NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Addicted to multiple games?

Sashiku

I was curious about something. Most of the people here seem to have been addicted to only one or two games. I can't really identify with that since I've played hundreds of games throughout my 10ish years gaming. I played MMOs first then moved to Coop games then to Single player games. The singleplayer game I played the most was Skyrim with over 1000 hours played. Second most played was Either Fallout 4 or Sims 3-4. I also had a ton of hours on Gary's Mod and Goat Simulator. I think my ADHD played a huge part in switching games often. At first I didn't switch much. My first game was neopets and I still played it every now and then for about 12 years. My second game and the game I was most devoted to was Maplestory. xD I played it regularly for a few years but ended up very bored of it.

My question here is: did any of you have the same problem with playing tons of games instead of sticking to one or two?

For me, it was actually a cycle - I would be addicted to one game at a time, though. I would switch around between various types of games too; Counter Strike, The Witcher 3, World of Warcraft, Runescape, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Stardew Valley, Team Fortress 2 etc. 

Starcraft 2 was probably what I spent the most time playing. I would actually be scared to see how many hours I put into it, considering I put in probably ~300 into each game listed, and those were NOTHING compared to how much I played Starcraft 2. 

It is interesting how the addiction wasn't to any particular game... but rather, to ANY video game almost. Really goes to show that there isn't too much that is special when it comes to video games and spending time. They can be replaced - it will just take effort.

Hi @Sashiku

I'm someone who has played a vast number of games over the years, so I can probably relate to your situation somewhat. What I have learnt however, is that the signs of addiction were at their most apparent when I was playing a particular genre, the games of which include Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Battlefield.. can you see a pattern?

We may all be in the same choir, but we don't all sing from the same hymn sheet (it makes sense in my head, so I'm sticking with that analogy!). How certain games affect us differs from person to person. @GoldenGains listed a number of games above, some of which you couldn't even pay me to play. Stick Team Fortress 2 on in front of me however...

All I can really suggest is to use the time away from gaming to look back and reflect on how gaming impacted on your life. It could just be certain genres like RPG's that cause you problems, or it could be all games that trigger an addictive response, that's something for you to discover :)

Edited by Mark

For me, it was actually a cycle - I would be addicted to one game at a time, though. I would switch around between various types of games too; Counter Strike, The Witcher 3, World of Warcraft, Runescape, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Stardew Valley, Team Fortress 2 etc. 

Starcraft 2 was probably what I spent the most time playing. I would actually be scared to see how many hours I put into it, considering I put in probably ~300 into each game listed, and those were NOTHING compared to how much I played Starcraft 2. 

It is interesting how the addiction wasn't to any particular game... but rather, to ANY video game almost. Really goes to show that there isn't too much that is special when it comes to video games and spending time. They can be replaced - it will just take effort.

Yep. My latest one was Stardew Valley. xD So I completely understand that one. Doing fine without it though.

Hi @Sashiku

I'm someone who has played a vast number of games over the years, so I can probably relate to your situation somewhat. What I have learnt however, is that the signs of addiction were at their most apparent when I was playing a particular genre, the games of which include Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Battlefield.. can you see a pattern?

We may all be in the same choir, but we don't all sing from the same hymn sheet (it makes sense in my head, so I'm sticking with that analogy!). How certain games affect us differs from person to person. @GoldenGains listed a number of games above, some of which you couldn't even pay me to play. Stick Team Fortress 2 on in front of me however...

All I can really suggest is to use the time away from gaming to look back and reflect on how gaming impacted on your life. It could just be certain genres like RPG's that cause you problems, or it could be all games that trigger an addictive response, that's something for you to discover :)

Good analogy~ I actually loved the characters from TF2. I made a lot of SFM renders of them. I believe RPG games were the most addicting, but I think I could get addicted to any game. Just being here with a game in front of me was my problem I believe. I am doing fine so far, no slip ups, but its only day 3. :)

Oh, I played ton of flash games, idle games, strategies, RPGs, zombie games, fuckin' every type! Ah, almost every type. Excluding FPS and sport games. They just sucks.

So I've been struggling with this, especially with the fact, that when I got bored by one game, I just change it into another one. Really tricky to spend even 10 hours of my precious life.

How to deal with it? Just realize how much your time is worth.

How much do you earn per hour of work? For example let's say I earn 10$ (it's different value in my country, but it's just an example). By spending 1000 hours on any game it's like throwing away 10 000$. And by spending 10 hours I throw away 100$. Easy and efficient.

I have played so many different games i cannot keep count of them. They however seemed to fall into specific groups:

World of Warcraft (Own category). Citybuilding games. Buildup Games. Round-based Strategy. Trade simulations. SinglePlayer RPGs (many different kinds). Puzzle games. I think the total time spent was WoW ~= Citybuilding+Buildup+Round based Strategy+Trade sims ~= SinglePlayer RPGs > Puzzle games+Adventures.

When i played WoW, it consumed everything. When i didn't play WoW, i had times when i played more Buildup-type games and there were times when i played more RPGs. I sometimes played Puzzle games/Adventures inbetween.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all of us here played tons of games, but when we think about it, the majority of out addiction was boiled down into a certain subset of games or a certain genre. Back when I was a gamer, I played everything. Strategy games, casual FPS games, racing games, RPG / MMO style games, you name it. But the majority of my time played was on competitive games like CS:GO and Starcraft 2. At the end of the day, giving up gaming isn't about the games themselves, never forget that. Whether it be one game you play for 16 hours a day, or 12 games you play separately for 16 hours a day, it makes no difference. Make the switch and don't look back.

• 1 year later...

I really like PoE and PoE mostly I play, but when it comes to playing with cooperation - EVE Online definitely wins. Unfortunately EVE consumes too much time, and buying EVE ISK costs too much. This is definitely the POE that is Free to Play, and buying Exalted Orb does not ruin your wallet.

Edited by Teddy

• 1 month later...

I too like playing huge number of Multiplayer as well as single player games Online on the XBOX as well as Playstation console whose Subscription Prepaid card I have bought from Press-Start after one of my friends suggested me to Acheter Xbox gift card 50 euros and Acheter Playstation Plus 365 jours which offers a lot like downloading games and other entertaining contents online.