Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A new way to arrange the daily Journals

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

I want to make a suggestion for the DailyJournal-section. In my opinion it is important to get some feedback right away, if you start posting your journal. and to receive it from more people then just Cam. Because it shows you as new member that people actually care about your sucess too and that you aren't alone in this. It helped me alot that Kortheoc ommented on my introduction and showed that he really read it( thank you btw.). 

To make this easier, my idea is to arrange the daily journals in categories. Like Veteran-Journals, Longtime-member-Journals and New-Member-Journals. This would it make easier to help new members, with commentating on their journals. And if you want to motivate yourself by someone who is following his goals for a long time, you could just go on some veteran-journal withnew posts. Sure in some way you can do this all ready by checking the amount of comments someone created. But as the community grows, this would, in my opinion, structure the forum in a nice way. I mean there will be way more journals out there and you will need more and more time, to find these journals, you wanna read and comment on.

What do you think about that idea?

Edited by WorkInProgress

Posted

This isn't a bad idea. Right now, due to the growing community, there is no structure, indeed. That's why I just abandonned the idea of a public journal (I have one but won't update it anymore) and I'm not going to read other's journals anymore. There is just too much. Why focus on one person and not another while everyone is fighting the same common enemy?

So I prefer to read the other topics, more dedicated to one subject in particular. Journals are very interesting, and I see a lot of great suggestions or recommendations on books, movies, hobbies, etc ... but I'd rather pass the time reading a book or doing something else than try to answer to everyone. But that's just me. 

I don't want to replace gaming with gamequitters.Com ^^

1 person likes this

Posted

This isn't a bad idea. Right now, due to the growing community, there is no structure, indeed. That's why I just abandonned the idea of a public journal (I have one but won't update it anymore) and I'm not going to read other's journals anymore. There is just too much. Why focus on one person and not another while everyone is fighting the same common enemy?

So I prefer to read the other topics, more dedicated to one subject in particular. Journals are very interesting, and I see a lot of great suggestions or recommendations on books, movies, hobbies, etc ... but I'd rather pass the time reading a book or doing something else than try to answer to everyone. But that's just me. 

There was a time where replying to every journal was possible. Now as the community grows (and it will only continue to grow), I would just encourage you to pop in to journals here and there just as you pop into other topics and share your perspective. Keeping a journal is a good exercise, whether it's online or offline. 

Posted

Hi there,

I want to make a suggestion for the DailyJournal-section. In my opinion it is important to get some feedback right away, if you start posting your journal. and to receive it from more people then just Cam. Because it shows you as new member that people actually care about your sucess too and that you aren't alone in this. It helped me alot that Kortheoc ommented on my introduction and showed that he really read it( thank you btw.). 

To make this easier, my idea is to arrange the daily journals in categories. Like Veteran-Journals, Longtime-member-Journals and New-Member-Journals. This would it make easier to help new members, with commentating on their journals. And if you want to motivate yourself by someone who is following his goals for a long time, you could just go on some veteran-journal withnew posts. Sure in some way you can do this all ready by checking the amount of comments someone created. But as the community grows, this would, in my opinion, structure the forum in a nice way. I mean there will be way more journals out there and you will need more and more time, to find these journals, you wanna read and comment on.

What do you think about that idea?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to play with a few ideas and see what works best. I think finding some way to highlight new members journals is great.

Posted

Check out the Journals section. I've Featured and Pinned a few new journals. Right now I'm thinking of doing this for those under 10 replies. I may remove the Pin eventually and just use the Featured icon (green icon next to their title.)

This is one option.

Alternatively I can create a sub-section for New Members.

1 person likes this

Posted

I like both ideas. If you decide what you like best it would be a good diea to explain this in the how to get started section, so people aren't wondering what thsi green thingy's at the journal meanxD. Actually didnt thought you would cahnge somethign right away. Butt, why waiting i guess. Good Job Cam!

Posted

I can see this as being problematic too.  I would love to be supportive to everyone on here, but I simply don't have the time to read everyone's journal.  I will respond when I can, but nowadays time is limited online, especially evenings.  I think what's working right now is having the new people's journals posted permanently at the top of the forums for a certain period of time.  This way, they are seen to immediately, and hopefully they'll feel supported and not ignored. 

The other side of the coin is that having a solid community wherein you receive positive feedback during the detox period is invaluable.  It can really help a person sustain their habit-building and momentum to achieve short-term or long-term goals.  A community that interacts will drive the behavior of the individuals.  That's what I am seeing right now, as new people start joining the forums. 

And in turn, because people supported me in the beginning, I feel that I would like to return the favor. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I can see this as being problematic too.  I would love to be supportive to everyone on here, but I simply don't have the time to read everyone's journal.  I will respond when I can, but nowadays time is limited online, especially evenings.  I think what's working right now is having the new people's journals posted permanently at the top of the forums for a certain period of time.  This way, they are seen to immediately, and hopefully they'll feel supported and not ignored. 

The other side of the coin is that having a solid community wherein you receive positive feedback during the detox period is invaluable.  It can really help a person sustain their habit-building and momentum to achieve short-term or long-term goals.  A community that interacts will drive the behavior of the individuals.  That's what I am seeing right now, as new people start joining the forums. 

And in turn, because people supported me in the beginning, I feel that I would like to return the favor. 

Yep, 100%. The community is only going to continue to grow so finding the best ways to make sure people who are at least new get welcomed into the community right away is partially the best we can do. Always open to ideas to improve things otherwise.

Posted

Wondering if this is neccesary. At the home section we can see the new members. I just click their names and check theirs posts, sometimes submitting replies.