NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Moving away from games.

TwiddlyWurt

• TwiddlyWurt changed the title to Moving away from games.

Already want to chill and watch some gaming videos.
The heads of the hydra are many.

The pain of the sacrifice is being felt.

A large part of me, will die.

It is necessary, the rotten flesh must be burned off.

Why must it feel so empty, though.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, I always find that people who are undertaking the self accountability approach have more guts than people who rely on illusory hopes.

Can you please share more about your work/field of research and interests?

Edited by Amphibian220

Hey @TwiddlyWurt 

I wish you luck on your journey to live a life without games! Relating to what Amphibian asked, figuring out and writing down what goals you have and what hobbies you want to pursue, will help the want to watch gaming videos. A good place to start if you're struggling on finding hobbies is the 60+ Hobby Ideas pdf right here on Game Quitters. Another good resource is the Wikipedia list of hobbies: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

I would love to hear if you found anything you're interested in.

Best 

Jason 

• Like 1

Deletion(0)

The Old God attacked ferociously, pinning me to the ground. I would go nowhere, they would make sure of it

They promised me many things. Empty things. Beautiful things. I found it hard to resist.

The hallow things rang empty, the deception laid bare. What connections existed were but an illusion, one gleefully pacted under the Old Gods watchful glare.

I will not falter. I am done regretting all my failed fights against this Old One, for they are old and masterful in their ways. 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, however long it takes, will I strike out against the illusions of the Old One.

The Old God Must Die

The deletions have begun anew. I will be here more often, counting down the days, for within  a month.

@Jason70@Amphibian220

My careers is IT based. My interests pretty much don't exists.

I do believe I would do well in a place where I could just discuss issues more freely. Right now I don't feel like I can express my opinions to anyone on, well anything. I really just don't have people to talk to. I'm afraid I've become quiet droll without any experiences, or new bits of knowledge to reference in conversation.

Socialite Status Level : 0

• Like 1

you can express your emotions to yourself in your diary and try new approaches. This works to great effect if you are tracking key issues like emotions, reactions to emotions, strengths, weaknesses etc.

If you failed to quit in your previous attempts, why do you think that was? What are you going to address this time around to create more pressure to achieve this feat?

• Like 1

Sorry you relapsed...that's never fun, but it's a thing to learn from. As Amphibian said you can learn what to differently this time. You said your career was IT based, are there any goals you can reach within that? If so, what steps do you need to take to reach that level? Having goals, even if it's in your career will keep you preoccupied so you're less likely to game. 

Best of luck on journaling your emotions again

Jason

• Like 2

Deletion(2)

Yeah, I have some major career goals to pull off. Will have to move to a new place if I pull it off. So it's a pretty big one. Still, the sheer weight of pressure doesn't do much for my focus frankly. The habits I'm trying to pick up to adapt to the pressure, are where the gold is at. Figuring them out is challenging, though.

I do need something to fill that fantasy/psychological/story/gamey world that I'm cutting off. There's so much cool stuff in the story telling and aesthetic of a lot of the games. I mean, think of cosplay, philosophy, all sorts of things. Gaming is a world where so much comes together. But it comes packaged in a Skinners Box that traps people in an endless loop of lever pushing/pulling. It's tragic really.

In a way, I'm in awe of the power gaming has had over me. In another way, the whole thing seems tragic in a way that I can't really define. I can't clearly morally condemn gaming and I can't just condone it either.

Some games seem much more content rich and less of a Skinners Box.

I can't go back though. The appeal of that box, is just too much.

I just don't know what exists to replace it, for all the replacements are so different in character that I wonder if they are even replacements to begin with. And does that mean, that I'm killing something of value in my life. What am I sacrificing really?

I think if I answer that question, maybe I can figure out a better answer.

Deletion(4)

Well, feeling a lot more grounded today. A lot of QA testing. I like the role because it allows me to think about the proper design of things, thought sometimes it feels like it takes too long. So far so good on the not gaming thing.

Also, I performed my first Lache today. Woo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Deletion(25)

Jeez, this is hard. Soon Steam will be no more.

Console started taking up time though so this isn't a pure gamequit situation. Still,  reversing the enmeshment between gaming and the PC will make computer work easier. I hope.

• Like 2