NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Trying to curb it before it gets out of hand...

FDRx7

Hi everyone!

I'm FDRx7 from the United States. I used to game a lot when I was younger but when I went to college, I ultimately stopped. I don't know if it was just being busy or what, but I didn't touch a console (save for a quick game at a friend's place or something) or PC game for probably 7 years. Then, last year I started a two-year graduate program. I have a few close friends in the program and one of them convinced me to download the Halo Master Chief collection for PC (I had never PC gamed before). I enjoyed it and played through the campaign, reminiscing about my middle and high school years playing with friends. Ultimately, I didn't stay with it because I wasn't very good and didn't want to invest the time. I did however download some more games on my PC and played them, but not quite to the point of addiction. Some of these games were purchased because my friend would say, "Download it and we can play together!" It frustrates me now thinking back because he would have me do that, we would play together literally a few times and then he would move on to a different game. So, I was left with a game I likely wouldn't play on my own and out ~$20 each time.

The problem really set in just recently. I wasn't doing an awful lot of gaming, just here and there. Then, another friend of mine told me I should join him and some other friends on a Minecraft server. I figured this would be a good game for me to play in between study breaks as a reward. I used to play the game a while back when in high school. It was fun to get back into it at first and I enjoyed staying connected to my friends during lockdown. However, I suddenly found that all I wanted to do was play Minecraft. I was still getting my schoolwork done, but I was starting to neglect all of the goals and personal responsibilities that I had. I was up until this point an active weight lifter, had academic and language goals I was working on in my own time, as well as engaging in leisure activities like reading. Now, all I wanted to do was play Minecraft, whether my friends were online or not. All other activities were becoming dull and boring compared to Minecraft, despite the fact that the game involves so much grinding. 

I have had and still have this problem with watching YouTube as well. It can be easy to get lost when wanting to escape, but then waste a ton of time online. I never thought that I could become addicted to Minecraft or that it would be considered anything remotely close to addictive. I wouldn't say that I am a true addict, but I am seeing warning signs that are alarming to me. I want to make sure that I continue to pursue the things that are most important to me and stop the behaviors that are destructive. I signed up for Respawn not only for the gaming, but to also apply the tricks to YouTube as well. I am happy to be here and looking forward to the journey of getting my life back where I want it to be!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Le North Dreamer said:

Congrats for seing the problem before it became a bigger part of your life, and for taking the right steps to control it! 

Welcome to the community.

Thank you! So far this has been great and I feel like I'm really making progress. YouTube had been a weak point for me as well and I am applying the same game-quitting principles to that and web surfing. 

Hey, on the topic of social media and surfing in general I recommend you replace video games(youtube subscriptions, twitter following, etc.) with some other things you like. For me it was photography, NRP and Audiotree live performances, and art. I still use Instagram and youtube quite often, but it is actually improving my day and fueling passions. 

And yes, congrats on noticing the problem so early, I hope you manage to tune down gaming to where you want it to be!

Cheers, Po

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pochatok said:

Hey, on the topic of social media and surfing in general I recommend you replace video games(youtube subscriptions, twitter following, etc.) with some other things you like. For me it was photography, NRP and Audiotree live performances, and art. I still use Instagram and youtube quite often, but it is actually improving my day and fueling passions. 

And yes, congrats on noticing the problem so early, I hope you manage to tune down gaming to where you want it to be!

Cheers, Po

Thank you! Yes, I currently have YouTube blocked on my phone and can only access it through my browser for 1 hour a day (using Cold Turkey which I LOVE). This makes it so that I need to be conscious of what I spend that hour on. If I use it for just messing around on YouTube, then I can't do anything education with it. It really helps to have this budgeted time (many days I don't even use the budgeted time; I try to treat it as something like you said that will enhance the things I'm doing in my life).

• Like 1