NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Need advice

NEXRAD

I am in 9th grade (14 yrs. old) and I am home schooled (which really isn't that different to distance learning). My addiction with games began at about 11 when I got a Nintendo switch, and it got so bad that I had to sell it. That wasn't the end, because after that I developed an even worse addiction with twitch streams, where at my worst point I watched about 10 hours per day. It's been a painful process but now I have got out of it, even though I still occasionally do relapse. The problem is, when I left gaming, I left my only social connections which were the twitch chat and streamers (I know it's a pretty bad social circle). Of course the pandemic has only worsened the social situation, and I have found myself alone with my parents. A few weeks ago I met a new kid (younger than me, 12 yrs) and I really thought that I may find a new friend. Unfortunately, he is VERY addicted to Minecraft, which triggered  a relapse into watching 3 hr streams. Thankfully, my parents are the ones who manage the checkbook, so to buy Minecraft I would have to get their permission, which even if I wanted to buy the game ( which I don't) would get a flat NO as a reply (they were the ones who started my withdrawal process). Anyways, I knew this kid would just be a bad influence, so I really can't be his friend, as the only things he wants to do is play games and really doesn't understand my problem with them. This left me extremely isolated and discouraged. I am a bit of a nerd, but I have usually been able to make good friends. However the pandemic has really shut down my social life (I didn't have that big of a one anyway), and I feel very isolated. I have tried to connect with some of my old friends via Discord, but again, since it is online, they usually want to play video games. I really don't know what to do. I appreciate all advice and suggestions, because I really need it. Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

Hi! I'd to say my honest opinion as a person who is kinda from another generation (29 y.o) - I've read your message and feel proud of you. You seem smart, adequate, and conscious guy. You already understand your problem and want to get rid of it. 

I agree with @a89529294 that you can find a hobby and think about yourself. Maybe to do some sport? Maybe to try something, that may be your future job someday? Maybe to try some online courses? Which interests except for games and streams do you have? If you want to socialize, why don't to join some club? Sorry, I don't know your whole life situation and it's just a suggestions. 

You know, you have a lot of time now to try, to decide, to make mistakes - use this time! Don't be like me, almost 30 y.o., without any money, confidence, plans 🙂 All is going like a snowball. Your mindset - your time and interests - your studying - your choices - your job - your financial and mental state. If I just understood it in my 14 y.o. 🙂

Please love yourself as a person and take care of yourself. 

Edited by Oxanasayuri
  • Like 1

Hey @Oxanasayuriand @a89529294thanks for the advice. I really enjoy sports, strategic board games (strategic video games were my favorite genre), and I really enjoy history. And as you suggested, I will definitely try and look for online communities (at least until the pandemic in my country winds down a bit).  I have tried coding a bit, but I have stopped learning it. I should really pick that hobby back up. I tried just filling up my time 100% with just studying , but that is just a recipe for burnout. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which hobbies I could pick up? Thanks 🙂 !

• Like 2