NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Not so caught in the undertow anymore - journal

UndRt0w

Days without gaming: 5

Craving: 2/10 (beginning of the day around 6, then it dropped to 0 quickly because I was doing fun stuff)

Social: 5/10

The day started as a lonely day (which is absolutely fine for me, I don't really care too much). Then a friend wanted to play some guitar together so we did.. and when I came home my grandparents were visiting so I call it a 5/10 .. for a sunday it would be an 8 or something since I normally don't do anything on sundays.

Goal progression (15 days till deadline)

Guitar: 4 / 22 (+2.5)

Programming: 1.5/5 (+0.5)

Exercise 1/10 (+0 procrastined on it, knew I was doing it, didn't really care about tackling it anyway. It was a deliberate choice I guess)

Producing: 0/10 (didn't start this yet, but played a lot of guitar so that's fine as well since guitar is my main goal)

Daily Habits

☑ Reading (will do this before bedtime)

☑ Meditation (will do this later, already ticking it off because I know I will do it.. the plan is doing it in the morning, but at the moment I'm too tired, I would fall asleep)

✘ Waking up at 07:45 am --> 8am (getting there! Tomorrow I'll have to work so I will get it for sure)

Hope I won't get blisters on my finger tips from all the guitar playing. Practiced bends and bended vibrato's .. made really good progress on getting them accurate and fluent!

One thing I didn't like about the day is that I may have made a wrong choice... I wanted to see the legendary buddy guy live today. But my friend cancelled friday.. I could have gone alone but -because of the high price of the festival he was playing at and because I would have to go alone and leave before the last band finished (because of work) I decided not to go.

It's not really a mistake because it's a really rational choice.. on the other hand Buddy Guy is almost 80 years old .. there's a good chance I'll never see him (a)live now .. so I have some mixed feelings about that I guess. If you compare music entree's this one is definitely high, especially if you only want to see just 1 of the artists so.. I won't blame myself but still have mixed feelings. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Days without gaming: 6

Craving: 0/10 (yesterday evening was difficult, didn't even think about games today untill now .. since I kinda have to filling this in)

Was social at work, no real opportunities no real efforts

Goal progression (15 days till deadline)

Guitar: 5.5 / 22 (+1.5)

Programming: 1.5/5 (+0)

Exercise 1/10 (+0 procrastined on it, knew I was doing it, didn't really care about tackling it anyway. It was a deliberate choice I guess)

Producing: 0/10 (didn't start this yet, but played a lot of guitar so that's fine as well since guitar is my main goal)

Daily Habits

☑ Meditation (will do this later)

Waking up at 07:45 am 

Not that much time after work. Helped my mother with some papers she had to fill in so .. after that started to play the guitar and it's 8pm now. Don't feel like doing much more today. I'll probably do a longer reading session I feel like I could use a resting activity right now or maybe watch a guitar documentary.

Grateful monday

1. The weather right now <3 

2. It was really calm at work, many people are having their yearly vacation .. I love it!!!

3. Didn't get a lot of sleep, but I still felt pretty fine!

4. My new found motivation for guitar !!!!!!!!!!

5. Realising untill now I didn't have any problems leaving games aside. The internet is harder though

6. I'm taking a lot of walks in my break times, they feel amazing

7. ^I also feel really confident, smiling to people just feeling happy

8. Getting good calluses on my fingers which I need for guitar

9. Got a lot of work done without a lot of effort

10. I just felt pretty happy today, what's better than that .. what could one be more grateful for?

Days without gaming: 7

Craving: 1/10 (almost gamed out of habit, didn't hurt me when I realised I couldn't

Social: 7/10

Was social at the hairdressers

Goal progression (12 days till deadline)

Guitar: 7 / 22 (+1.5)

Exercise 1/10 (+0 hot outside + headache)

Producing: 0/10 (+0)

Daily Habits

☑ Meditation (will do this later)

Waking up at 07:45 am 

It was a good day! Took half a day off work to get some stuff done. Gonna relax this evening, probably watch a music documentary and I'll probably go to bed early.

Glad you had a good day! 

Thanks Cam!

