NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Just Do it Journal!-Going from Mediocre to Mighty

KO

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My online game addiction is just a symptom of my need of constant stimulation. 

Hang in there. You will feel less of a pull towards this over time. Mindfulness is the key. 

Had a mindset shift today, I remembered why I quit in the first place. It felt like a 2nd job with no compensation. "Forget this it's not even fun anymore"

@KO Ha, ha, ha I never worked so hard at a job.  I am sure I would have objected to any job that made me work that hard! Ha, ha, ha ha, wow really busted my ass today!  No pee breaks, 72 hours straight of total grind to finally make ten levels!  That should make a difference to the real world! Ha, ha, ha.  Lots of money in that! 

@KO Ha, ha, ha I never worked so hard at a job.  I am sure I would have objected to any job that made me work that hard! Ha, ha, ha ha, wow really busted my ass today!  No pee breaks, 72 hours straight of total grind to finally make ten levels!  That should make a difference to the real world! Ha, ha, ha.  Lots of money in that! 

Hey, all my epic gear will land me the corner office one day!

12/30/2016

Stats:

Spirit: D

Body: C

Mind: C

Charisma: E

Discipline: E

Developmental Potential: A 

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Rice.Eggs. Beef

Meal 2: Peanut Soup

Workout Summary:

Calisthenics

Did as many reps as I could do consecutively 

Push-ups

Squats

Sit-Ups

Vacuums  

General Activity Log:

Deleted leftover game files and blocked my top 10 time wasters.Started a challenge.

Approached three people and said "hey"
The first  person gave an awkward fake smile and nodded
The second  person responded with "hi" and a  genuine  smile 
Thrid person ignored it and avoided eye-contact.

Read some excerpts from Meditations and did some coding in Python. 

Knowledge Gained:

Cold Turkey is the best way to go.Moderation to "done with it" doesn't work for me. 

Plan for Tomorrow:

Continue to build better habits to forget to game altogether. 

Hang in there. You will feel less of a pull towards this over time. Mindfulness is the key. 

Had a mindset shift today, I remembered why I quit in the first place. It felt like a 2nd job with no compensation. "Forget this it's not even fun anymore"

Anytime your cravings come on, remind yourself of this.

12/31/2016

Spent the whole day fighting myself. Uninstalling and re-installing games, but didn't play any. I couldn't even enjoy the party because of the withdrawal. 

Anytime your cravings come on, remind yourself of this.

It saved me from a  "one last game before the new year" slip up. 

1/1/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary

Meal 1: Rice, Eggs, Beef, and a Banana.

Meal 2: Okra soup

Workout Summary:

N/A

General Activity Log:

I recalled something I read from a blog post

“Most people would rather win an imaginary game on a computer screen rather than win the real game of reality”

This really hit home because this how I spent the majority of my break so far. I had nothing real to win at.

I thought about some activities to replace gaming never got around to doing them because I thought about them too much.

Knowledge Gained:

The three second rule is great at countering mental masturbation. Start in a couple of seconds or I do nothing.

Plan for Tomorrow:

Create a simple morning routine. Then expand to a daily schedule. To level up spirit 

Apply the three second rule at least once. To level up discipline 

Finally read that book I've putting off. To level up mind

Continue with the challenge to level up charisma, (Greet 3 people a day for 5 days a week)

Get ready for January classes and avoid playing 2K with my roommate. Going to count how times he says “come on”/ times he encourages to me play.

1/2/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Okra Soup and Bananas.  

Meal 2: Meat Pies. Milk. 

Workout Summary:

Dynamic stretching (Spiderman’s, inchworms and gate openers, Frankenstein’s)

Quick 20 reps of Sit-Ups, Pushups, and Squats.

General Activity Log:

Used to the three second to get out of bed. 3…2...1…ROLL! around 9:00am

Started off the day journaling in my notebook.

2-minute timed meditation and 2-minute opened meditation. Slowly building up patience/attention

Quick cold shower.

Read Copywriting 101 in about 2hours.

Listen to podcasts for an hour and 45 minutes

Python for an hour

Back on campus.

