations to relate and modify various part dimensions. Just another absolutely batshit feature of the program. I am definitely building a spaceship with this thing one day. Oh shoot, I forgot about the lightsaber too. That one I may be able to do sooner haha.

I could probably write an entire page about the recent SpaceX Falcon 9 explosion, but it's late, and I need to get to bed. Maybe another time.

Things I'm grateful for:

1. Having friends to set me up for transportation to this year's Fall Karate Camp

2. Some good laughs from a friend this morning. Made my day.

3. Movies, for being awesome.

SPACE CAPTAIN'S ULTIMATE MASTER PLAN FOR SUCCESS - VERSION 3

- Studying, 4 pomodoros

- Solidworks, 1 pomodoro

- Team Space Transportation Design, 1 pomodoro (I don't even know if our group will select this one, but they better...) 

- Novel Work, 1 pomodoro

- One To-Do list task completed per day

Uhmm, I'm a little concerned I may not be studying enough. I have physics homework due towards the start of next week, with a bunch of other assignments following. It's freaking ridiculous. I spent 3 out of 4 pomodoros on it today and solved 0 problems. And the damn physics help center doesn't open until AFTER it's due. For now I'll stick to it, but if Labor Day comes around and I'm still not finished, welp, I'll have to pull overtime, and make modifications. I also may need to spend more time on dynamics, the professor isn't very good...

Oh, this brings me back so many memories!

Oh, this brings me back so many memories!

From the college days? xD

What made you want to step away from engineering? If you don't mind me asking.

No, I don't mind at all. The simple answer for that question is because I feel I've had enough of it. There also the fact that I'm outdated that helped me step away. You know technology, if you blink, you might miss something.

The long answer, I have to tell you why I choose engineering first. In Brazil, you couldn't live a comfortable life unless you had either university degree on something the market wanted or you were a civil servant. At least that what I was taught by my parents, both civil servants. Back in the 90's, there were only three profitable professions: Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers/Architects. Anything other than that meant financial struggle. On my second year of highschool, I thought about becoming a psychologist, perhaps because I had many people coming to me and asking for advice. But then I was convinced by my aunt that I should pick one of those 3 afore mentioned. I always had top grades in mathematics, and I liked computers so I choose engineering.

Engineering was super cool, but I never had true passion for it. I once thought about changing my major to physics, because that's what I loved, but then again, I was afraid of ending up not making enough money to raise a family. So I kept on, graduated eventually and started working as a product engineer in the electricity metering business.

My work was somewhat challenging, not in terms of engineering, because after my graduation, everything seemed to be easy. The challenge was to work in an organization environment and to cope with not so good rules. Yet I was kind of successful on what I did, but I got a bit tired of working with computers and machines. Then I decided to live with near my girlfriend here in Japan and now we are married and I'm her dependant. Oh, it hurts saying that (the dependant part). Anyway, the pinnacle of an engineering career for me would be me having a say in the AI industry and contribute to its development. And when I picture myself in that position, I don't see me happy. Successful, yes, but not happy. So, I don't see a point in continuing on this path, and I'm sick of working for money. I don't regret anything, well, maybe some things, and I thought it was time to close this chapter and start another one.

Anyway, sorry for cluttering your beautifully written journal. I hope I could answer your question. I see you are very passionate about space engineering, I hope I didn't make you have second thoughts!

No, I don't mind at all. The simple answer for that question is because I feel I've had enough of it. There also the fact that I'm outdated that helped me step away. You know technology, if you blink, you might miss something.

The long answer, I have to tell you why I choose engineering first. In Brazil, you couldn't live a comfortable life unless you had either university degree on something the market wanted or you were a civil servant. At least that what I was taught by my parents, both civil servants. Back in the 90's, there were only three profitable professions: Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers/Architects. Anything other than that meant financial struggle. On my second year of highschool, I thought about becoming a psychologist, perhaps because I had many people coming to me and asking for advice. But then I was convinced by my aunt that I should pick one of those 3 afore mentioned. I always had top grades in mathematics, and I liked computers so I choose engineering.

Engineering was super cool, but I never had true passion for it. I once thought about changing my major to physics, because that's what I loved, but then again, I was afraid of ending up not making enough money to raise a family. So I kept on, graduated eventually and started working as a product engineer in the electricity metering business.

