NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Can I watch e-sports games, but still not play?

Stanly Kwok

I haven't, as I've never really been into watching other people play video games. Always just made me want to play games more. I have a friend, though, who loves watching competitive Overwatch and he doesn't really play Overwatch. I guess for some people it's just like watching sports. 

However, having said that, I don't think somebody who identifies as a video game addict would benefit from watching people play video games. I can only speak from personal experience but I'm quite sure that if I were to sit down and watch somebody on twitch playing some games, my first reaction would be to REALLY want to play some games. 

I suggest you avoid it, but you know yourself better then I do.

All the best! 

• Like 2

I am Overwatch addict and every time I went to Twitch to watch professional gameplay I relapsed. But I am not you and it’s just my personal experience. I would not suggest you anything related to games if you are trying to quit tho.

• Like 1

From me personal experience the danger of relapse rises exponentially when watching other people play a game that you like. Why? In my opion it is because you get to see the best case what could happen while playing yourself which will make denying yourself the game so much harder.In reality thrilling moments like the ones you get to see on stream are seldom happening to yourself. Also since you still have lots of contact with gaming you automatically will think more often about it which may lead to relapse as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Undsoweiter said:

From me personal experience the danger of relapse rises exponentially when watching other people play a game that you like. Why? In my opion it is because you get to see the best case what could happen while playing yourself which will make denying yourself the game so much harder.In reality thrilling moments like the ones you get to see on stream are seldom happening to yourself. Also since you still have lots of contact with gaming you automatically will think more often about it which may lead to relapse as well.

Good reply. Thank you for that.

• 1 month later...

I have to carefully say yes here. As you can see basically comments above say you cant do it but I have been doing it for quite a while. I mean I have not been very successful at no game so far but I will just tell you what I am doing. So first of all I hate playing league of legends. It makes me furious and most of the time I am playing I am like "wow dota is so much better why am I even playing this dumb game". But I love watching league esports. Two of my favorite youtubers mostly post league content. But because I genuinely hate playing the game it never triggered me to relapse. 

Wouldn't recommend it at all. Long term goal of a former gaming addict should be to find new hobbies and ways of spending his leisure time. It's 21st century, you have so many options. Instinct to watch gaming is just your addiction speaking, trying to subvert rationality.

• 1 month later...

I'm a huge consumer of music. My spotify account generates playlists out of my current and past listenings, and here and there a playlist with video game soundtracks pops up. Just listening to video game soundtracks makes me want to play and brings up the possibility of a relapse - my mind even goes into the "it wouldn't be so bad" territory sometimes.

I was never a big fan of e-sports or twitch, but I'm guessing that it would have the same effect as listening to video game soundtracks: getting me closer and closer to relapsing, which I don't want at this time.

You know yourself better than any of us so be your own judge and figure out if it is a good idea for you.