NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Pursuing a game-free life by Jani

janppi

My journey towards a life without games and endless procrastination started on September 29th 2020. I was very heavily addicted by League of Legends. 

Step 1 was to admit myself that I have a problem and that I should make it clear to myself, that I just can't play League in moderation. Other games are not as appealing - on the contrary they are usually even boring and feeling mostly waste of time, as my friends do not really play anything else either. This decision will make me lose most of my social contacts, but hey, I can always make new ones!

Days 1 and 2:

Yesterday was the first day of this long journey. The feelings for the day were constantly as if I had left behind some important person in my life or something like that... I felt like missing out on something because I was not gaming. At the same time feelings of hope about the past started to kick in. I was finally doing something about my life. I also spent a lot of time chatting with my gf.

I was and I still am on a bad sleeping rhythm - woke up at 1pm yesterday after falling asleep at 4am. I made food extra-early because of not gaming, and headed for band practice with the guys. It was super fun and productive again!

After the band stuff, I made lyrics for one of our songs. The poem tells about one's passion for performing music or any type of art to an audience. Going to pick up that again today and carry on writing. 

As for today, I managed to fall asleep early with melatonine the night before so even though I woke up at 5am after just 5 hours of sleep, I am not too tired. Probably still going to catch more z's soon. Always feels hard to change the sleeping schedule, but I am sure it's now a lot easier because gaming is not keeping me awake until 3 or 4AM.

Other things to do: Gym with a friend, playing guitar and composing something new maybe... Watching House and eating a lot. 

Eating more is actually one thing that I want to focus on during the detox. I have always been small and I want to work out and eat more so that I can gain a few kilos. Let's see if I can reach a goal here. I am currently 76 kilos. If I can reach 82 kilos, I am happy. 

I am also going to update the level of cravings and trying to evaluate the level of procrastination for the day/days that I go through here. A bigger value means more cravings for gaming or more procrastination on everyday chores and studies.

Cravings: 8/10

Procrastination: 7/10

A good start towards a better life though.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. Good luck on this journey. Don't worry too much about the procrastination issue. A lot of new members here try to jump directly from games to being productive with other hobbies because that initial frustration of feeling unproductive was the impitous to sign up in the first place. Just remember you'll feel exhausted at times after you've quit because your mind is going to be balancing out an imbalanced dopamine and serotonin system. 

Take your time, rest when needed, and attempt these hobbies slowly. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BooksandTrees said:

Welcome to the forums. Good luck on this journey. Don't worry too much about the procrastination issue. A lot of new members here try to jump directly from games to being productive with other hobbies because that initial frustration of feeling unproductive was the impitous to sign up in the first place. Just remember you'll feel exhausted at times after you've quit because your mind is going to be balancing out an imbalanced dopamine and serotonin system. 

Take your time, rest when needed, and attempt these hobbies slowly. 

Hi and thanks for the warm wishes 🙂 I am well aware of the toughness required for this journey since it's my third time already on these forums since 2017 😄 It is very true that the exhaustion is going to kick in in the beginning stages, yet it always gets me off guard. Yikes. 

I have a somewhat addiction prone personality, so it doesn't make things easier. Being aware of things like the dopamine in this case, is really beneficial though, because it makes a rational mind to process things more effectively. It is easier to feel that there is a reason for the addiction and therefore it's also easier to accept it. I just hope the worst part will be over soon.

Really appreciate someone replying, thanks a lot 🙂

-Jani

• Like 1