Days without gaming: 8

Craving: 4/10 It was easy not to game but I missed it on several occassions today. I really really miss Twitch>

Why watching Twitch is not ok:

- It's something easy to watch when I don't knw what to do

- I watch it while eating, in th morning, right before bed,... I just watch it too much

- It makes me week, my willpower completely dissapears,, I can't control myself

- It messed up my sleep schedule

Social: 6/10

Stopped working early, went into the city a bit for a walk. Didn't talk to people but I enjoyed it. It only lasted 30 minutes but it was a nice change.

Goal progression (11 days till deadline)

Guitar: 8,5 / 22 (+1.5)

Exercise 2/10 (+1 hot outside, still got a workout in!)

Daily Habits

☑ Reading: 4-day streak

☑ Meditation: 4-day streak

Waking up at 07:45 am: 2-day streak

Days without gaming: 9

Craving: 6/10 I was a bit bored today so I really wanted to game at different points at the day. Still didn't actually considered gaming though, twitch was once again harder.

No real social contact but me and a friend will do something next friday, so since I planned that today it counts as being social enough to get the 5 

Goal progression (11 days till deadline)

Guitar: 11 / 22 (+2.5) (was probably more around 3-4 hours)

Programming: 1.7/5 (+0.2) I really didn't enjoy it. I think that I would rather learn this at a school or just not learn it at all.

Exercise 2/10 (+0 )

Daily Habits

☑ Reading: 5-day streak

☑ Meditation: 5-day streak

Waking up at 07:45 am2-day streak

Didn't up the streak for waking up. I didn't get sleep untill around 5 am .. I can't stand the heat. I still woke up around 8:45 which is still really early. So I'm not breaking the chain but I'm also not adding a day to the streak.

Truthfull thursday

I have a lot of 'embarrasing' things to admit. Let's start with a very recent one. I'm renovating a house and I was actually thinking about spending a bit less money on my house and spending it on a good gaming pc for around 2K ... Also on 2 occasions I decided not to take a vacation and I bought a mechinical keyboard, gaming mouse and 144hz monitor instead.

Priorities???

I'm curious at what your long term ambitions and goals are. 

Success in life comes one day at a time and one step at a time. Keep it up man! 

Hey LilChenChen, nice to see you here!

You're actually asking me a question I was thinking about some days ago.. well actually I always ask myself this question but I don't always know the answer. And for the moment I don't really know. I'll take life areas and describe ideal situations.

Career

My longterm goal would be a fullfilling job. Having certain responsabilities but not a ton of negative stress with them. Ideally it's a job where the result depends mostly on myself. I want to be appreciated for my work. And I want to work following my own vision. I'm a high achiever. If I work for something I want to achieve the best.

My (probably) ideal situation would be being an entrepreneur who's pretty succesfull. Actually having freedom (a lot of passive income and automation) and not having to worry about future income too much. The service I would deliver would be top-notch, which alows me not to have to work all the time

Social

Having several good friends I can have fun with. Meeting new people regularly. Being someone who feels comfortable, not too self aware and being an easy talker. A pleasant person that's trustworthy

Health/Physical

Being fit and flexible and healthy. Being pretty strong, having good stamina.

Spiritual

I'm not religious. I just believe in living a life worth living. I'm more of a philosophical kind of person. I'm constantly thinking about the meaning of life and how I should spend my limited time (I'm deliberatly not saying my life 'here' because I don't believe in an afterlife, when it's over it's over).

So spirtually I would be happy, at peace, calm in various situations, a good person, being the best person possible but also being me. 

Family

I probably want a girlfriend and a kid (max 2). Have a good contact with family members. Basically my best friends would also be like family. I would be a reliable person who would be able to help in a variety of situations for these people.

Financial

Comfortable. I little bit like I'm at the moment (because I'm not living alone yet). Being able to buy fun stuff, but not be a crazy shopaholic kind of person. Having a lot of money would definitely help but is not a goal in itself. I'd rather have a lot of free time and a happy life than a lot of stress and tons of money and fame.