My work was somewhat challenging, not in terms of engineering, because after my graduation, everything seemed to be easy. The challenge was to work in an organization environment and to cope with not so good rules. Yet I was kind of successful on what I did, but I got a bit tired of working with computers and machines. Then I decided to live with near my girlfriend here in Japan and now we are married and I'm her dependant. Oh, it hurts saying that (the dependant part). Anyway, the pinnacle of an engineering career for me would be me having a say in the AI industry and contribute to its development. And when I picture myself in that position, I don't see me happy. Successful, yes, but not happy. So, I don't see a point in continuing on this path, and I'm sick of working for money. I don't regret anything, well, maybe some things, and I thought it was time to close this chapter and start another one.

Anyway, sorry for cluttering your beautifully written journal. I hope I could answer your question. I see you are very passionate about space engineering, I hope I didn't make you have second thoughts!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I've had plenty of second thoughts about engineering on my own (remember my first post?), mostly because I wasn't doing very well in school and I could never seem to hold the short bursts of motivation I got from watching space launches on youtube haha. "Nowadays" I'm more worried about if my dreams related to space travel are really possible. We have done some pretty amazing things in space, yet I want so much more. Am I being too unrealistic? Both Jeff Olson and Napoleon Hill advise that you attatch timelines to your dreams, but I have no freaking idea of the kind of time that would be necessary for them to come true. There's too many variables. My greatest fear is spending several more years down this path and realizing it was all hopeless to begin with. Then what would I do?

Captain's Log - JSmith | 9.4.2016 | Day 64

Sorry for not getting a post out last night, was legit slacking. I don't think I treat my journal here as rigidly as I do my other daily tasks, because it's not actually a task. I should probably add it, but it's moot at this point.

Day started off pretty good, then turned meh. Got hit with a wave of loneliness right before karate. It happens sometimes...I don't even remember what triggered it. But it doesn't help to focus on the thing that is upsetting you, I should have found something to work on or just diverted my attention immediately or something.

Or perhaps it's trying to tell me something. As I walked to the gym I kept hammering myself with questions and doubts. Why am I even doing karate? Would I still want to do it if I had a girlfriend? Would I still want to do ANYTHING I'm doing if I had a girlfriend? I keep bringing myself back to questions like these. Like sometimes I just don't give a damn about other things in comparison. The main reason I joined karate is because it was a fun form of physical exercise, but there's more to it. It makes me feel powerful, strong, and I like winning in competitions. I like the idea of being able to impress people with skill and tenacity, and I like the idea of ranking up. But none of these things really matter. Sensei has said it many times over. So why dedicate 8 hours a week to this? I can just go to the gym and ride a bike for 20 minutes three times a day, there's my exercise. The cardio is what's most important for a person like me. 

I feel WEAK for even sharing these types of feelings, or HAVING them for that matter. I don't know why. I have always desired power, ever since I was a child. But I have also desired companionship. Would I care about such things if I just had someone? About a week or two ago one of the female students on campus finally returned to train with us after the whole summer off. I had a crush on her a couple semesters ago, and yet when I saw her again, suddenly I had this internal impulse. Train harder, show her how much you've improved, she'll be watching. And I did. LOL. Certainly wouldn't have done that if I was just training alone, which has happened before.

And yet the situation is paradoxical, because despite how much I want a relationship, I have very little time during the week to actually commit to one as much as I would want, and I don't take ANY action to go out and actually talk to girls, because I believe it's just hopeless. Maybe I don't actually want a girlfriend, not here anyways.I'm just a mess in this department. 

BUT HEY AT LEAST I HAVE SOME NEAT SOLIDWORKS STUFF TO SHOW YOU ALL

3d_sketch.thumb.JPG.c04069159f02eab62652

IM TAKING A TUTORIAL ON 3D SKETCHING, MAKING AN OVEN RACK. LIKE THE ONES IN ACTUAL OVENS.

rack_elements.thumb.JPG.23390951a4bc9b55

SEE THE RESEMBLANCE YET? I'M PUTTING IN ALL THE GRID COLUMNS TOMORROW.

Anyways I literally just wasted like 20 minutes getting lost in past events, so now I really have to go. Have a good night.

Three things I'm thankful for:

1. Getting my new gym bag before karate class

2. Getting some oreo creme pie during lunch. They were actually saving it for dinner, but I saw the dude cutting the pieces and just asked for one. Great guy.

3. Labor day tomorrow, so no classes. I'll need the extra time to finish my physics homework.

No more pasting the master plan, I know what I need to do...

