NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello to all

Moonlight

Hello I'm new here and just started to quit video games.

Im momentarily feeling a lot anxious about my future with quitting games since they were always part of my life. But almost everybody I told that I'm gonna quit reacted confused. It seems like they don't agree in the benefits of quitting games.

Does anybody have some thoughts about being anxious all the time?

I could use some tips right now xD

Greetings,

Moonlight

• Like 1

Hey @Moonlight, since you just started quitting I can only say that your anxiousness is fairly natural. You will likely find that you feel like that for a while. It's makes sense as you are giving up something that has been with you for a very long time. Obviously, you don't view video games as beneficial to you anymore or you wouldn't be here. 

The best advice I can give you is to go easy on yourself. Allow yourself to feel however you are going to feel over the next month or two and just try to be okay with it. Do whatever you want or don't do anything at all. Whatever you feel or don't feel like doing, do that. 

I know that wasn't super helpful but the beginning stages of quitting can be a tough time. Also, when it comes to friends not getting it, I can totally relate. I'm sure most of us here can. Some people just don't get addicted to video games. Some people aren't aware that they are. Whatever the case may be, you'll just have to accept that people might not get it. Understand that you are in the right place to be understood in this particular subject. 

All the best! 

• Like 2

Hey Moonlight,

Welcome to the community. I struggled with a bit of anxiety and sadness in the first couple of days of detox, especially when I was giving away all my accounts and passwords, letting clan members know that I was quitting (basically saying goodbye), etc. These are completely normal feelings that you have to accept and live through. Just keep at it, it ends up going away (sooner or later depending on your personality - I'm 18 days into the detox and feeling great at this time).

As for others' reaction, I guess confusion can be part of it as they know you as an enthusiast gamer. My family and friends reacted quite well to my choice. My GF was the one who suprised me the most by hinting that I did not really have to do this (quitting), and could focus on reducing instead of quitting. I simply explained to her the deeper motives and she fully supports my choice. So clearly explaining why you are doing this should help to mitigate reactions around you.

Godspeed on your new journey and may the force be with us! 

Edited by Le North Dreamer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 12:18 AM, Le North Dreamer said:

My GF was the one who suprised me the most by hitting that I did not really have to do this (quitting), and could focus on reducing instead of quitting

Haha, totally the same case! My GF actually encouraged me to keep gaming for awhile until I explained what "addiction" really means in my case.

@MoonlightI recommend very much that you start a daily journal on here. It is a good way to self-reflect, to develop a continuous habit, and to keep everyone else in this community updated on how you are doing. Seeing more of who you are and what you do would help others give you more specific, personal, and valuable advice. 

I believe that most of the people you talked to disagree not only because they don't see the benefits, but also because they don't see the harm. A lot of people don't see gaming as "addictive" or harmful, similarly to how mental illnesses were not treated seriously just a couple centuries ago. But, gaming is harmful, and quitting it will not only improve your own life, but the life of people around you, as all the time you spend playing now will be spent doing something goooood. 

Hope to hear more from you soon,

Po

• Like 2

Spot on, Po!

@Moonlight, I would add the following, and you may already know this: it may sound rude, but sometimes you have to limit the amount of f*cks you give about other people's opinion, even the ones close to you. I know there are some books out there on this subject, but at the end of the day, you know what's best for you more than anyone else and not giving a f*ck about what others think can be quite uplifting.

Looking forward to hear more from you. I just reached the 30 days' mark in my detox and feel great about it - hoping its the same for you! 

Edited by Le North Dreamer
  • Like 4