How I’m quitting Overwatch

Please help. I'm past 2 weeks without Overwatch and it's terrible. I can't overcome the urges. I'm suffering. The only thing that keeps me from relapsing is non gaming monitor and deleted account. I can't live like this, nothing helps. I'm in a living hell. I would rather play games till I die than live like this. I tried playing other games: got bored after 20 minutes of playtime and stopped. My brain is craving for Overwatch.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! My name is Max and I’m 17 yo Russian guy. A little intro how I fucked up my life.    I wasn’t big fan of computer games until 13. That year I decided to move from regular school to online

Hey everybody. I’m past 3 weeks milestone (20 days 21 hours 4 minutes). Last week was great and I would like to share my thoughts. The most important thing obviously is that I didn’t relapse. I d

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help. My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then

Posted Images

Hi, as I said to someone else about urges

"Distract yourself from that. You can watch funny things on the internet (youtube, 9gag...), or do something else enjoyable. It's even better if you do something productive (any chore), you will feel good about yourself. But I know it's not easy to do something productive when we have urges."

You can listen to music, or listen to music and doing a chore. Try to do it during 5 minutes (5-minute rule), and then relax or do something else if you don't want to continue after these 5 minutes.

Try to relax, try to think about something else every time you think about overwatch.

Tell me if something worked out.

Remember that this pain is temporary, they are the withdrawal symptoms, they won't last all your life. If you play again, the other pain will last all your life, until you want to stop gaming again. Stay strong

• Like 1

Okay, I can see you're having a rough go of it but just remember why you are here. You recognized that you have a gaming addiction and wanted to quit. Stick with it!

Look, I get it, to be honest I still have random thoughts of playing Overwatch, probably my favorite game off all time. I played the ever loving crap out of that game and it was never enough. I always wanted to play more. I sunk more hours into that game then most other games combined, and I played a lot of different games. I think as far as addictiveness goes, games like Overwatch (short matches, quit turnaround, constant feedback, social connection) take the cake. 

I realize that you can't imagine life without Overwatch at the moment but you are still in the heavy withdrawal stage of quitting. Could be another couple of days or weeks while you are really feeling it. Hell, it's been a few months for me and I still catch myself having memories of gaming. I played games for 30+ years of my life. At this point it feels like I spent the greatest moments and potential good times of life sitting on a couch playing games. I deal with that feeling every day. Sometimes I can accept that those years are gone, some days it breaks my heart. I'm working on it. Do yourself a favor. Don't go down the same road I did. Break with this addiction now. You will find yourself having experiences far more valuable then gaming could ever be. 

Stick to the quit @WhoCares! Give yourself the 90 days. See how that feels before you make a decision. 

All the best. 

• Like 2

Day 17 without Overwatch. I am hopeless Overwatch addict, but I will recover. 

Starting writing daily since today, I have a lot to tell, I’ll reply to everyone and share my thoughts about what’s going on in the evening. 

• Like 2

My fucking god I’m uninstalling youtube. I’m not talking about it as a waste of time, I’m talking about fucking endless ads. Like I watch that shit on iPad, I can’t install adblock. I got 2 fucking ads in a row without an option to skip it. And it happens every fucking 3 or 4 minutes. I got it, youtube wants money, it wants me to buy that fucking subscription. YOUTUBE, SUCK MY DICK! I’m not gonna do that on purpose cuz that much ads is just disrespectful. Fuck you and your shitty service, it’s fucking unusable at this point. I’m watching more ads than actual content. Marketing nowadays is a fucking cancer. Everyone puts money above quality. 

• Like 1

If you ever need to watch a tutorial on youtube for work or school, you can always download one of the many web browsers from the app store that has add-block built into the browser like Brave. You can also use the default safari browser and go to a website like https://invidious.snopyta.org/ (I'm not sure how well this works on mobile) that allows you to watch videos without getting tracked by ads and algorithms.

• Like 2

Hey everyone. I'm finally back. I have a lot to talk about. I planned to share it a lot sooner, but I ended up with collecting as much data on my 'research' as possible and share it all at once. So, after my last relapse 22 days ago I was thinking about what I am doing wrong. At that point I was trying to quit for 2 months. I realized that despite I gamed for about 24 hours in total during those 2 months, my productivity was still as bad as before quitting. So I started to think that games aren't the root of the problem, but just symptom of bad time management, boredom etc. So instead of focusing on quitting games, I should focus on myself. Gaming addiction is just reflection of my procrastination.. I thought. 

On 10/5/2020 at 2:44 AM, BooksandTrees said:

What are you changing? Good job getting 14 days again. Many people can't get back on track like you've been. It's a process.

