• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! My name is Max and I’m 17 yo Russian guy. A little intro how I fucked up my life.    I wasn’t big fan of computer games until 13. That year I decided to move from regular school to online

Hey everybody. I’m past 3 weeks milestone (20 days 21 hours 4 minutes). Last week was great and I would like to share my thoughts. The most important thing obviously is that I didn’t relapse. I d

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help. My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I found a very interesting video. I think that this is actually true. I’ve been focusing too much on just not playing, when I should do more important changes. It doesn’t mean that games aren’t a problem and I can go play, because I’m still addicted to them and unable to control. But if I change my life, go to university, find a job I like, make good friends and find a loving girlfriend, I doubt that I would still crave to play for 12 hours a day. My real problem is that my life is pathetic and I’m human garbage. If I wouldn’t change it nothing’s gonna be better no matter how long I stay quit. Games aren’t the root of my problem, they are just indicating that something’s wrong.

• Like 3

Hi I took some minutes to read your earliest and most recent posts and skim over the middle pages. I also followed trough your "my last chance" journal. I will share with you some of my inputs.

- You are very young at 17 years old. This is totally NOT your "last chance". I wish I had started quitting games when I was 17 yo. That being said, I remember that when I was 17 yo I was under a lot of stress because of national examination and universities admissions, which you mentioned several times in your diary. Maybe your gaming adction is at the same time a symptom and a cause of that stress and general uncertainty about the future.

- Relapsing is normal. I am currently on my 4th coldtrukey atempt and i had MANY less commited atempt bfore. This also seems to be the case with many journals I have read. It sucks to break our "streak" of days without gaming, but we have to keep in mind that we are not restarting from the zero after a relapse. We always have important lessons to learn from our last relapse and attempt.

- Identifying triggering factors that lead you to gaming can be helpful. Also I find that self-help / spirituality books can also be helpful to understand the underlying causes that lead you into gaming (as just mentioned in your last post).

- I bet many people IRL don't understand what you are going trough, but remember you are not alone in your journey to overcome games.

• Like 4

Hey, it's good to see you posting. I feel the same way about my life. That it will probably stay the same for a long time. Maybe even forever. But I would say even if I don't make friends or a girlfriend I still enjoy my life more without games. And that keeps me motivated to resist the cravings and not play. I mean hopefully those things happen for me though at some point in time. I'm so focused on getting a new job lately I don't really even want to spend energy on socializing right now. Like @dasvira said it's great that you're quitting at age 17. I didn't successfully pass the 6 month marker until I was in my 30's. Now I'm 32 and about to hit 1 year this month. I think that even if you manage to build and be blessed with a great life. With friends, a girlfriend and a good job family, hobbies etc. You might be less inclined to game and more content with your life. But I would say that you will always have to resist the cravings to game. I don't think those will ever completely go away for anyone. At least not for me from what I've experienced. I've always had cravings that come and go, rise and fall. But they never completely go away forever. They usually come back around at some point in time. I'm about to get a 70" tv to continue my tv watching hobby. So that's cool. Good things happen over time when you quit gaming.

• Like 2

I suggest reading "think and grow rich" by Napoleon Hill. It is an inspiring book that has helped me to find what I want out of life. I think it has some essential teachings for anyone who wants to succeed in life. I would recommend reading "Grit: the power of passion and perseverance" by Angela Duckworth along with it. 

These two books are what you need to plan for your future. Read and use the techniques to bring you dream life into reality. 

Edited by Mohammad
  • Like 1
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, TheNewMe2.0 said:

Hey, it's good to see you posting. I feel the same way about my life. That it will probably stay the same for a long time. Maybe even forever. But I would say even if I don't make friends or a girlfriend I still enjoy my life more without games. And that keeps me motivated to resist the cravings and not play. I mean hopefully those things happen for me though at some point in time. I'm so focused on getting a new job lately I don't really even want to spend energy on socializing right now. Like @dasvira said it's great that you're quitting at age 17. I didn't successfully pass the 6 month marker until I was in my 30's. Now I'm 32 and about to hit 1 year this month. I think that even if you manage to build and be blessed with a great life. With friends, a girlfriend and a good job family, hobbies etc. You might be less inclined to game and more content with your life. But I would say that you will always have to resist the cravings to game. I don't think those will ever completely go away for anyone. At least not for me from what I've experienced. I've always had cravings that come and go, rise and fall. But they never completely go away forever. They usually come back around at some point in time. I'm about to get a 70" tv to continue my tv watching hobby. So that's cool. Good things happen over time when you quit gaming.

Erik, for me television is an extension of the media. I feel that my stages of recovery are going faster because I am not watching films either. I watch some targeted educational videos on the internet. I think that if you watch an exciting action film, or listen to stimulating music, or even see a poster depicting the type of game that you enjoy playing, it activates the memories of video games that you played in the past and you experience a craving to play again. I don’t want to spend energy on resisting cravings because will power is very limited. 

My belief is in reformatting the habit entirely. When I gradually acted out wanting to look good, i started noticing guys with well developed biceps and triceps, i started distinguishing guys that dress well and dress horribly. I never used to do that when I was a gamer. My exercise routine is a game in itself, I crave that moment in the morning and do it zealously. I look at ways of improving this routine.

Whocares just had a breakthrough. He realized he wants to be somebody and the more he acts it out, the more cravings he will experience to do things that matter for his success. The only tip I will give is to take it at a measured steady pace. I.e. Don’t try to get an amazing chest and shoulders in one week, but make a one year plan instead.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 2

Hey @WhoCares, I had quite a bit of fun reading through your journey. I'm Russian too by the way(nickname lol).

I kind of agree, gaming is not evil on its own. But when you lose track of how much you play, when you aren't in control of your urges, it is an issue. However, you are right- it is a symptom of bigger issues.

I know therapy is expensive and not at all that good in Russia, so I reccomend just taking apart books that you think you can mentally relate to- for me it was "Noonday Demon", a diary of a person struggling with depression (spoiler: happy ending, they write a book!). Seeing others' lives turn from a complete mess to something good is quite empowering, and helps you get closer to discovering and fixing those underlying issues that cause gaming addiction. 

Also, I would take a few moments every day to reflect on the "productive" things you are doing: do you like the way you work out? Is lifting weights fun, meaningful to you? Are you forcing yourself to eat healthy food, or do you actually enjoy it? Is hanging out with friends a good time, or do you feel disconnected? ``I know some of these questions might be difficult to answer, but asking them is what's important. You might not necessarily know, but having those questions in the back of your head will slowly guide you to a lifestyle that is not only productive but to a lifestyle that you truly enjoy.

image.png.80f866eb8e570855bb2c04613482b38d.png

• Like 1

I just relapsed. I won't beat myself up this time, I'm actually pretty satisfied. I had strong cravings to play for a few days, finally installed and... the game is shit, I don't enjoy it anymore. After 4 hours of playtime I uninstalled. Not interested to play anymore. It's like my memories of playing is way better than the actual game. I used to play Overwatch for days long, now I'm tired and bored after a couple of hours. I see progress. This is the way I wanna quit: being actually not interested in playing rather than not play but crave all the time. 

You guys wrote a lot of messages, I'll answer them when I have time, sorry for that.

• Like 1