NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

A Balanced Life

Cycologist

On 12/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, Tr1v said:

The self-inflicted pain of thinking about the workout far exceeds the actual pain of the workout.  The side effect of endorphins that follow an active workout make regular exercise a relatively painless experience that results in a net gain almost every time

Yup, happens in my thoughts too about not wanting to work out. Glad you noticed this and I hope you are able to keep a consistent record of working out.

Best 

Jason 

• Like 1

Day 26 : I've noticed how often I daydream/ruminate on certain things.  Not sure if this is a side-effect of quitting.  Maybe my brain is still craving that stimulation.  I've been daydreaming my entire life.  Now, I'm starting to notice it more.

Edited by Tr1v

Day 28:  After getting a good night's sleep, I can report that the daydreams were probably my body's way of saying, "You're tired".  I woke up a few minutes prior to my alarm (5:30) and actually got up and out.  After some coffee (not as much as yesterday), I hopped on the bike for about 30 minutes.  Had some breakfast and took care of the little one until my wife woke up.  Handled shit.  My plan for the day is to complete at least 8 pomodoros of online tutorials and practice.  Self-esteem is up today.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Day 30 : It's been 30 days since I quit playing video games.  Coincidentally, a gamer friend I haven't spoken to since I quit texted me this morning regarding a new patch / new content.  He asked if I was planning to return and I told him I was accomplishing so much more at home since I left.  I was able to stave off the urge to check the patch notes / new content.  I refocused and jumped on the bike to hit a personal record - an actual non-gaming achievement.  Here's to another 30 days of not gaming!  Let's make real achievements, people!

Edited by Tr1v
  • Like 1

It seems like every Sunday night I get the worst sleep.  By Friday, the work anxiety seems to dissipate.  By Friday, I am reminded that I am not the terrible, weak, incapable programmer that I tell myself I am on Monday morning.  Gaming was my replacement for the creativity, achievement, and flow I sought after in my work.  By continuing to deliberately practice my craft, I can get closer to the ideal workday.  One that involves flow-state coding, problem-solving breakthroughs, and consistent productivity developing complex applications.   

Edited by Tr1v
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, Tr1v said:

It's been 30 days since I quit playing video games.  Coincidentally, a gamer friend I haven't spoken to since I quit texted me this morning regarding a new patch / new content.  He asked if I was planning to return and I told him I was accomplishing so much more at home since I left. 

Life sometimes does that: after a number of days building a habit has passed, it sends an 'event' your way to challenge you. Simulation theory.

• Like 1

• Cycologist changed the title to A Balanced Life

On Day 40, I was creative.  Felt pretty good afterward.  I followed up with an easy bike ride.  Looking forward to crushing it early tomorrow.  In preperation I will : set some alarms, arrange breakfast, and have my coffee ready.  Tomorrow will be a mentally taxing day.  I can

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...