NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Just Do it Journal!-Going from Mediocre to Mighty

KO

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KO vs Gaming Addiction Round 3

YOOO! It's KO again with an another attempt to overcome my video game addiction. I'm down but I'm NOT OUT! I will be using the book "The 33 Strategies of War" by Robert Greene to guide me through.

Day 1

Strategy #1: Declare War on your enemies.

Robert Greene states that warfare starts in the mind. To change anything you must change your mindset To conquer anything you must conquer yourself, to master any discipline you must master yourself. Everything created in the world started as a vision. Vision and the will to execute are the most powerful tools we have as human beings. Everyday is a conflict, life is a series of conflicts. "If things are getting easier, maybe you're heading downhill"-African Proverb. Know thy enemy. You must find out who your enemies are and declare war on them. If you don't know who you are fighting then you have already lost the battle. It's been said many times before but I'll say it once more; the ego is your worst enemy. Listing the things you DON'T want to become will make it easier to define your identity and purpose. Who I don't want to be: A loser that defines his identity as a gamer and misses out on life for a flashing screen. Once you declare war on the enemy within you can declare war on external enemies. For me there is no center. Either I quit cold Turkey or I let it consume me slowly. You must take a stand games or your life, you can't please the self that wants to progress and the self that wants to remain stagnant.

1.Admit your weaknesses.

2. Declare war on yourself.

3. Declare war on external enemies if you have any.

Quests:

Find a hobby replacement for gaming

Join a club/organization at school

Develop a skill

Stats:

Spirit: F
Wisdom: D
Strength: A
Charisma: D
Potential: A

FIGHT ON!

YOOO! It's KO again with an another attempt to overcome my video game addiction. I'm down but I'm NOT OUT! I will be using the book "The 33 Strategies of War" by Robert Greene to guide me through.

Day 2

Strategy #2: Do not fight the last war.

"Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have"- Eckhart Tolle

Romanticizing the past often holds you back. You must wage war on your past by forcing yourself to react the present moment. You can't do much about the past because what is done is done. Feeling sorry for yourself or reminiscing about the "glory days" don't help you at all, in fact it hinders you. Greene uses the historic examples of Napoleon vs The Prussians and Miyamoto Musashi and his many duels as a swordsman. The Prussians disliked Napoleon's rash nature and dismissed his victories as pure luck. The Prussians were defeated by Napoleon because they insisted on using old outdated to tactics that worked in the past. "What limits an individual and even nations is the inability to confront reality" I used games to escape reality because my life sucked. It got much better once I addressed my problems. As we age it gets much harder to change our ways. Miyamoto Musashi was able to defeat his opponents because he adapted a different strategy each time he dueled because each battle was different. Forget about your relapses and streaks, clear your mind. You will have greater success by thinking: "I'm not playing any video games today, I'd rather do x, y, then z." than "I'm not playing video games ever again."

1. Challenge your old  paradigms. Mindset shift: You only have now, right now. You always have a choice.

2. Ditch whatever is not working for you.

3. Analyze your current situation

4.Think of possible actions you can take

5.Take those actions

6. Repeat steps 2-5

"My life is the complete opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have in every aspect of life, be it something to wear, something to eat... It's often wrong." - George Costanza

“If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.”- Jerry Seinfeld

https://youtu.be/t85KPTyiuCI

Quests:

Develop a skill to indeterminate level

Stats:

FIGHT ON!

Edited by KO

Hi, mate, it is good to see you haven't given up!

I personaly don't like the war against yourself approach, but if it works for you, keep it up.

YOOO! Might as well try one more time ;) Hey to each his own. I like the war approach because it frames my problem as more serious. Thank you for the support :)