So, after I came to a conclusion that games aren't bad and the problem is in me, I allowed myself to play games. Everything, but not Overwatch, because I admitted, that Overwatch is beyond my control and if I'll allow myself to play it again I'll lose my mind instantly. And, it wasn't so bad actually. I installed osu!, played it for 30 minutes, got bored and I didn't touch it for a week, after that I played for an hour or so and then stopped as well. Osu! experience gave me confidence to think that I can fully control my gaming when it's not Overwatch. I started playing Minecraft with my brother. I chose this game because it's chill and casual. We were playing for about 2 hours, not daily since my brother is not into games that much. My productivity was still on the same level all this time, I mean.. bad as fuck. Everything was relatively good until 2 days ago. At that time I found out that I'm just waiting all day to play Minecraft. And when my brother isn't able to play, I crave to play something.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, dirac said:

How is it going man?

My Overwatch cravings went back and they were as strong as before. I started watching Overwatch streams on Twitch. Clearly even chill games like Minecraft are triggering me to play Overwatch. And I knew it, but I thought that 'this time it'll be different'. I think I am going in circles. I caught myself on proving statements from my first post over and over again. I am always making excuses, always lying to myself in order to play. Two hours ago I was thinking about installing Overwatch again. But hopefully, my account is deleted and I told all my friends with accounts to not give me anything even if I beg them to do so. New accounts cost money that I don't wanna waste and I would need to level it for 2 days straight before I could play competitive. Plus my monitor is 60 Hz, which is very bad for gaming. All of this created a barrier that hold me very very well from relapsing. So, instead of playing Overwatch, I went to workout. This is something I could only dream of before. 

On 10/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, Haymitch said:

Good. I like your mindset. Relapse is good feedback if you know what did you make to play and learn from that mistake.

I fully agree. If Overwatch taught me something valuable, it's that you learn and improve from losing, not winning. I am learning something new from every relapse.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, royal panda said:

Alright, we'll be here when you get back. Also write something whenever you feel like it's a right time, we will always read.

I am ready to talk about my next steps. I'm done with experimenting, trying to invent the wheel. From now on I will listen to people who actually achieved something and try to implement their ideas and methods. I'll start by reading @BooksandTrees 500 day post, @MuMuMelon and @TheNewMe2.0 journals. I would be grateful if someone could give me more examples of successful recovering. 

Well, still I didn't play Overwatch for 22 days, but I watched streams and played other games, so it would be unfair to keep that record running. I'll reset it, today is day 0 ('cause I'm programmer hahaha, I think you got it).

There were a lot of unanswered comments, so I quoted all of them in one post and tried to answer them while telling my story in order to give full response without repeating, I hope it's okay and won't be considered as spam or something.

Well, that's all I wanted to tell, I'll read journals I mentioned above and I'll come up with something tomorrow. 

Thanks for reading, 

Max.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Bird By Bird said:

If you ever need to watch a tutorial on youtube for work or school, you can always download one of the many web browsers from the app store that has add-block built into the browser like Brave. You can also use the default safari browser and go to a website like https://invidious.snopyta.org/ (I'm not sure how well this works on mobile) that allows you to watch videos without getting tracked by ads and algorithms.

Thanks man, I'll keep this in mind.

• Like 1

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help.

My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then this PS4 game then that one.

Then I stumbled upon Fortnite. I played all day. Like 14 hours everyday for 5 months at least. My parents were so frustrated with me. I was frustrated with them and myself as well.

My study life sucked, my social life sucked and I tried to fix it by connecting with other people on Fortnite. I think the main reason I was playing was social connection and the lack of it in my real life. My only friends were my parents and they hurt me emotionally so many times. Living with my parents and playing under their watch made my gaming experience hell. Every long Fortnite session was filled with anger and resentment. And that made my gaming skill even worse. I sucked at Fortnite. I didn't know how to play even though I was playing all day. 

So my gaming experience consisted of: 1.Anger 2.Resentment 3.My parents yelling at me and vice versa 4.My lack of gaming skill 5.People on fortnite bullying me. literally 10 year old brats bullying 18 year old me :|

You can see it was an unpleasant experience. Now that I look back at it. I hated it.... A lot. But I couldn't help myself due to the addicting nature of these Online games. 

Not only that, but I hated other offline games as well. I hated the slowness of RDR2. I hated zombie and scary games because they made me nervous and prevented me from having a good night of sleep.

I hated Fortnite for all of the reasons above. 

And Guess what: I hated studying as well. The fact that every Physics teacher I ever had bullied me somehow. The fact that people insisted I should study more than 10 hours a day just to get into college and LEARN. And I hated the lifestyle of sitting behind a f***ing desk and staring at a text book. 

But I didn't know how to express my feelings and use them as signs to create the best life that I want and the best life that I deserved.

Reading a few books helped me a lot. Helped me feel responsible for my own life and my feelings and avoid letting others taking advantage of me. Mostly reading "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Can't Hurt Me". But other books as well. These are some reading recommendations for starters.

I finally became honest to myself and said that I hated Physics and I'm not going to study it for 1 more second. I'm not going to study to get into college. Whatever happens in the entrance exam I will accept it and move on. I admitted that gaming wasn't fun anymore. I found the cues in video games that got me hooked. Also read some books on storytelling and neurology to find out how somethings are keeping me hooked. I took responsibility for my social life and found some new friends. I started going to kickboxing classes to increase my self confidence. Finally, I decided to sell my PS4, I hated gaming when I saw how much money and time it was taking out of my pocket. How you're supposed to be excited for new f***ing consoles every 6 years and put a lot of money in video game companies. I had no interest in gaming anymore and that's how I overcame my gaming addiction.

