NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Gaming Relapse Doesn't Scare Me...

It's endless web browsing, reddit, youtube, and social media scrolling that terrify me.

It almost feels like I'm a balloon. I squeeze on one end of my vices, and the other grows proportionately. If I get the slightest bit uncomfortable or frustrated with a task, I put on Netflix or Hulu, or Prime video. Feels like I always have to have a podcast or long form youtube video or SOMETHING going on in the background.

How have you guys dealt with this?

Edited by OptimisticMalcontent
  • Like 1

I have the exact same Problem. Whenever I have to study for a test,  or something  overwhelms me, I watch youtube videos or browse reddit to cope with that stress. In the end I have so much stress that I have to learn the day before / often until after midnight. Entertainment is just way to good at turning your brain turn off. Having this constant entertainment also prevented me from trying  new things, since they seem boring at first.

Anyways I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue. What helped me was to change what I used social media for- on Instagram, I unfollowed all the "fun" accounts, and instead began following topics focused on real-world issues, like climate change and prison reforms. On youtube, I deleted and turned off search/view history, and would only follow my favorite musicians and art tutorial channels. But for twitter and reddit, I simply deleted my accounts as the feed for those is more unpredictable, uncontrollable, and addictive. I also quit all of my Discord servers besides the ones that had only real-world value, like my Art Club. 

Basically, all of this helped because instead of using social media as a tool for escapism, I instead would reconnect with different parts of real world through it. Watching Environmental Documentaries on Netflix, Political and Social stand-up Comedy on Prime, etc., has helped me tremendously to get out of the "feel stress- escape reality" loop, and contributed to learning and developing valuable habits and hobbies. 

Hope this helps!

Po

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Julon said:

I have the exact same Problem. Whenever I have to study for a test,  or something  overwhelms me, I watch youtube videos or browse reddit to cope with that stress. In the end I have so much stress that I have to learn the day before / often until after midnight. Entertainment is just way to good at turning your brain turn off. Having this constant entertainment also prevented me from trying  new things, since they seem boring at first.

Anyways I wish you good luck.

Thanks for chiming in. Feels good to know that I'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, Pochatok said:

I had a similar issue. What helped me was to change what I used social media for- on Instagram, I unfollowed all the "fun" accounts, and instead began following topics focused on real-world issues, like climate change and prison reforms. On youtube, I deleted and turned off search/view history, and would only follow my favorite musicians and art tutorial channels. But for twitter and reddit, I simply deleted my accounts as the feed for those is more unpredictable, uncontrollable, and addictive. I also quit all of my Discord servers besides the ones that had only real-world value, like my Art Club. 

Basically, all of this helped because instead of using social media as a tool for escapism, I instead would reconnect with different parts of real world through it. Watching Environmental Documentaries on Netflix, Political and Social stand-up Comedy on Prime, etc., has helped me tremendously to get out of the "feel stress- escape reality" loop, and contributed to learning and developing valuable habits and hobbies. 

Hope this helps!

Po

Thank you, that really helps. You went into how you use these platforms to benefit you and connect you to the real world. Could you tell me more about how you control your use of tech for entertainment?

• Like 1

There are a few things! 

For my Samsung Phone, I installed stay focused (later bought the premium version for the password feature which has been super helpful!). For my iPad, I used Screen Time and had my partner set up a password. Works very well. For my computer, I have ColdTurkey- it blocks websites fairly well in the free version. Additionally, I uninstalled all social media that was not good for me- facebook and reddit, as well as twitter left my phone and iPad, while uninstalling steam (you can deactivate/give your account away if you're feeling nice) from my PC helped my gaming urges. 

In general though, all of these apps are possible to override/turn off if your urges are strong enough. Try to take your time to discover things you enjoy doing, and pay attention to when your addictive urges appear. For me, I tend to want to play games whenever I am stressed out, so I've began trying to predict when I will have a lot of stress, and plan out my actions when that stress arrives- instead of playing games, I go to this forum, watch art tutorials, or exercise/go for a walk. 

None of these were immediate solutions for me, I struggled a full month before turning them into routine/habits. Might be longer/shorter for you, who knows! But I believe that some of these should work for sure.

Po

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:41 PM, Pochatok said:

There are a few things! 

For my Samsung Phone, I installed stay focused (later bought the premium version for the password feature which has been super helpful!). For my iPad, I used Screen Time and had my partner set up a password. Works very well. For my computer, I have ColdTurkey- it blocks websites fairly well in the free version. Additionally, I uninstalled all social media that was not good for me- facebook and reddit, as well as twitter left my phone and iPad, while uninstalling steam (you can deactivate/give your account away if you're feeling nice) from my PC helped my gaming urges. 

In general though, all of these apps are possible to override/turn off if your urges are strong enough. Try to take your time to discover things you enjoy doing, and pay attention to when your addictive urges appear. For me, I tend to want to play games whenever I am stressed out, so I've began trying to predict when I will have a lot of stress, and plan out my actions when that stress arrives- instead of playing games, I go to this forum, watch art tutorials, or exercise/go for a walk. 

None of these were immediate solutions for me, I struggled a full month before turning them into routine/habits. Might be longer/shorter for you, who knows! But I believe that some of these should work for sure.

Po

Thank you for sharing those insights. That'll probably save me a lot of trial and error.

9 hours ago, Massron said:

Oh man, I understand you so much!

Thanks for chiming in!