NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

What do you guys do when you are already done with your duties (eg: homework)?

Notusingrealname

I decided to try not playing video games for a while just to see whether or not it has an impact in my life. What i noticed is that it is almost impossible to keep away from the games on days where i don't have many activities to do such as sundays, where i just finish whathever assignments i decided to do for the day. My city kinda sucks and i don't really have the kind of friends where i can try and get people to hang out  at say the mall.Though i kinda want to see what having a romantic relationship feels like, i just don't go to enough places where someone could notice me  in that way. I like reading but i already read so much for studying that i'm used to reading huge chunks of material at a time and end up finishing books pretty fast ( ngl getting lost in a good book is awesome).

The answer to your question is to take action.

Are you done with your assignments for the day too early? Think of the other stuff you can do and do it. Watch a film, play chess, do archery... whatever! Sometimes it's not a bad idea to just lounge about for half a day and do nothing in particular, as long as you don't do it every day.

Friends are not organizing anything? Organize something yourself and invite them! It can be a BBQ, playing golf, going for a run... again, it's up to you.

Want to have more relationship experience? Go somewhere, have fun, be yourself and talk to women who you'd like to date with in a way to let them know that you are interested them. Is that too daunting? Are you afraid of rejection? No problem; just walk around the city, make eye contact with strangers and smile. Some will reciprocate, some won't. You can work yourself up from there.

• Like 3

I have a habit tracker and when I'm bored I check things off the tracker. For instance yesterday (Sunday) I was able to do them all: mindfulness, practice ukulele, eat leafy greens, exercise, journal, read, and study for my upcoming exam.

You could also around-the-house projects, talk to friends, clean, try a new hobby. Reading is awesome, I also love getting lost in a good book.

This is not for everyone but I have found Tabletop Simulator EXTREMELY helpful during the pandemic. It allows me to play "board games" with friends when I otherwise wouldn't be able to. The downside is it requires having Steam installed and it is technically a video game. I discount it because it's a video game that literally simulates board games, but you will have to decide for yourself. If having Steam installed will make playing other games too tempting, DON'T DO IT. But yea, my buddies and I have a group text and when I'm bored I just text and see who is down for a board game, and usually someone is. It's really nice.

If it's nice outside you could go for a bike ride or learn to rollerblade, I have found slalom rollerblading is extremely challenging and therefore extremely fun and engaging (for me). https://youtu.be/djvtcB6aHq8?t=31 (turn the volume down, it's pretty loud)

• Like 1

I use substitute addictions.

Healthy? No. Truthful? Yes. We all find ourselves acting like this sometimes on the path of recovery.

Instead of playing games, I would binge internet browsing: reading articles, webcomics and memes.
When I limit my computer time, I default to addiction #3: compulsive masturbating.
When I get tired of that I go to sleep.

Freedom from games gives me about 40 hours of free time every week. Gives me enough time to exercise with my folks in the morning - way better than when we just lived in the same house and did nothing together as a family. I also clean my room slightly more often and cook slightly more often. I'm more aware of my habit patterns and have been journaling about them more often. I keep a public journal on GQ and a private journal. I also have more time to write and play the piano. Sunbathing is nice too. Just got to wait for noon when the sun reaches through my window and shines right on my bed. Vitamin D helps against Covid-19 and other stuff.

From time to time, I play with lego or transformers. I make them move like characters from a video game.

Quitting video games might make you fall back on a substitute addiction. That's a common thing that happens on the path of recovery.

• Like 2

I get addicted to other things like Lego or digging in my yard or whatever that's available for me.

Usually when I am done with my homework I play Legos and make short films with them. I also sometimes invest my virtual money into stocks in my virtual stocks game because I don't have real money and I'm still in school. I also like to draw and play piano when I have the time to and also exercise like running or HIIT.

• Like 1

Yeah, filling free time with meaningful activities really helps. Here's a few things I've tried over time. Ideally, they are social and can be done any day:

- Brazilian jiu-jitsu (had to stop because of annoying injuries from before I had started)--easily my favorite.

-Working out

-Golf

-Cooking (not social, but it can take up as much time as you want)

-Salsa dancing

-Meditation

-Reading

What kind of things are you interested in @Notusingrealname?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaBest said:

Yeah, filling free time with meaningful activities really helps. Here's a few things I've tried over time. Ideally, they are social and can be done any day:

- Brazilian jiu-jitsu (had to stop because of annoying injuries from before I had started)--easily my favorite.

-Working out

-Golf

-Cooking (not social, but it can take up as much time as you want)

-Salsa dancing

-Meditation

-Reading

What kind of things are you interested in @Notusingrealname?

I do practice muay thay and work out at the gym a combined total of 6times a week. The place where i live in kinda sucks there's nothing but drugstores, supermarkets and restaurants/bars nearby (it's like in the middle of a city). I like reading and origami and end up having to cook my own food regardless of whether i like it or not so i can maintain my diet( in fact, video games were kind of a way to help prevent me from being like "i'm bored let's get a pizza"). There is a guitar available where i live that i could try to learn with but i have no idea how would i get started learning music especially since pandemic is still a thing where i live so it would be risky to look for classes. I also generally enjoy anime and some netflix/youtube shows.

EDIT: I decided that i will try to learn how to make sick spaghetti sauces on my spare time

Edited by Notusingrealname
  • Like 2

Muay thay? Mad respect--you dudes are tough as nails. 

You honestly have a pretty awesome list of stuff. Cooking is great. If you really wanted to get into it you could start hosting dinner parties or start a YouTube channel. 

As far as guitar is concerned, if you're really interested, it's definitely something you can learn solo. My cousin is entirely self-taught, there are tons of pros that are entirely self-taught, and I kinda self-taught myself before I gave up on barre chords (maybe I could've used a lesson, lol). There's lots of good resources on the internet, and I'm sure there are people on Fiverr or something like that that offer personalized cheap lessons, if you really wanted to. 

Good stuff, keep it going!

• Like 1