Personal (fun & growth)

Seeing a lot of places, having adventure. Spending fun times with the right people. Alw ays keep working on myself, learning about stuff and improving in things I like. I would want a learning-mindset even on the day I'd die. I never want to stop learning

What does this mean for long term goals

Well it's hard because all of these are really fuzzy. So I'll make a top 3 of goals

Atm I'm learning the guitar because it's fun, growth and it might become a career/financial thing. It's also something to express myself with, music can be very spiritual to me and it could have some nice social effects as well. It's basically a lot of things I'm looking for right now. So a longterm goal here would be, being a guitar tutor, composing my own music, doing some gigs maybe but not being famous (that would make me a slave I guess). Being able to entertain people, bring a smile on their face and earning a good amount of money by doing it.

My current job is good enough. I like it but I also know I will not keep doing this for the rest of my life. It's too stressfull and it depends on too many other people above and below me. Even if I do my job really good it could cause me tons of stress and difficulties.. that's not something I like. I'm also coaching a lot of people that have a 'good enough' mindset, that really really bothers me. I probably don't want to climb the ladder. I think I'd rather build my own wall.

Being more social. Going out more, but not too much because I actually like being at home. I want to get to know more people, build more friendships, get some sort of relationship (could also be a LAT-relationship). Being a helping hand for my friends, a calm person, someone who can listen and really trustworthy.

Days without gaming: 10

Craving: 3/10 Lately I really feel like playing survival games ... but I don't and again it's not even close to me actually considering playing so no worries there. Twitch still gives me the itch though ... Especially when I see youtube videos with highlights or scandals. Sometimes I watch a small video and even though it's not really violating the rules I still feel a little guilty. 

Went to work, was social there. Said goodmorning and hi to people I didn't know on the street. Went out in my breaktime with male coworkers to get a sub sandwich.
A friend asked me to go to the city. I said no .. maybe later but I already knew I wasn't going. Asking me this at 9.30 pm is not really my style. I like to know at least a couple hours in advance. Still had to play the guitar and do stuff.

Goal progression (9 days till deadline)

Guitar: 11.5 / 22 (+0.5) Didn't play that much today. I did watch some videos and stuff. Probably going to do some theory later. (Not counting the videos btw, only me playing)

Programming: 1.7/5 (+0) I don't really care about it anymore. I'm probably quitting on this one.

Exercise 2/10 (+0 ) Failing this goal as well. Will get a workout in tomorrow and the day after. I may get to 7-8 maybe but not 10. Got some motivation today though. Couldn't fit in one of my pants lol ..

Producing: 0/5 (+0) This is not really a priority, it's all about the guitar. I made this a goal to protect myself from gaming but I'm actually doing great without most of these goals.

Daily Habits

☑ Reading: 6-day streak

☑ Meditation: 6-day streak

Waking up at 07:45 am3-day streak

I cleaned my room today for more than an hour! I eliminated tons of clutter and stuff that was stressing me out. I'm pretty happy with that! I was actually really unproductive today now I think about it .. came home an hour early, watch cycling, then cleaned my room, ate and watched a good portion of guitar videos, played some guitar and that was it .. so it's not that much but it beats coming home and only game and watch twitch for the remainder of the day.

Not every day has to be super productive at this stage.

I'm curious at what your long term ambitions and goals are. 

Success in life comes one day at a time and one step at a time. Keep it up man! 

Hey LilChenChen, nice to see you here!

You're actually asking me a question I was thinking about some days ago.. well actually I always ask myself this question but I don't always know the answer. And for the moment I don't really know. I'll take life areas and describe ideal situations.

Career

My longterm goal would be a fullfilling job. Having certain responsabilities but not a ton of negative stress with them. Ideally it's a job where the result depends mostly on myself. I want to be appreciated for my work. And I want to work following my own vision. I'm a high achiever. If I work for something I want to achieve the best.

My (probably) ideal situation would be being an entrepreneur who's pretty succesfull. Actually having freedom (a lot of passive income and automation) and not having to worry about future income too much. The service I would deliver would be top-notch, which alows me not to have to work all the time

Social

Having several good friends I can have fun with. Meeting new people regularly. Being someone who feels comfortable, not too self aware and being an easy talker. A pleasant person that's trustworthy

Health/Physical

Being fit and flexible and healthy. Being pretty strong, having good stamina.

