NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

4 Months in, And I Have Urges Of Playing Video Games

Tazer

Hi everyone, I recently had a lot of urges, and I was wondering how I could forget about my video game memories altogether. I seem to consciously know that video games are a waste of time, but I keep thinking about “relapsing”. How do I fix this? I know this is a short post, but it would mean the world to me if I could find a way of wiping video games from my memory.

I can suggest a number of books:

1) Atomic Habits by James Clear

Most people interested in changing their way of life don’t have any bearings on the psychological nuances. This book gives those bearings to the reader (not necessarily a gamer) in a very clear and practical way and enables him to see the cost.

Atomic habits is a great piece of work, it will put you on the spot immediately by making your subconscious impulses evident to you, and by explaining to you what works in dropping bad habits and what doesn’t. 

2) Power of habit

Similar work to Atomic Habits but more technical on psychological issues.

The following two books will shatter beyond repair the wishful thinking of any emasculated western subject (not implying you are such):

“No more mr nice guy” by Glover

”Death of Ivan Iliytch” classic by Leo Tolstoy.

This second book was hard to read for me. It tells a story of a man who is constantly trying to fit The values that society imposes on him and goes to ridiculous lengths to achieve that. He then loses the plot entirely and seems just to be racing to make more money. Nothing else really matters at that stage. It sort of just voids his life entirely of any meaning and closer towards death he is suffering morally for having turned away from honesty and sincerity with himself.

P.S.

Fight it man, your striving is not in vain.

Edited by Amphibian220

@Tazer

One idea from Cam was helpful for me there. He said you should not forget gaming, but actually be thankful for the ways it helped you in the past. Say thanks and goodbye. Find what needs gaming fullfilled for you and become the persone who has other, more valuable ways to fulfill these needs. Then you can still look back and think of the good times you had gaming without urges to play. Because you like you are today has better things to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 5:44 AM, WorkInProgress said:

@Tazer

One idea from Cam was helpful for me there. He said you should not forget gaming, but actually be thankful for the ways it helped you in the past. Say thanks and goodbye. Find what needs gaming fullfilled for you and become the persone who has other, more valuable ways to fulfill these needs. Then you can still look back and think of the good times you had gaming without urges to play. Because you like you are today has better things to do.

This.

I was about to post the same thing. Understand the difference between nostalgia and the desire to play games. I really enjoy my nostalgia now, and it's a great conduit with old friends I thought I had to cut myself off from. We could have great conversations like "remember that time when we did X" or "beat boss Y" and have a few laughs. But afterwards recognise that's not what you do anymore and you're onto bigger and greater things. You will be surprised how understanding your friends will really be.