NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Should I quit Gaming

POGtrick

It's your decision, we can't choose for you. However, 3000 to 4000 hours is a lot of time. You should ask yourself if playing that much is making you isolated or grumpy or making you miss out on important things.  You also need to ask yourself if there are any goals (outside of games) or dreams you want to accomplish. Will playing 3000 hours help me towards that goal? If the answer is no, then you need to scan your current situation. Why did you play games? Did they provide an escape from issues? Did they provide a sense of community? Did they give me a sense of progression? These are the three main reasons why people continue to game. Once you've done that you should look for hobbies that not only satisfy those needs but also help you towards whatever your goals are. Make sure to write them down too. 

If you do decide to quit games, you will face urges and you might relapse. Not saying that to scare you, just be aware of it. Finding hobbies is the most important thing to do if you're looking to quit games as it fills time and it provides a barrier from urges if you enjoy it. 

Please let me know what your decision is, I am curious to hear!

Best 

Jason

• Like 2

3000 - 4000 hours is more than a third of the year! I'm just going to go ahead and say, yeah, you might want to consider quitting. I can tell you from experience that you will regret the time that you spend playing video games. It is time you will not get back. 

I'm not trying to push you into anything but just imagine a future where you continually do that for 5, 10, 15 years. In three years alone you have given one year of your life to video games. 

Just consider what you might get back if you did quit. 

All the best.

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, MuMuMelon said:

3000 - 4000 hours is more than a third of the year! I'm just going to go ahead and say, yeah, you might want to consider quitting. I can tell you from experience that you will regret the time that you spend playing video games. It is time you will not get back. 

I'm not trying to push you into anything but just imagine a future where you continually do that for 5, 10, 15 years. In three years alone you have given one year of your life to video games. 

Just consider what you might get back if you did quit. 

All the best.

Mike

The sad thing I have been spending that amount of time playing video games for while. In 2018 and 2019 spend roughly 3000-4000 hours a year however in 2020 it was probably close to 5,000 due to covid 19. I'M trying to get a job but it is very hard. 2012-2017 I probably spent roughly-2000-4000 hours playing video games . From 2007-2011 i spent roughly 1500-2000 hours per a year. Which means I have spend roughly 38750 hours playing video games in 14 years plus about 900 hours this year.

Edited by POGtrick
more info

@POGtrick

No one here is judging you. I can still remember the days when I was at university and would play 9hours a day while my wife was at work, only to lie that I have studied. Most of us have a similar backstory (or otherwise they wouldn't search for a forum about game addiction).

If you play that much and stop gaming there will be a void to be filled. This has its blessings (time for family, reduced time stress, easier to care for your self) and its downfalls (no "okay" way to escape bad feelings, boredom, identity loss).

Don't stop if you are severely depressed (i.e. suicide thoughts). If that's the case the first step is to find a psychiatrist and then a therapist while keeping this band-aid of gaming until you are better. If that is not the case I would advise you to go for it and quit for the 90 detox days. They will seem long, but afterwards you can really reconsider if you were better off, as you still gamed. For me personally it made a world of difference (even if I had a relapse lately and restarted today my detox).

Also try not to fall for the sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much time you spent in gaming. The decision against does not depend on how much you already gamed. It only matters if this is the right thing for you.

Best wishes,
Mario

• Like 2
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, you should understand what you really want to do. People often quit gaming because others say it is not normal. But in general, gaming is the same as playing chess with a friend. In general, it can be a hobby. If gaming ruins your life and you can't concentrate on more important things for yourself, you should quit it without any doubt. But if gaming brings you a dose of pleasure every day and helps you relax and forget about problems, then play it. Everything is up to you. See what is good and what is bad, and choose the best option. Personally, I play joker123 for many years, and I never had problems with this game.

Edited by Christoferfer

I think YES. 
BUT if you gonna replace it with something more valuable or not? Are you just gonna replace it with netflix? If so I think than it is not worth. Btw you can play with moderation too. Cam did made a video with a guy, the guy plays less than 10 hour in a month. So you can do as well. Just ask yourself what you gonna do? If you ask me it is not just gaming lots of people spend their life with things that unworthy. You know TV, netflix movies, tiktok, youtube exc I think they all bad, not just gaming. I think unproductive things shouldn't be ones main source of enjoyment. That is the main problem. If you change it and focus something productive than you can play too with moderation. 

I think you can use this tool. And find new things to replace unproductive things. But only if YOU want it. I think you want it.
https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 5:50 AM, POGtrick said:

Not sure what to do I'm a completionist, I like to earn all the trophies in the games I play. However I don't enjoy it as much anymore but still want to do it on the side.

Calisthenics / Bodybuilding / Strength Training instantly became a favorite you can literally do calisthenics anywhere with no money.

• Like 1