NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Joseph's Journal

Josephh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m continuing to do further research into living independently on my own, although I haven’t progressed much from the last time around. There are events on campus in the upcoming few days and weeks that are all about gathering information and speaking to people (including landlords) regarding this stuff, so I hope to take advantage of those at some point. The more I think about it, the more inclined I feel about making this decision and the more I hope I won’t be too late to make that decision when school comes again starting this fall.

You'll love it!

Day 24:

Registration for courses just happened. I missed out on a couple of my first options. Oh well. I still had back-ups which I was able to take. I’ve got a solid selection of courses that I’ll be looking forward to coming this upcoming year.

I’ve spent the past two days working on school and that assignment, so I don’t have anything else to add. I got my essay back – it’s a 78%, which isn’t too bad and is slightly above my expectations. I’m aiming for something close to that amount (or maybe even better) for this next assignment. I always generally have a sense of skepticism and slight nervousness over what will happen though with every assignment I hand in (although it’s probably a healthy sense of skepticism, it’s not like it affects me THAT badly).

It’ll also be quite busy for me the next few days with learning driving and sorting other things out, which I’ll probably try to update you guys more frequently on as those days come.

Day 25:

Just received a lot of information regarding renting, since it’s already too late to look into on-campus living. Quite a lot of information to look over – things regarding what to look for when renting, potential scams, what landlords should be doing, other legal things and so forth. It does appear that I’m also on the right timing when it comes to looking for a place, according to those I’ve spoken to. It’s still a bit nerve-wracking though, because I don't know what's going to happen, but I aim to follow through on this. I now have the right resources to begin my search.

I’ve also scheduled some more driving lessons for tomorrow and on Saturday as well, though Saturday will be more lecturing rather than practice.

And remember, although this may be your first time looking for a place, in the future you'll be able to do it easily no problem. :)

That’s kind of the takeaway that I’m getting as well in regards to driving – the more I practice those skills, the easier it will be for me. This goes for lots of other things too besides driving. =P

Day 27:

I’ve been learning about driving the past two days mostly. The driving lessons went well overall. I have some basic feeling of how to operate a car, although mainly under residential roads still. I’m making some mistakes still, obviously (for example, I nearly hit a parked car while I was turning on a curve in the road), though there’s a reason why I have a driving instructor by my side. :P 

I’m also learning the three-point turn, which I’ll probably get more practice on soon enough. I never realized how tiring driving can get – especially when it comes to getting a feeling for the brakes for acceleration, etc. But after all, these are habits that will only develop over time for me – as is the case for everyone else who can drive already.

I’ve also been learning how to operate under certain conditions while on the road, generally about when I’m at intersections involving stop signs and traffic signals and etc. It was difficult to learn all these rules; both when I’m hearing it for the first time and when I’m actually practicing them.

Anyways, I’ll definitely be continuing more of that later on without question, while at the same time also focusing on other projects and priorities.

Day 34:

Sorry it’s been a while. I’ve been doing some things.

The search for a new place has been stressful. I’m not used to this at all… and it’s all just slightly more than a month before school starts (but technically I’m aiming for the 1st of the month, because that’s how these things should go). I have a whole bunch of stuff prepared at least, and I've already looked at a bunch of places... but maybe I’m just too worried about certain things like living in something rundown, or living with terrible roommates… I don’t necessarily know what to do should I end up in such situations in the first place, even if I do my best to prevent them. My problem is that I don’t exactly have many friends that I can turn to who might refer me to something… let alone anybody I know that at the moment is looking for roommates or looking for a place like me (which at the same time is exactly why I want to do this because I feel like it'll introduce me to more new people and more new friends that I otherwise would have trouble making due to my awkward scheduling at the moment).

Budgeting is also a concern, though I think I should have enough to cover for enough adequacies, obviously I’m not going to live luxuriously. I’ve been trying to look up some information as much as I can – although I wonder if this is just an instance of me thinking about this too much and if I should just really take the plunge and go for whatever at first glance is interesting.

I might be overthinking this too much, I don’t know. But hopefully I’ll get something. It won’t be the end of the world if I don’t, but I feel like by having to take this hour and a half commute everyday (3 hours total per day counting the return trip), it will hinder me from living the kind of life that I want to live and will prevent me from pursuing the things I want to do for this school year and in upcoming years. I want to seize that opportunity if I can do so.

I’ve been learning driving in the meanwhile. I’m getting better at it – I’m driving on the main roads now. I’m still getting used to lane changing and so forth. Learning about a ton of other things about driving – which I’ll be continuing to do tomorrow and on Monday too.

Also continuing to focus on my studies for this summer, so there’s that. My assignment is due soon, and not too long later there will be an exam. I’m getting an 84% in the class thus far. Works if I'm only taking this one class over the summer, but with the way things are right now I don't think I can manage a full course load at this same pace (though I'll be damned if I don't at least try).

Anyways, that’s all I can say at this point. I know I had a bunch of projects I wanted to do that I’ve planned from earlier journal entries – and I hope to do them at some point, but right now I have quite a bit on my plate. Hopefully this will be just another phase and that things will fall in place for me, but as of right now I can only hope that I’m just building this up too much in my head and that everything will be fine.

Edited by RControl

• 4 weeks later...

Day 57:

It’s been about a month since I last updated. As you can gather from my last few entries, I have been working on some various projects over the past few weeks. This will be a longer entry than usual since I’ll just be using this time to recap what I’ve done over the past few weeks.

Firstly, I found a place. Already signed the lease agreement some several days ago. I move in just a few days before school starts at the very beginning of September. I’m stressed and nervous. There was a whole lot of things I have to consider when it comes to searching for the right place – does the place leak? Do I know my rights as a tenant? – but that was the least of my worries. The other issue involves what happens next after. Could I balance school work with life outside of it? This includes possibly working part-time, getting involved in many things on-campus, making some new friends in the process… Plus be able to take care of myself and be more responsible for my actions during this process?

As I have stated many entries ago, I go to a school that is very intensive in terms of its workload (in fact it is a top-ranked institution in the world – if for whatever reason those rankings matter to you); it also doesn’t participate in grade inflation like many other schools I know. So it’s actually pretty easy to fall behind in terms of school work if I’m not careful – which is why I need to take these things into consideration. It has its pros and cons – just like any other college or university that would have served as other options for me anyways. There will always be options regardless of if I don’t do well in school – but I feel like it would help regardless if I can do well in school while also putting priority on these other issues that concern me as of right now in regards to living on my own.

Anyways, I’ve continued my driving lessons. I’ve picked up on my driving skills quite a bit. I can drive much more confidently now and with ease. I still need to practice my parking. Besides that I have a lot of the basics down and I can pretty much drive to a lot of different places that I’d like to go within the city (if not the highways/freeways). I still need a few more practice sessions – but afterwards I should be able to do the driving examination which will allow me to upgrade my license and get more driving privileges.

Summer school had finished not too long ago. I got a 78% overall. Not too bad I guess and it is within my expectations. I’m hoping, although maybe not expecting considering how I’ll have to adjust to my future environment, that I can improve on that performance once school starts again in the Fall, albeit with more courses that I’ll be taking.

I’ve only finished 5 books so far out of the 25 I’ve set as a goal for myself by the end of the year. A few were books I had to read for school anyways. Still have not finished The Powers of Habit, I must admit. I should have some time tomorrow to get this done since things have died down a bit and I can have a moment to work on some other things I wanted to get done.