NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How long did withdrawals last for you?

Alagos

Just wondering, tbh my longest streak so far was only like 2.5 weeks, but then I fell into a trap of thinking "oh i will just play a low stress casual game" but it is a TRAP and it sucked me into full on addiction again!! Learned my lesson, going for zero video games for 90 days. Before I was planning to take a break from quitting and play cyberpunk next month, but even though I been very excited for that game, i said F it, curing my health problems is more important and there is no doubt video games are one of the biggest factors that got me in this mess.

Im on day 2 now, getting  horrible withdrawals, irritibility, depression, fatigue - I feel awful. The last time I went back to games I was feeling just like this and then I saw as soon as I played games I felt better, but its A TRAP!!! NO doubt my subconcious is trying to trick me into playing games again. the withdrawals get worse and worse for me each day, eventually it gets to a point where I feel like my brain is going to implode and I will just disappear, and it is very very painful and uncomfortable, but I can see I have no choice and I have to see this through....THIS IS THE WAY!!!

Edited by Alagos

It depends on how much time you played video games a day.
It also depends on how centered you where about videogames.

When I did play hardcore it took arround 3 Months (see Cams 90 day detox or search the forums here for more information) to completeley forget video games.

The detox period also depends on your hobbys and activities you can follow, to forget videogaming.

All in all there is no world formula. Since we are all different. Also you should search for the relapse topics, I think they have usefull information for you.

In my experience with nicotine and video game addiction, withdrawal symptoms last between one and two months. For me, the first three weeks were the worst. I was in the same situation as you. Irritability, depression, tired all the time. I think the trick is (at least for the first month or so) is to go extremely easy on yourself. Accept that you are going to feel these emotions and physical symptoms. Do whatever you want to do (obviously within reason) during this time that isn't playing video games. If you want to sleep then sleep. If you're feeling angry let it out. (Just don't take it out on other people). If you're sad be sad. Just don't beat yourself up about how you are feeling. Acknowledge that these are indeed withdrawal symptoms and will pass with time. 

Take on new hobbies. If you can't think of anything you REALLY want to do just try anything. Just do something, anything to keep your mind occupied and alert. If there is something you've always wanted to try/learn now is the time. When you don't have the mental energy to do that, do something else. Just don't play video games. Your mind will play all sorts of tricks on you to get you back into the dopamine cycle. If you give yourself enough time I believe you will find that new activities and ways of thinking will take over and you'll find your brain trying less and less to get you back to playing video games. 

This is indeed the way. 

Keep it up. Stay focused and allow yourself time to change. It will come and you will be so much better for it. 

3 hours ago, MuMuMelon said:

In my experience with nicotine and video game addiction, withdrawal symptoms last between one and two months. For me, the first three weeks were the worst. I was in the same situation as you. Irritability, depression, tired all the time. I think the trick is (at least for the first month or so) is to go extremely easy on yourself. Accept that you are going to feel these emotions and physical symptoms. Do whatever you want to do (obviously within reason) during this time that isn't playing video games. If you want to sleep then sleep. If you're feeling angry let it out. (Just don't take it out on other people). If you're sad be sad. Just don't beat yourself up about how you are feeling. Acknowledge that these are indeed withdrawal symptoms and will pass with time. 

Take on new hobbies. If you can't think of anything you REALLY want to do just try anything. Just do something, anything to keep your mind occupied and alert. If there is something you've always wanted to try/learn now is the time. When you don't have the mental energy to do that, do something else. Just don't play video games. Your mind will play all sorts of tricks on you to get you back into the dopamine cycle. If you give yourself enough time I believe you will find that new activities and ways of thinking will take over and you'll find your brain trying less and less to get you back to playing video games. 

This is indeed the way. 

Keep it up. Stay focused and allow yourself time to change. It will come and you will be so much better for it. 

I agree thanks! Yeah the first couple days I was G'd up like "Yeah i got this im gonna cure my chronic fatigue by quitting depression" - but yesterday (day 4) I had a full on mental breakdown.

The biggest mistake I made in the past was when I saw that I felt like crap even after quitting, I would go back to playing games thinking "oh i feel like crap anyways, may as well game" but I need to learn to persist and see this through to 90 days for long term results rather than expecting changes within a few days!!! KARMA YOGA  - focusing on actions rather than results!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Withdrawals are easier to deal with if you fill your time with useful tasks.  Do stuff that even barely needs doing.  Once I actually backed the car out of the garage and swept it out.  Yeah it needed doing.  Yeah it was pretty filthy (I live in an area with a lot of dust in the air).  Yeah nobody lives in the garage, and no one is going to thank me.  But ti was something useful and I got it done.

Basically accept ANY challenge to get up off your chair and do anything.  Mow, bring in groceries, run to the store, do laundry, read 1984.  Read the voting crap that came in the mail so you're not voting ignorantly.