Spiritual

I'm not religious. I just believe in living a life worth living. I'm more of a philosophical kind of person. I'm constantly thinking about the meaning of life and how I should spend my limited time (I'm deliberatly not saying my life 'here' because I don't believe in an afterlife, when it's over it's over).

So spirtually I would be happy, at peace, calm in various situations, a good person, being the best person possible but also being me. 

Family

I probably want a girlfriend and a kid (max 2). Have a good contact with family members. Basically my best friends would also be like family. I would be a reliable person who would be able to help in a variety of situations for these people.

Financial

Comfortable. I little bit like I'm at the moment (because I'm not living alone yet). Being able to buy fun stuff, but not be a crazy shopaholic kind of person. Having a lot of money would definitely help but is not a goal in itself. I'd rather have a lot of free time and a happy life than a lot of stress and tons of money and fame.

Personal (fun & growth)

Seeing a lot of places, having adventure. Spending fun times with the right people. Alw ays keep working on myself, learning about stuff and improving in things I like. I would want a learning-mindset even on the day I'd die. I never want to stop learning

What does this mean for long term goals

Well it's hard because all of these are really fuzzy. So I'll make a top 3 of goals

Atm I'm learning the guitar because it's fun, growth and it might become a career/financial thing. It's also something to express myself with, music can be very spiritual to me and it could have some nice social effects as well. It's basically a lot of things I'm looking for right now. So a longterm goal here would be, being a guitar tutor, composing my own music, doing some gigs maybe but not being famous (that would make me a slave I guess). Being able to entertain people, bring a smile on their face and earning a good amount of money by doing it.

My current job is good enough. I like it but I also know I will not keep doing this for the rest of my life. It's too stressfull and it depends on too many other people above and below me. Even if I do my job really good it could cause me tons of stress and difficulties.. that's not something I like. I'm also coaching a lot of people that have a 'good enough' mindset, that really really bothers me. I probably don't want to climb the ladder. I think I'd rather build my own wall.

Being more social. Going out more, but not too much because I actually like being at home. I want to get to know more people, build more friendships, get some sort of relationship (could also be a LAT-relationship). Being a helping hand for my friends, a calm person, someone who can listen and really trustworthy.

Your current goals and ambitions are very noble. 

Avoiding gaming and twitch will definitely help your degree of success in achieving them. 

Good luck! 

Days without gaming: 11

Craving: 6/10 Iwas bored for a small part of the day (pretty early in the day). I wanted to play some games, didn't actually consider playing though, but I did have some thoughts it would be nice to game today. This is probably the worst cravings I had so far. It's probably due to not having planned that much anymore. Other days I would just keep playing the guitar and even though I played around 1-1.5 hours it wasn't enough to fill the dead parts in the day.

Social: 8/10 Went out with some friends to eat. Sat a lot downstairs. I was pretty social.

Goal progression (8 days till deadline)

Guitar: 13 / 22 (+1.5) Didn't play that much today. I did watch some videos and stuff. Probably going to do some theory later. (Not counting the videos btw, only me playing)

Programming: 1.7/5 (+0) I don't really care about it anymore. I'm probably quitting on this one.

Exercise 3/10 (+1)

Producing: 0/5 (+0) This is not really a priority, it's all about the guitar. I made this a goal to protect myself from gaming but I'm actually doing great without most of these goals.

Daily Habits

☑ Reading: 7-day streak

☑ Meditation: 8-day streak (headspace told me this, I thought it was only 7 days)

Waking up at 07:45 am4-day streak

I feel like I need some more activities in the weekends... It's probably a good exerciser for tomorrow since I don't have anything planned?

Brainstorm idea's

Step 1: What do I want to keep or increase

- Guitar (increase)

- Meditation (keep)

- Sleep schedule (keep, maybe make it earlier)

- Reading (make it a bit longer)

- Journaling here

- Working out

- Series/movies (keep but not increase)

Step 2: What didn't I do and what do I still want to do

- DIY Home projects (occasionally)

- Composing own music (starting when the guitar gets a little more boring or when I want to start making/ recording songs)

- Walking/Cycling (in the weekends)

Step 3: What idea's am I ditching?