Avoided playing 2K17 with Roommate. Our other friend was in the room with us so he played with him instead. 

Greeted three people today. Conversations lasted a bit longer than the initial greeting phase+walk away.

Knowledge Gained:

I still have the mindset of “killing time” instead of “how do spend my time in the most effective way”

I notice my patience/attention drop significantly after relapses. I’m struggling with staying in the present and being mindful.

Plan for Tomorrow

Do the stuff I planned to do yesterday.(Crossed out stuff)

Go to class, read the syllabus finish the work assigned for that day. 

Edited by KO

1/3/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary

Meal 1: Spaghetti and Meatballs. Sliced Carrots. Cup of Water. Breadstick. Green tea.

Meal 2: 3x Burgers. A plate of Broccoli. Chicken on Gyro Bread. 2 Cups of Water. 

EXTRA SALTY SODIUM OVERDRIVE! Aiming to reduce my meat intake and slowly change my diet to more plant-based.

Workout Summary:

Current Program: Texas Method

Warm-up: Dynamic Stretching and Jump Rope

Felt weak today, trying to get my body to readjust to lifting. First time back in the gym after the break and fasted.

5x5 Squat 285lb. The first set felt the hardest. It got easier as I progressed to sets 2-4. then I struggled to finish the last set.

5x5 Bench 190lb. No changes until the last set. The last rep was a real grinder.

5x1 Deadlift 340lb. Used a doubled hooked grip instead of a mixed grip.

Got distracted by the music I was listening to, focused more on the music than the actual workout at times. Better to play an audio book or a podcast instead and not mess with it. Not bad for the first day back, can do better.

General Activity Log:

Woke at 9 AM instead of 6AM/7AM. Note-Don’t stay up past 11 pm unless it’s for a good reason.

Got ready for class instead. Zoning in and out of class thinking about playing again. Stayed present by focusing on the sensation in my toes.

Almost got locked inside the restroom because of my lack of awareness.  Doorstops: 1 Me: 0.

I successfully refused to play a game with a friend

Started the stuff I planned to do yesterday.

Knowledge Gained:

Interacting with others is becoming easier but it feels awkward in my mind. I think about it too much. I too much focus on the wrong things. I’m going to try treating others like NPCs. I never gave much thought to NPCs in a game, they were just “there”. Unless they had something of valuable to give/say like a quest or an item. Just engage and go with it.

Plan for Tomorrow:

Get up at 6 AM to finish the stuff I put off a couple of days ago, to procrastinate on the internet.

Get to class, do the assignments. Dedicate the rest of the time to self-development. 

Edited by KO

Good job! 

Not sure how long I can keep up the excuses. 

Don't use excuses, set boundaries.

Just gonna stay it stone-faced then: "Game free for the year and the next and the next one and the next one"

1/4/2017
Stats:

Charisma: E
Meal Summary:
Meal 1: Meat Pie
Meal 2: Burritos 
Workout Summary:
Rest Day
General Activity Log:
Finally woke up at 6 AM after three tries!
Listened to two Podcast before going to class.
Initiating conversations are getting easier, but I am still in the more passive role 80% of the time. 
Freaked how time I spent on I spent my phone/ Reddit. Just imagining how time I spent gaming without realizing it. Probably enough to become at decent a skill.
Knowledge Gained:
Interesting ideas from the podcasts:
Take action that is driven by results. Reminded me of Cam’s “Dumb Action” video. 

d00.png
“This world only remembers the results!”

Reading, planning, journaling, etc. are not bad but it is not action driven by results. The speaker refers to as buffer time. Like buffering prepares a video to be played. 
Uses the 80/20 rule in a different way. 80% should be action/20% should be buffering. 
Feedback!=Failure. Feedback is telling you that you are doing something wrong. Failure is not action/giving up. 
Associate with people above you (where you want to be). Associate with people at your level(peers). Associate with people you can give back to(mentees).

270?cb=20150227230857
 “You a re the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.”

