NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Alex's Journal

Alejandro

Day 20:

Picked up my Safety Standards Certificate for my car which feels good to get done. ( this had been a lengthy process of getting multiple repairs done ) 

Did some groceries 

Walked to the gym for my workout

Watched some netflix in the evening + went to bed early

Thankful for: music

Alex

Day 21:

Happy 3 weeks, me!

Did a crossword, did some laundry, cleaned my car (prep for getting it detailed next week) , caught up on some journaling, went to the store, rolled some old coins I had accumulated over the past few years... I ended up having ~$45 worth so that's pretty sweet. I played a few card games after dinner with my folks, then watched some Trailer Park Boys.

Thankful for: Comfy clothes

• Like 1

Day 22:

Went to the government office to update some documentation on my car as well as pick up new license plates

Submitted some online documents for a possible future work venture

Caught up on some journaling

Watched some golf (it's day 1 of the Masters - the biggest golf tourney of the year. Very exciting. For real.)

Worked out in my basement because the gym was booked full today

Watched a talkshow I enjoy

Thankful for: my car

Alex

Day 23:

Did a crossword

Watched some golf

Did some Uber Eats deliveries

Did my physio exercises 

Went on a DATE! We went for a run as we are both fit, active people. It went quite well. We verbally agreed on a second date so we'll see what happens. I'm pleased with myself for going on a date - something I haven't done in a long time. Regardless of what happens with this female, it was reassuring to me that I can still carry myself and navigate situations like these. 

Did some more Uber Eats deliveries 

Came home and wound down with a few youtube videos

Thankful for: Clean water

Day 25:

Slept in for the first time in a long time! Felt great

Watched the rest of the Masters (Dustin Johnson put on a clinic - he is so unwavering and dominant when he is in his peak form)

Did some laundry

Did my physio exercises

Did a bit of cleaning

Worked out in my basement since the gym was booked

Delivered Uber Eats for a 3-4 hours

Watched some youtube and hit the sack

Thankful for: My new shoes

Day 27:

Met with my dad for lunch

Watched a few shows

Went on date #2 with a girl. So far, so good. To anyone reading - I am open to third date suggestions !

A few youtube videos to wind down in the PM

Thankful for: My mom and stepdad

Alex

Day 28:  [Happy 4 weeks, me!]

Moved a few more things 

Did some Uber Eats deliveries... The app ended up not working for a few hours which was a bit of a stressor / inconvenience but eventually got sorted.

Watched a few shows

Did a workout

Did some more Uber Eats deliveries

Ate + watched a few videos before bed

Thankful for: My friend Martin

Day 29:

Moved a few more things

Went to the gym... New COVID restrictions are annoying AF... basically half the space / machines have been shut down, making it very hard to use what you want and navigate through your workout smoothly. 

Did my physio exercises

Did more Uber Eats deliveries

Watched a few shows + finished my journal

Thankful for: Trance music

• Like 1

Day 30:

WOW! 30 DAYS! THIS THING IS SO HEAVY! THERE'S SO MANY PEOPLE TO THANK AND I DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING DOWN!

Wow. Where did the time go? It feels like just yesterday it was day 1 and I was looking up at my ceiling pondering my near future. I'm going to switch up the style of my journal today. Here are my accomplishments/takeaways from just 1 month into this journey:

Firstly, I cut out a few things / detached myself from a few things at the start of my journey that have definitely eased the process :

• Coffee - I was abusing coffee and had been for a while. It wasn't as bad as it could have been (I was drinking approx. 3 very strong large cups a day, sometimes drinking it in the evenings for the sole purpose of staying up late to either game or watch gaming related content) so I quit cold turkey. I actually quit coffee 3-4 days before I stopped gaming, but they have coincided very nicely.
  • I deleted all of my social media apps - Far too often I was glancing at notifications on my phone that were simply bullshit. I would glance at a snap or a message from a group chat and then just put my phone down. The thing was, these messages and snapchats were doing NOTHING FOR ME. I had no emotional attachment to them. They were coming from friends that 99% of the time were saying/posting things that were meaningless. I was being notified of things that were of no note. This leads me into my next point...
  • I stopped communicating with/seeing negative people in my life - Most of my connections are friends I game with - so once my gaming stopped, I had no communication with a lot of them. A handful of them were negative people, and they possessed qualities that I detested. But since there is comfort in familiarity, regardless of how painful that familiarity is, I had these gaming friends in my life for years on end. Now that I've stopped gaming, I feel free from their clutches, so to speak. I am now very selective about who I spend my time with. I am an introvert by nature so I tend to be very greedy with my time, but without gaming I now have no excuse for being among negative Nancies.
  • Staying up late - I was staying up until 3, 4, 5, sometimes 6 in the morning with my gaming-related endeavors. This led to sleeping in until usually ~noon. Now I go to bed around 12 or 1, and wake up at around 8. I find it so much easier to sleep/wake up without the stimulation duo of gaming/coffee. It feels a lot more natural this way and I'm actually able to get shit done during the day.