- Programming (well actually maybe I just don't like the way codeacademy teaches things .. so may be I should start a video course or a real life course)

Step 4: What are other skills/activities that look interesting?

- Cooking (I can do it a bit but maybe it's a good idea to do it now and then)

- Learn about positive psycholgy (major YES for me .?. definitely going to do this)

- Learn about philosophy

- Watch a TED talk

Step 5: The new plan + CHALLENGES!!!

I need a new plan to avoid being bored so here it goes...
First of all .. I LOVE challenges :-) (duh I'm a gamer or at least I used to be). 

Start 25 july --- Deadline: 31 august

Main Challenge : Guitar

• GUITAR: Get 50 hours of effective practice !
  • REWARD: Buy a Fender Stratocaster American Standard (I was planning to do this anyway, but making a challenge out of it is better!)

Challenge 2: Do productive stuff n things n such

• READ: Finish 48 Laws of power
  • Exercise: 0/16
  • REWARD: None

Challenge 3: Explore new things and areas

• Cooking 0/5 --> Reward: The food I cooked .. let's hope it's a reward and not punishment
  • Cycling: 0/100 km
  • Enroll in the online positive psychology course and follow the planned lessons
  • Go to the blues bar at least once
  • Go to the david Gilmour concert
  • Go to the coffee shop at least once
  • Go to the forest at least once
  • Get to know 1 new person, doesn't necessarily have to become a friend
Edited by UndRt0w

Days without gaming: 12

Craving: 3/10 Got cravings early in the day, got over rather quickly

Social: 3/10 Stayed at home the whole day. Didn't lock myself up in my room for the whole day so it's something

NEW GOALS

• GUITAR: 0/50
  • REWARD: Buy a Fender Stratocaster American Standard (I was planning to do this anyway, but making a challenge out of it is better!)

• READ: 12/100 (kindle works in %)
  • Exercise: 0/16

• Cooking 0/5
  • Enroll in the online positive psychology course and follow the planned lessons
  • Go to the David Gilmour concert

CHAINS

☑ Reading: 8-day streak

☑ Meditation: 9-day streak (headspace told me this, I thought it was only 7 days)

Waking up at 07:45 am5-day streak

Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us. 9 day streak with meditation is a big accomplishment! 

Thanks! I think the highest I got was ealier this year. I don't remember how high. I think it was close to 50 .. definitely more than 30

Hey I can really identify myself in your goals. It's nice to see you sticking to your commitements. One thing I realized that my cravings for games pretty muhc came and went with me watching game related youtube videos. If this triggers you I would recommend you to clear your youtube history and evade these videos in the future. 

I don't know if you still searching for better programming sources but I liked the free ebook automatetheboringstuffwithpython which gives you a definit outlook and later on little programms you can use in your everyday life. To make good use of it you should work on a computer regulary though. But I think with python as  a relative easy language this isn't a bad place to start. You could check it out if you liked.

Being social is always a good thing in my book. Hasn't to be clubbing. Calling/meeting and talking to your family or friends is worth it everytime. The main point here is to be proactive and arrange things. Most people like it if you think of them and invite them to do smth.

Edited by WorkInProgress

Hey I can really identify myself in your goals. It's nice to see you sticking to your commitements. One thing I realized that my cravings for games pretty muhc came and went with me watching game related youtube videos. If this triggers you I would recommend you to clear your youtube history and evade these videos in the future. 

I don't know if you still searching for better programming sources but I liked the free ebook automatetheboringstuffwithpython which gives you a definit outlook and later on little programms you can use in your everyday life. To make good use of it you should work on a computer regulary though. But I think with python as  a relative easy language this isn't a bad place to start. You could check it out if you liked.

Being social is always a good thing in my book. Hasn't to be clubbing. Calling/meeting and talking to your family or friends is worth it everytime. The main point here is to be proactive and arrange things. Most people like it if you think of them and invite them to do smth.