I do not consider myself a high achiever(yet), but I am not a complete loser slacker(anymore). I am just average. I am currently in the progress of seeking out I mentors I can provide some value to. 
-----
The speaker talks about adding value to improve your financial situation. More value=more money. Money is just a representation of the value that something gives the marketplace. For example, in games, some classes are more favored than others. A healing/support class is more favored than a DPS class that is considered low-tier because they add more value to the group. 
Nothing means anything until the value is demonstrated. What I valued before is different from what I value now. A new class/expansion came out in FFXIV! I would have re-subbed and bought the expansion. Now who gives a shit? 
-----
I need to be more critical of myself or the addiction will take over. 
Revisit and think about the same concepts over and over again, trying to internalize them. Understanding>Knowledge. 
Plan for Tomorrow:
Limit phone leisure time to 30 minutes. Apply 3 seconds if I go beyond the time span allotted. 
Go to the gym early get it out the way.
Use Kanban Flow+ Pomodoro Timer to track and assignments. 
1 result driven action!

Edited by KO

1/5/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: 2 Bananas. Scrambled Eggs w/Turkey, Green Peppers and Onions. Oatmeal. 2 Pieces of French Toast.

Meal 2: Burger. Grilled Cheese w/ Ham. Rice. Chicken Thigh. Banana. Cauliflower. Broccoli.

Meal 3: Roasted Turkey Breast. Sweet Potatoes.

Workout Summary:

Light Day

Warm Up: Dynamic Stretching+ Jump Rope

5x2 230lb Squat

5x3 120lb Press

RMx3 5,5,5. Chin-Ups

12x3 Back Extensions

No changes overall. Listened to Meditations audio up to Book 4, 8:53-minute mark. Was able to focus more on the workout. Did not bother to change what I was listening to.

General Activity Log:

Early workout, breakfast then class.

Work assigned then lunch.

Now back to the dorm to rest.

Went 5 minutes over allowed leisure time. The thought of having yesterday’s repeat suddenly stopped me before wasting time. I cannot slack off now, GSD(Get Shit Done)!

Knowledge Gained:

N/A

Plan for Tomorrow:

N/A

1/6/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Meat Pie

Meal 2: White Rice. Green Beans. Broccoli. Cod Fish. 2 Cups of Water.

Workout Summary:

Rest Day

General Activity Log:

Spent a good chunk of time on the net. No relapse but I feel like I'm at rock bottom. 

Knowledge Gained:

Willpower alone is not enough sometimes

Plan for Tomorrow:

Do 1 productive thing tomorrow to redeem myself. 

1/7/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Coffee. Tea. Eggs. Broccoli. Chicken. 2 Cups of Water. 2 Bananas.

Meal 2: Chicken. Waffles. Carrots. Broccoli. Garlic Bread.

Workout Summary:

Rest Day

General Activity Log:

Started the day off with 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation.

Starting to get cravings again, the loneliness is creeping.

Knowledge Gained:

Scott Adams talks about replacing goals with systems in his book. Example, a writer could have this goal: write a book by 1/1/2018. A system would be writing y amount words for z number of hours each day. I believe it’s best to combine them. Focusing on the systems. Setting up milestones for the goal so you know where you stand.

Interesting ideas from a Fastlane forum post

My takeaways.

“Taking action” is important but it must be focused. “Plan for Tomorrows” have been very vague. I need to commit to making a permanent change. I need to commit. method/process/system/routine/MO/strategy/whatever and repeat it until it becomes like muscle memory. I could take the action of “quitting games” and then be right playing video games a week later despite taking the action of quitting for good! The result is to create a lifestyle where I do not consume video games anymore. The focused action becomes repeated then it becomes a habit then your habit becomes a lifestyle.

What you want to do in 3 months, 6 months, a year, five years? Define what you want so you know how to get it.

Add a numeric value to the goal. Instead of “I want to get better at programming” “I will write x number of programs by this date” Instead of “I’m going to start selling on amazon” “I will have x number of customers or x number of products sold by this date”

Break the end goal to into daily action. What routine will get me to that? If I wanted to read a # of books by this a certain time then I would read 20 pages a day, an hour, or whatever. This concept is like the one in the Slight Edge. These actions may not seem like much now but it will eventually build up over time.

