NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Should I quit listening to Video Game Music as well?

royal panda

Music is music. If it doesn't make you want to play games or think about games I personally believe that it's fine. However, if listening to video games music does make you think about or crave video games then I'd have to say absolutely not. 

Edited by MuMuMelon
  • Like 2

I'm over 500 days into quitting gaming and I listen to soundtracks of games I played (and films I watched) regularly. I mostly listen to chill soothing themes or background tactical music. But that is just my experience.

As @MuMuMelon mentioned above, unless it makes you ruminate for dozens of minutes about how you played this and that level or how your former squad might be doing right now, then it's fine to listen to it. Give it a go a couple of times and see what happens. Most of us here gave quitting gaming a go couple of times too before we eventually kicked it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will bump this because it is a recurring question I have.  I frequently listen to the WoW soundtracks while studying and I believe it is some of the best music ever composed, regardless of the game.  To be honest, I mostly played WoW just to hear the in-game music.  In fact, I loved the music so much that it inspired me to get my Uilleann Pipes (one of the main instruments that plays in Howling Fjord) and learn Irish traditional music.  However, there are occasional feelings of nostalgia that often make it hard to concentrate.

I guess the only consistent answer here is that "it depends" - but hopefully we can do a better job of answering this question.

In my experience, I achieved a small but noticeable freedom after giving up video game music as well. I listened to it for many months after achieving my sobriety, and like others here, I loved the music, and think much of it is phenomenally composed. However, even when listening to music from games I hadn't ever played, it still put me in the orbit of gaming culture again, however weakly. And that led to more moments of discomfort.

If you no longer listen to video game music, if my experience is any testament: know your brain will adapt, just like it did for gaming itself. There is so much good music out there, and you can enjoy it as you do with gaming music. A lot of video game music is great, but exploring new pieces of music and new musicians without this affiliation that can make you feel vulnerable gives you new foundations in life. And in making these new foundations, you have yet again moved on successfully.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I listen to videogame music all the time! I listen for a few reasons: to appreciate the work itself, cuz I believe that videogame music is incredible. But also, I listen to get nostalgic, without necessarily provoking an urge to play. Some music does get me excited about playing though, so I try to avoid listening to that. 

Thank you for making me think about this 🙂