True! I don't watch gaming videos on youtube anymore as well, would make the cravings worse. Sometimes I do watch a 'twitch scandall' if one happened. But only a part of the video just to know what happened. In the end even that isn't that great because it makes me miss Twitch.

I like the link, that probably what I needed. In a way I liked thinking as in programming, but the exercises were soooo boring and I couldn't see the bigger picture .. this link actually gives me some idea's what I can do with the stuff I'm learning.

Agree on the social stuff as well btw! I don't like clubbing, but just making friends, maintaining friendships are definitely worth the time.

Days without gaming: 13

Craving: 0/10 Gaming? What ? ooooh .. no didn't really think about it today.

Social: 7/1

NEW GOALS

• GUITAR: 3/50 (+3 hours !! on a working day, letsgoooo. My wrist is starting to hurt a bit though so I need to be careful)

• READ: 16/100 (kindle works in %) --> Always read before bed so I'll have to update this tomorrow
  • Exercise: 1/16 (+1, felt really tired, still did it)

• Cooking 0/5
  • Enroll in the online positive psychology course and follow the planned lessons (enrolled, didn't watch any lessons yet since it start in a week)

CHAINS

☑ Reading: 9-day streak

☑ Meditation: 10-day streak (headspace told me this, I thought it was only 7 days)

Waking up at 07:45 am: 6-day streak

!!!!Story time!!!

So I woke up at 7:40 and I was really tired still. Ate a bit, drank some coffee and practised guitar. When I was finished playing the guitar I had still a small hour left before I had to go to work .. so I figured, even though I really wasn't feeling like it, the most easy and productive decision would be to work out..

I started working out, was kinda proud I made the decision to do it even though I didn't really want to ... and then I pulled away my towel and catapulted my smartphone again my power rack ... AAAAND MY SCREEN CRACKED. It's a good thing I'm doing meditation again and I didn't let it get to me. Also the crack isn't that bad (yet) .. first time I cracked my smartphone .. FeelsBadMan

Grateful mondays

• Even though I really didn't want to go to work today I'm grateful for my steady income and having a pretty nice job
  • Grateful for the meditation starting to pay off
  • For my huge motivation to play the guitar
  • For being able to learn stuff pretty fast
  • I feel good about myself, I'm grateful for that as well
  • I came up with some fun challenges, grateful for my sense of creativity in that matter
  • Even though I'm not rich I can buy a lot of nice stuff! Grateful!
  • Grateful for the fun coworkers
  • Grateful for the nice weather and especially the nice clothes girls wear when it's warm :-D
  • Grateful that I realise a good mood often is a choice and it makes life easier and random contacts more fun.

Days without gaming: 14 (2 weeks yaaaay)

Craving: 1/10 Talked a bit about pokemon go with my collegues

Social: 7/10 Well I had meeting the whole freakin day so

NEW GOALS

• GUITAR: 4.5/50 (+1.5)

• READ: 17/100 (+1%; didn't really feel like reading, was also really tired)
  • Exercise: 1/16 (+0, didn't plan it either so it's all good)

• Cooking 0/5
  • Enroll in the online positive psychology course and follow the planned lessons (enrolled, didn't watch any lessons yet since it start in a week)
Edited by UndRt0w

Days without gaming: 15

Craving: 3/10 Got some cravings in the morning. Failblog had an article about my favorite streamer getting swatted. Since it was something so serious I had to see it .. there wasn't much to see but I felt pretty bad for him. Then I reminded myself I don't actually know him irl so I got over it

Social: 8/10 I talked a bunch with coworkers .. a bit too much actually lol

NEW GOALS

• GUITAR: 7/50 (+2.5)

• READ: 18/100 (+1%; didn't really feel like reading, was also really tired)
  • Exercise: 1/16 (+0, didn't plan it either so it's all good)

• Cooking 0/5

CHAINS

☑ Reading: 10-day streak

☑ Meditation: 11-day streak (headspace told me this, I thought it was only 7 days)

Waking up at 07:45 am: 7-day streak

Edited by UndRt0w