As for my accomplishments, here are a few things I've been able to achieve over my 30 days:

1. Fixing up my car - I was putting this off all summer long so I finally did it. I poured a good amount of money into it to do so, but I now use it to deliver Uber Eats and make money off it that way.
  2. A better eating pattern - I now eat a proper amount of food and in healthy increments. When I was gaming, I would go hours and hours without a meal, and eventually at the end of the night just order food. This led to over indulging at the end of the night (this also probably was a factor in hurting my sleep) and then rinsing and repeating this cycle.
  3. I'm taking better care of my body (physically) - I am working out in a more measured manner, and am attending physiotherapy sessions for my injured shoulder. I also am stretching more and am running again. I'm not where I want to be in terms of physical health (I also have a bad quad and a bad ankle) but I'm devoting this time to nurse these injuries properly. I want to I live a life where these injuries do not hold me back from exercising, as exercise is one of my true loves !
  4. I am a cleaner person - I clean up after myself, I do laundry when I need to, my room is tidy, and I am a lot more organized. When I was gaming, I would brush a lot of these things off until half my bedroom floor was littered with clothes, and my gaming station would have a buildup of 1 week's worth of dirty dishes on it.
  5. I bought a hot yoga pass - I am keen on getting back into hot yoga, however COVID has made it very challenging with limited class sizes, having to book sessions, etc. I'm booked to go on Monday and hopefully I'm able to get in semi regularly ! I loved it when I did it before and I want to rekindle this love !
  6. I read books again - I am reading books again ! I don't NEED to be stimulated from gaming all day, so simpler, more thoughtful activities like reading are actually very enjoyable. Currently reading the Hobbit, and I just purchased 'Beyond Band of Brothers' a memoir by major Dick Winters. 
  7. I connect deeper with people - Without having the nagging urge to go and game, and the skeleton in my closet of having such an addiction, I've found that conversations and interactions are a lot more pure and genuine. 
  8. I've been going on dates - This is something I haven't done in ages. It not only is a good challenge for myself, but it is something that I actually enjoy. I want to be done with the hookup culture I've engaged in in the past and am now wanting to experience something more meaningful. That being said, I am going on date #3 tonight (saturday) with a girl I've enjoyed getting to know. Getting this far in the dating realm is foreign territory to me but I am having fun with it and am remaining curious.

Sorry for the long post, and I'm sure I'm leaving out a few points, but thank you to all that have been with me thus far. I will keep on keeping on and I hope you all are being kind to yourself, and are enjoying your own journeys. 

Today I'm thankful for: Chillstep music

Alex

Hey, congrats on day 30! It is both impressive and motivating to see how much you've changed and accomplished over just a month 😆

Best of luck with everything, especially physical health and exploring the foreign realms of dating lol. Hope it lasts as long as you and your partner want it to 🙂

• Like 1

Day 31:

Got my car detailed 

Did some painting for my parents

Did my physio exercises

Went on a third date with a girl - we ended up doing an escape room. I had never tried one before and it was quite fun !

Thankful for: Warm beverages

Day 32:

A lazy, restful (I suppose) day.

I came to grips with the fact that the 3 dates I went on with said female would not progress to anything further. I was definitely more keen than she was to keep seeing each other so there was a bit of a sting! I tell myself time and time again that I will avoid this pattern, however it seems to find me eventually. The first part of my day today wasn't the most productive and I was quite honestly ruminative and mopey. I was, however, able to shake this about halfway through the day with some insightful videos. They sparked my thinking to shift a bit, and I then proceeded with a home workout. The weather was too choppy(very snowy and my winter tires aren't on yet) today to deliver Uber Eats so I spent the whole day in the house. A ton of thinking was done - some positive, some negative, but this is the ebb and flow for me. It was just more accented today. Looking forward to tomorrow !

Thankful for: Physiotherapy

Alex

Sounds like you are doing good, keep it up!

On 11/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, Alejandro said:

Went to hot yoga for the first time in a few years. I was reminded of how beneficial it is, and the euphoric feeling after a class.

I totally agree with this! Yoga is so beneficial and relaxing. Which is why i want to get back into it.

• Like 1