Day 3

Strategy #3: Do not lose presence of mind 

"Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now." -Eckhart Tolle 

We can't control what happens outside of ourselves. On average we many thoughts racing though our heads. We can't control our thinking mind. We can control how we perceive our thoughts. These thoughts get much worse as we are put in difficult situations. We must toughen ourselves mentally and cultivate discipline.To do this you must expose yourself to things that will challenge you. You must rely on yourself, you can't depend on anyone. Being dependent on others make you weak. For example a baby is weak because it depends on adults to feed it and protect it. A man is strong because he doesn't depend on anyone to do things for him. He doesn't linger decisions and try to get "the best information" he makes quick decision in his head because he trusts his gut. I know this cheesy but TRUST IN YOURSELF. Name one successful person that got to the top because they doubted their abilities. Your time and energy are precious don't waste your time arguing against people. Arguing in general is a waste because you will never sway someone's opinion with their mind made up. State your opinion and move on. Focusing on simple tasks help you forget about your worries. Zen masters do not think about zen when they are walking, they just walk. You must become aware of these thoughts and let them pass. You can't let an urge or pressure from your peers stray you from your goal. We are not our thoughts we are the awareness of our thoughts. Self control is simply being aware of your actions. 

1.State what you are doing right now. 

2. Ask yourself questions for example: What does this activity do for me? Will this help me become the person I want to become? Will it be worth it in the long-term? 

3. Try to bring your self into the present by focusing on your breathing and what ever sensations you feel on your body

4.Try meditation for a couple minutes a day. I recommend using the Calm and Headspace apps. 

5. Look into stoicism. Meditations, The Enchiridion Epictetus, Letters of a Stoic.

6. Subject yourself to stressful situations. Cold showers, intermittent fasting, sleeping on the floor, intense exercise, don't use heat during winter and don't use A/C during the summer, abstaining from bad habits etc.  

7. Try re-frame negative thoughts. Example: "I just got fired from my job " "I just got fired from my job, it's an opportunity to get a much better job " "Someone criticized me!" "Someone criticized me, this is a good opportunity to use their feedback to grow as a person." "I got rejected today :(" "I got rejected today :), it saved me from wasting my time. I can focus my energy on something else" 

Quests

Stats:

FIGHT ON!

Day 4

Strategy #4:

Create A sense of Urgency and Desperation

The Death-Ground Strategy

African Proverbs:

"By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed"

“No name rules forever on the throne of time”

You are your own worst enemy. You think about everything but the present and right now. You half-ass everything instead of putting your best effort in. Thinking about past blunders and fantasizing how good everything will be in the future without putting in any effort in RIGHT NOW. You can’t kind of want something either you want it or you don’t. You have to commit to yourself. You have to take full responsibility for your own actions. Everything that happens to you is your fault Sometimes it isn’t but take responsibility for it anyway. “It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it”-Seneca. Take your life seriously! You only get one or so I’m told. Create a sense of urgency in your mind, you everything to lose. Oh I have a great idea, but first I’m going to beat this level before I try to execute. It’s video games or your LIFE. Which do you value more? Your back is against the wall what you do? Take the challenge or do you decline and accept a pathetic death. YOU CAN’T return to old ways. Commit to your grow or commit to sitting on your ass all day playing steam. You could die tomorrow and all you have to show for it are video game achievements. Typing this post may be the last thing I ever do. We have to live as if we were dying within a year. Time is ticking, your days are numbered. What are you going to do? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO FUCKING DO?

1. Make your decision

2. Don't go back be sure to burn bridges so you can't go back. 

3. With no where to run you MUST fully COMMIT whatever you're doing in the present moment. 

"This is how I did Anton: I never saved anything for the swim Back" - Andrew Niccol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-znjDGubE

Quests

Cut off my "friends" 

Stats:

FIGHT ON!

You can be your worst enemy, but you can also be your biggest asset. It just depends on what you focus on.

I agree with this. The only things you truly own in this world are your body and your mind. The rest is up to you.

You can be your worst enemy, but you can also be your biggest asset. It just depends on what you focus on.

I agree with this. The only things you truly own in this world are your body and your mind. The rest is up to you.

Attitude is 90% of the game! 

• 3 months later...

Starting over again. 

New format

------------

12/27/2016

Stats:

Spirit: C

Body: C

Mind: C

Charisma: E

Discipline: D

Developmental Potential: A 

Meal Summary:

Workout Summary:

General Activity Log:

Knowledge Gained:

Plan for Tomorrow

Welcome back!

Thank you!

Welcome Back! :D

Thank you!

Hello!

This looks a bit like statistics from RPG! Especially the charisma one.

