How I’m quitting Overwatch

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! My name is Max and I’m 17 yo Russian guy. A little intro how I fucked up my life.    I wasn’t big fan of computer games until 13. That year I decided to move from regular school to online

Hey everybody. I’m past 3 weeks milestone (20 days 21 hours 4 minutes). Last week was great and I would like to share my thoughts. The most important thing obviously is that I didn’t relapse. I d

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help. My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then

Posted Images

5 hours ago, WhoCares said:

One week Overwatch free. 

I feel guilty for not replying on your posts, I’ll try to fix it during the week.

Congrats on a full week! Hope you're feeling good about it 🙂

It's totally fine you aren't replying much, there is no obligation to do so. We know you are here reading our replies now and then : >

• Like 3
6 hours ago, WhoCares said:

2 weeks no games, I was too busy to even think about playing. Now I've finished all my essential tasks and I've been thinking about playing since then. I guess I'll relapse today. Honestly don't care

I think that's okay. I've been relapsing every two weeks or so too. Glad you have been able to sustain it for so long though, two weeks is quite a bit of time!

But, I do hope that you'll be able to keep yourself passionate enough about other things to stay away from games. Don't give uppppppp : >

Po

• Like 2
14 hours ago, WhoCares said:

2 weeks no games, I was too busy to even think about playing. Now I've finished all my essential tasks and I've been thinking about playing since then. I guess I'll relapse today. Honestly don't care

2 weeks? Great job! 

Notice how when you have a void in your schedule that you start thinking about playing games again. Free time is where bad habits can thrive. 

Is there anything you would want to do besides gaming, that you like/love to do?

Keep up the good work! 🙂 

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

After 2.5 weeks break I played Overwatch again.. for 7 hours straight. Now I know for sure, it's too late for me. No matter what I do, no matter what people are around me, I am thinking only about that shitty game. Not sure why I am even trying at this point. If Overwatch is the only thing I enjoy, what's the point in attempting to limit myself. Why wouldn't I just stop this shit and go back to playing nonstop. Maybe it's because the idea of being a fucking loser video game nerd makes me sick. I fucking despise myself. I don't know what to do. It's just so fucked up. I play Overwatch because my life is shit, but then I play I realize that Overwatch is shit too. There's no comfort zone, whatever I do I feel unsatisfied. My life is a fucking joke.

I was doing my homework for the next semester, far before the deadline. Usually I just do shit on the last day. But instead of being proud for myself for finally doing my shit in time, it made me depressed as fuck. 

Edited by WhoCares
  • Like 3

Hey @WhoCares, no matter how things are going for you, please keep posting here! LiFe taKeS all kInDs of DiRecTioNs, you know, and I don't think there is anything wrong with letting yourself relief all that stress you've been accumulating. It sounds like life is pretty hard right now- so do whatever you need to stay afloat and not drown. Again, you're only ~17(when's your birthday hmmmm), and there is still so much ahead of you. I didn't even get to a two-week strike until I was 19. You're doing okay!

Po

• Like 3
  • Like 1

Definitely agree with @Pochatok. Keep posting, when you're ready to try again, try again. Everyone moves at their own speed.

I feel bad that you don't feel good regardless of whether or not you play Overwatch or not. It's hard and I can understand the feeling of being discontented with everything. I felt like that back in April, and so I know it really sucks. It comes and goes. 

You may have heard this before, I think it was from Nietzsche, but there's a quote that goes something like "He who has a why can bear almost any how." Finding the why is difficult. There's some north star out there for you that will guide you, but perhaps you just haven't been able to point it out yet. You're on your way to finding it. Your body and mind is telling you something is wrong and needs to change, otherwise I don't think you would have tried quitting Overwatch in the first place. This sucks, but the only way to getting out of this mess, is to try, fail, try again, fail, try again, fail, etc., and with each iteration get a little bit closer to something better. This is the only way I've found to be remotely successful of feeling less terrible. There's no magic wand that fixes stuff--I fantasize about it a lot, but I haven't found it yet. 

I have faith in you, @WhoCares. For you to fight through what you've been going through makes you a strong person. Lesser men would've given up long ago, and even lesser men don't ever even try.

• Like 3

@WhoCares, Overwatch is the only thing you enjoy because the game designers created a product for overstimulating your brain. It was trained to crave that level of overstimulation by the act of you playing. 

To answer your question: The point in attempting to limit yourself (in fact to stay away as much as possible) is to bring back yourself to a point where you start noticing people around you, start coming back to your real emotions, interests and goals, and working at slowly improving all areas of your life. The greatest driver is potential for what you can achieve.

You have bloodied the nose of this addiction multiple times and now it trying to trick you again. What you did absolutely matters.

I suggest reading a book that I read twice, “Power of habit”. The beginning talks of a lady who was so much into smoking as an escape mechanism, that many areas of her life suffered. She then got some savings and travelled to Cairo, Egypt to clear her head. She was woken up in the early morning by a call to prayer and routinely tried to light up a cigarette. She wasn’t having any luck until she realized she was trying to light up a writing pen. This illustrates how ingrained the habit had become. Later on in the day she hired a taxi and went for a drive. She observed the beautiful desert and gradually came to a resolution that she would cross the desert on her own as a runner. Her new found goal was so powerful and overwhelming she was ready to go to all necessary costs and the pains to achieve it. She actually did that, she totally reformatted her bad habit into a healthy one.

Please read this book.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 5

Playing seems to be a plaster distraction from other problems you have. If these let you feel the way you described I would also just play and maybe trying to see a psychiatrist first before you detox agsin. Feel free to post how your doing anyway. I personally would find it interesting and I seen in the past people get better here with similar problems. Best of luck to you 🤞

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, WhoCares said:

I’m 18.

Oo Damn, happy Birthday! Doesn't feel any different from that point tbh. I honestly think that I am still 18 (+2). Anyways, congrats on making it this far!!!

• Like 2