Captain's Log - JSmith | 9.5.2016 | Day 65

Today was productive, though that seems to be more the standard nowadays. Something amazing happened this morning. Remember how I was worried about possibly having to spend more time getting my physics hw done? I didn't have to. I finished both assignments in the 4 pomodoros I had for the day. It was crazy. I was so lost on the problem sets the other days, but it all seemed to click today. The biggest lesson I learned was that I just need to be more organized in my work, and pay more attention to the questions. Once the equations diagrams and numbers start flying across the page it's really easy for me to lose track of important details.

Cam this is for you:

final_oven_rack.thumb.JPG.532ad1adb677d3

Completed the 3D tutorial on the oven rack, then decided to spruce it up with a render. I took a guess for what might be the most realistic material, and went with polished aluminum. If anyone knows what oven racks are actually made of, please let me know haha. In some spare research I've been doing from time to time, I came to the realization that some engineers out there actually spend all day just designing stuff in Solidworks. I read a forum post from one guy who said he had been doing CAD for 25 years. How insane is that? I wonder if this is something I would want to do full time. I don't know.

Karate was...karate. I'm so nervous about this test coming up on Wednesday. I was practicing my kata in class and sensei was pointing out so many things I was doing wrong, things I simply can't fix in two days. But it's no use getting worked up. I've been to every class since August 1st, all I can do is my best. Of course there is always more I could do. I could show up earlier and stretch more. I could stay later and practice more. But karate isn't the only focus I have. I'm confident I'll keep improving gradually, as long as I just show up and try.

1. Day off from karate before the test. Much needed.

2. New music. Always a good thing.

3. Getting my physics hw done.

Stainless Steel, Low Carbon Steel, Aluminum Steel. Aluminum Steel? I didn't even know those two were mixed. So I was half right. Does solidworks even mix metals? Will need to find out.

Edited by JSmith

Both Jeff Olson and Napoleon Hill advise that you attatch timelines to your dreams, but I have no freaking idea of the kind of time that would be necessary for them to come true. There's too many variables. My greatest fear is spending several more years down this path and realizing it was all hopeless to begin with. Then what would I do?

I won't dare to give you advice on that, but my experience says two things: 1 - Timelines put the right pressure on you so you can deliver results. 2 - I haven't seen a project start right and stay unchanged until its end.

If anything, you could be the new Jules Verne of space fiction. :D

Both Jeff Olson and Napoleon Hill advise that you attatch timelines to your dreams, but I have no freaking idea of the kind of time that would be necessary for them to come true. There's too many variables. My greatest fear is spending several more years down this path and realizing it was all hopeless to begin with. Then what would I do?

I won't dare to give you advice on that, but my experience says two things: 1 - Timelines put the right pressure on you so you can deliver results. 2 - I haven't seen a project start right and stay unchanged until its end.

If anything, you could be the new Jules Verne of space fiction. :D

Oh no haha. I don't think I could live with only dabbling in fiction. In fact the only reason I'm even trying to write a book is because my brain is forcing me to. This plot has infected me for years, like a virus. I have to get it out or be forever tormented.

Thinking more like the Daniel H. Wilson of space fiction ;)

Edited by JSmith

Captain's Log - JSmith | 9.6.2016 | Day 66

Had a sluggish start to the day. Woke up on time, went to class, then got hit with a wave of drowsiness as I was doing my daily online journal around 9am. I think it was because of my writing topic.

Then I blinked and suddenly it was 2:00pm. I kid you not. It felt like I had just jumped forwards 3-4 hours. What did I do? I did some homework, met with my academic advisor, had lunch...was I a zombie the whole time? I honestly feel like this was when my day actually started. Got all my daily tasks done, then had dinner with my friends, which I hadn't done in a while. I'm glad to have had this day off from karate, especially after the last two days. The Sunday + Monday push is exhausting. Still nervous about this test tomorrow, but it's whatever. As long as I stay relaxed and breathe, I should do fine. Hung out at a gameroom with one of my friends afterwards, where we continued our foosball rivalry. When I first arrived to college I was the absolute best out of everyone I knew. But this guy...I play with him again and again, for hours. And now he's kicking my ass. Unbelievable.

Sorry for such a short post, but I can't think of anything else to say right now. Tomorrow's gonna be a busy day, maybe I should hit the sack early.

1. A chill evening.

2. The library help center is open now. I'll be doing my physics hw there from now on. Might as well bring a tent.

3. My day now aligns with the date. Makes remembering much easier xD 

Hi JSmith! Can I ask you a question?

I was reading about the morning pages, or the 750 words exercise you do every morning. Have you ever done it longhand? I want to add this to my mornings, but I wonder if writing long hand makes that much of difference. I'm trying it tomorrow, anyway!