NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Taking my first big, scary step into quitting video games.

Twin

Full disclosure, I'm not sure if I want to quit video games forever. What I do know is that the coding bootcamp I'm in starts up again in two days, and I almost flunked out last time partially because instead of studying for 4 hours a day, i was gaming for probably 8 hours a day or more. Luckily, they gave me a second chance and switched me to the cohort that starts this month. i knew this over a month in advance but unfortunately did not take advantage of the extra study time, instead I just played video games all day. My goal is to land a job as a web developer and make enough money to move out on my own, which is gonna be a lot as I live in an expensive city. I uninstalled all of my video games, mod managers, etc and my goal is to not play video games until this goal is achieved. Its going to be hard to find activities I can do in place of video games but luckily the respawn book does a really great job at structuring what kind of activities you need to replace games. My ps4 is still underneath my desk so I need to put that in my closet, but I already feel a sense of relief and more control over my time.

• Like 3

Sounds like you have a good game plan. It all sounds great. What city do you live in, by the way? 

Also, in regards to not quitting gaming forever, like mister @Cam Adair says, try the 90 days without it and go from there. Your outlook on wanting to game or not could be totally different than it is today.

I wish you luck on your journey. You're in a good place with lots of resources !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

Sounds like you have a good game plan. It all sounds great. What city do you live in, by the way? 

Also, in regards to not quitting gaming forever, like mister @Cam Adair says, try the 90 days without it and go from there. Your outlook on wanting to game or not could be totally different than it is today.

I wish you luck on your journey. You're in a good place with lots of resources !

I live in nyc, the most expensive borough at that. I'm definitely more focused on the 90 days and generally making sure gaming isn't a problem in my life and in my pursuit of web development. As Dr.K from healthygamer says, if it's causing problems it is a problem. Maybe after the 90 days I'll be able to game more moderately, or maybe i'll have no interest. I'm open to whatever I may feel. But considering the release of cyberpunk in the near future I'd be very surprised if I decide to give up gaming forever haha.

• Like 2

Second the detox. With every day passing I feel less and less excited about games, my mindset is changing by leaps and bounds. At this point, I know that if I decide to play a game again I can moderate easily, but at the same time I no longer see a reason to play: there are so many more meaningful things to do.

Good luck on your journey, don't stop until you hit 90 days!