What is holding you back for from achieving that goal? Mindset? Time wasters like facebook games? No commitment?

Identify where the battle is won and where the battle is lost. What you eat is decided by what you buy at the grocery store, not the fridge. Buy that ice cream, lost already. Buy that spinach you already won. When I watched twitch streams, I already lost before I installed. I would have won if I just blocked all access to gaming/related content or if I sold my gaming PC/console. Attack bad habits by making them inconvenient to access.

Give yourself a reward so your brain remembers the loop. Trigger>Cue >Reward. Cross it off each day. Mark down the daily accomplishment as X.

Recap:

1.    “I’m going to replace gaming with x,y, and z. I’m going to x,y,z frequently.” Better than just saying, “I’m going to quit games forever!” I had the mentality of the latter and ended up relapsing a week later. What habits can I form to make this into a lifestyle?

2.    Define what you want to do by a certain time. Example, I want to quit playing games.

3.    Make the goal specific by adding a numeric value. Make it measurable so you have to milestones to know where you stand.

4.    The daily action you take that helps reach that goal. A routine you can follow every day.

5.    Everything has an opportunity cost and the choice is yours how you spend it.

6.    Know where the battle is fought and won. Treat the root cause, not the symptom. Make the bad habit hard to access. Can’t easily watch all that x-rated stuff it’s blocked by several programs that can’t be removed.

7.    Give yourself a reward for the action so it becomes a habit. Trigger>Cue>Reward.

Plan for Tomorrow:

Start with baby steps then process to a 10-day challenge then the 30-day challenge. 

v

1/8/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Omelet w/ onions, turkey, cheese, green peppers, and ham. 2 biscuits. 2 bananas. Potatoes. Green beans. 2 cups of water.  

Meal 2: Pasta shells. Chicken. Fish. Cup of water.

Workout Summary:

Rest day

General Activity Log:

2 Minutes mindfulness meditation.

Wrote out 2 things I’m going to accomplish by next year.

Crashed and burned trying to change/do too much at once.  

Ended up not being very productive.

Knowledge Gained:

Changing too much at once never works overall.

Plan for Tomorrow:

Start morning routine with negative visualization

Mindfulness mediation

Reading

Writing

Start the 10 day challenge.

1/8/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Omelet w/ onions, turkey, cheese, green peppers, and ham. 2 biscuits. 2 bananas. Potatoes. Green beans. 2 cups of water.  

Meal 2: Pasta shells. Chicken. Fish. Cup of water.

Workout Summary:

Rest day

General Activity Log:

2 Minutes mindfulness meditation.

Wrote out 2 things I’m going to accomplish by next year.

Crashed and burned trying to change/do too much at once.  

Ended up not being very productive.

Knowledge Gained:

Changing too much at once never works overall.

Plan for Tomorrow:

Start morning routine with negative visualization

Mindfulness mediation

Reading

Writing

Start the 10 day challenge.

1/9/2017

Stats:

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Meat-pie.

Meal 2: Rice. Turkey. Cauliflower. Banana. 3 cups of water.

Meal 3: Meat Pie. Veggie chips.

Workout Summary:

5x5 285lb Squat-Missed a few reps during the last set. Redid the set.

5x5 115lb Press-Missed a few reps during the last two sets. Redid the sets.

5x1 340lb Deadlift-Double hook grip. No changes.

General Activity Log:

Negative visualization. “What could possibly go wrong?” “Could it get worse than this”?

Mindfulness meditation. 2 minutes.

A friend asked why I didn't play video games anymore. He replied with a snarky comment about how I gave in in the past.

Slacked off  

Knowledge Gained:

N/A

Plan for Tomorrow:

Fuck it, I know what I need to do.

Good job! 

Just gonna stay it stone-faced then: "Game free for the year and the next and the next one and the next one"

I would more say smth. like that you palyed too much Videogames in the past and no want to Focus more on other things and thats why you take a break/vacation fo games.

Good job! 

I would more say smth. like that you palyed too much Videogames in the past and no want to Focus more on other things and thats why you take a break/vacation fo games.

I'll try it :)