How to be motivated to get up so early?

TylerRoss

In the past, before going to work, I usually get up early, around 6 am. But recently I changed my job and the office is quite closer to home, I often wake up later. I felt comfortable in the early days, but gradually I realized I was wasting my time in the morning. I'm trying to find the motivation to get up early. Is there any way to wake up earlier? help me, please !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TylerRoss said:

In the past, before going to work, I usually get up early, around 6 am. But recently I changed my job and the office is quite closer to home, I often wake up later. I felt comfortable in the early days, but gradually I realized I was wasting my time in the morning. I'm trying to find the motivation to get up early. Is there any way to wake up earlier? help me, please !!

I think your answer is in the words you just wrote. You realize you're wasting time and would feel better waking up early. I think we look for motivation, approval, or the permission to do something we desire because we feel trapped. I'd just simplify it because it seems like you're in your own head. Just wake up earlier and go to bed earlier and see how it feels for 3 weeks. 

I used to wake up at 5 for work and go to bed at 10. I got a new job closer to home and woke up at 830. It felt nice at first but I feel lethargic every day now. I enjoyed the earlier start time. The only reason I don't wake up early at the moment is because I hate my current job and don't want to wake up lol. I'd rather wake up and do something else. 

• Like 1

It's practice.

Jocko Willink's podcast got me motivated to getting up early, and ensuring that i was productive with my time. The first step is getting into the habit of getting up early, and then once that is ingrained, become aware of what you're doing with your time. I always ask myself "is this task worth giving up sleep for?" If the answer is no, then move onto something that is worth getting up for.

It's a muscle just like anything else, you need to keep working on it before it becomes second nature. If you lapse into allowing yourself to hit the snooze button or to do other things apart from working, then that will become habit too.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two methods for me to find motivation for waking up early:

1. (Easy, from my experience) Find something fun to do at this time of the day, and something to look forward to when you wake up. I enjoy waking up early because my house is very quiet, and the weather outside is very pleasant. I also try to think of something I'd enjoy doing if I were to get out of bed- most of the time, it is putting my earrings on and getting food. 

2. (Pretty Difficult imo) Integrate waking up early into my identity. Waking up early and getting a lot of work done before the sun is blasting me with heat is something I believe I'd want to be, not only do. I'm not someone who just likes to wake up early; other parts of my identity- being a successful student, an amateur athlete, a passionate artist- rely and need those early. If I don't wake up early, I am not the person who I believe myself to be- someone cooool. And I want to be me, you know. 

go to bed earlier. i once made uber sleep. for me i get up automatically at 2. well rested. gone to bed 18:00.

but you surely need to find a perfect timing depending on your work.