You want to improve it? Tell me, please, what would you like to be able to do in social interactions with ease and comfort but you can't do it? If you specify it, I'll give you a task to do on adapted level. :)

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

Yes, my social intelligence is fairly low. I'm not very good at starting conversations and sustaining them. 

12/28/2016

Stats:

Spirit: C

Discipline: D->E

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Rice, Turkey, Eggs. 

Meal 2: Fried Yams

Workout Summary:

Calisthenics

Push-ups

Squats

Sit-Ups

Vacuums  

General Activity Log:

Woke up late. Meditated for 5 mins. Re-installed steam then I relapsed. ZERO-DAY.

Knowledge Gained:

I can't trust myself without paternal control programs. I make excuses why I should game but I rarely make excuses why I shouldn't game. 

Plan for Tomorrow:

Uninstalling steam and adding blockers. Keep myself busy by being productive or else it I'll just be spending time on Netflix, Youtube, and Reddit. 

Yes, my social intelligence is fairly low. I'm not very good at starting conversations and sustaining them. 

Ok, so I have an exercise for you.

This way you'll boost your social intelligence, charisma or as I call it, self-confidence to the higher level.

Higher enough to starting conversations. This is important to have ability to start, and then I'll give you a tip on how to continue them or not.

That's an exercise. It'll take only couple of SECONDS to do each day, so don't say to me that you don't have enough time.

Go outside and say to the stranger "Hello!" with a smile on your face.

Do it three times to different stranger.

And that's it! Nothing more for now.

But you'll have to do it 5 times a week for 4 weeks to have results.

Don't worry! You'll be much better at it after every time you'll do it.

And don't be afraid of feeling weird or so. Most of these people will look at you like you're weirdo but some of them will say hello to you and there you go! This way you've worked your way to level D charisma :)

Let me know if you accept my challenge for you: 3 times a day, 5 times a week for 4 weeks you'll say Hello to different strangers on any social situation.

If you do, I want to see your report on that on your journal. This will help A LOT on keeping yourself busy and consistent! :)

General Activity Log:

Woke up late. Meditated for 5 mins. Re-installed steam then I relapsed. ZERO-DAY.

Any particular reason for relapse? Because meditation could hurt you, but I wouldn't believe it was a trigger in that case.

Think about triggers and let me know.

12/29/2016

Stats:

Spirit: C->D

Discipline: E

Meal Summary:

Meal 1: Rice.Eggs. Beef

Meal 2: Peanut Soup

Meal 3: Meat-pie

Workout Summary:

Calisthenics

Push-ups

Squats

Sit-Ups

Vacuums  

General Activity Log:

ZERO-DAY. Uninstalled my games added blockers. Then I spent most of the day on YouTube and Reddit. 

Knowledge Gained:

My online game addiction is just a symptom of my need of constant stimulation. 

Plan for Tomorrow:

Block YouTube, Reddit and any access to proxies. Finally get to what I have been putting off. 

Edited by KO

Ok, so I have an exercise for you.

This way you'll boost your social intelligence, charisma or as I call it, self-confidence to the higher level.

Higher enough to starting conversations. This is important to have ability to start, and then I'll give you a tip on how to continue them or not.

That's an exercise. It'll take only couple of SECONDS to do each day, so don't say to me that you don't have enough time.

Go outside and say to the stranger "Hello!" with a smile on your face.

Do it three times to different stranger.

And that's it! Nothing more for now.

But you'll have to do it 5 times a week for 4 weeks to have results.

Don't worry! You'll be much better at it after every time you'll do it.

And don't be afraid of feeling weird or so. Most of these people will look at you like you're weirdo but some of them will say hello to you and there you go! This way you've worked your way to level D charisma :)

Let me know if you accept my challenge for you: 3 times a day, 5 times a week for 4 weeks you'll say Hello to different strangers on any social situation.

If you do, I want to see your report on that on your journal. This will help A LOT on keeping yourself busy and consistent! :)

General Activity Log:

Any particular reason for relapse? Because meditation could hurt you, but I wouldn't believe it was a trigger in that case.

Think about triggers and let me know.

I accept your challenge! Not sure about the meditation. My main triggers are watching gameplay/trailers/youtuber reviews. "Oh new class/character got released. I'll play for only 10 minutes then I'm done for good!"