• Like 6

@killua145 Hey, thanks for your reply. Your story is very relatable. Social interaction is one of the main reasons I played Overwatch so much. I was high ranked player, so I can’t say that I hated playing, but sometimes I was very angry after losing or being insulted in a game. I am not sure how I feel about studying, sometimes it’s interesting, sometimes not. I’ll try to stick to hobbies that will replace thoughts about gaming in a long run.

• Like 2

Welcome back. Good job being 22 days off overwatch even if you did play other games that's an accomplishment. I used to play LoL and I would get really angry or upset almost every game from dealing with toxic players. That's a big part of why I quit. I just wasn't happy gaming and I definitely wasn't healthy. To try to stay off the games I put a barrier between myself and getting back into it by giving my gaming laptop away to my mom. I remember my quit date to motivate me to keep building my streak, I try to think about something else when I get thoughts of gaming and find replacement behaviors that I engage in daily to keep me from doing nothing. After 11 months it's still a struggle for me and I have thoughts of gaming still. Some days are better than others, but I suppose I feel more resolved and stronger than before when it comes to staying off games. Avoiding being around games and game related things as much as possible is crucial for me. Good luck to you, I hope to see you quitting on here.

• Like 1

I read some journals and posts of successful recovery, here are some things I’m going to change.

1. I won’t focus on counting days anymore. Like I did on my first attempt, I’m going to count weeks. I think it will be easier to go through this way. 

2. I’ll start with easy daily goals and will try to be consistent. 

3. I’ll find some courses to join and chat with people with similar interests.

4. I’m trying not to beat myself up.

@TheNewMe2.0Thank you! It sucks that you still have gaming thoughts. I wish they would disappear. Good luck to you too!

I resonate a lot with this picture. Credit.

2434569C-F81B-48AF-BFE2-C973538B433A.jpeg

• Like 1

I returned to playing Overwatch and I enjoy it. I became much more motivated and productive. I am working out 5 days a week and started reading a book. Overall I’m feeling just great. When I tried to quit I was constantly depressed. Now I’m happy. 

Today I played much more than I consider normal, 5 hours to be exact. I’m gonna punish myself for this by not playing Overwatch tomorrow. The thing is, during the time I tried to quit I reduced the time I need to play Overwatch to feel satisfied. If I would allow myself to play all day as before that time will increase. Obviously it’s bad so I’ll set some rules. I allow myself to play for 2 hours a day. If I play more I’ll punish myself by skipping next day. 

Mate the fact that we're on this website means that we do not have the ability to regulate. Your plan of only playing a few hours a day is not going to last, as soon as your brain gets that hit of dopamine  and enters the flow, you're not going to come out for hours. What you've described as needing more and more is exactly the feeling that alcoholics and drug addicts get, and guess what, they can't regulate either.

I would be careful to say you are feeling depressed, that is a very big feeling that you may be confusing something else for. For example, I feel 'happier' when I get to watch videos or chill out and do nothing all day. But that is not being happy, it is my brain getting the dopamine or reward it wants. What we need to do, and the 90 day detox is designed for (which has a lot of scientific support), is to redesign our brain for what it sees as a reward.

What you're feeling as 'depression' is your brain thinking it has not had a reward. So I would say, and I am no expert, that you are addressing the symptoms and not the cause or underlying problem; only you can answer what that is but will require some reflection. It could be that you don't have any social connections away from your computer, but gaming fulfills that. It could be that you can't see any progression in your life, so gaming fulfills that. It could be that you simply do not know how to enjoy anything else, and gaming fulfills that.

Until you go cold turkey and force your brain to start being in the moment and looking for other things for enjoyment, such as personal development, relationships with friends and family, progression with fitness, etc; then you're never going to be free of the cravings and never going to be able to move on.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, WhoCares said:

Today I played much more than I consider normal, 5 hours to be exact. I’m gonna punish myself for this by not playing Overwatch tomorrow. The thing is, during the time I tried to quit I reduced the time I need to play Overwatch to feel satisfied. If I would allow myself to play all day as before that time will increase. Obviously it’s bad so I’ll set some rules. I allow myself to play for 2 hours a day. If I play more I’ll punish myself by skipping next day. 

Man, the "normal" for a respawn should be zero. 2 hours a day is still a lot, and since you have been really addicted, I wouldnt try to set any rules besides zero-hours rule.

I have 5k+ hours in LOL and Dota 2, and I am 100% sure that setting rules like that would crush all my progress. Of course there are times that I feel sad because it would be easier to just spend my whole free time playing. But we are here for a reason. Don`t give up, please.

And I totally agree with @giblets

• Like 3

@giblets Even if you are right and I’m not able to game on moderation, I would rather game than not. Let me explain what I meant by saying that I was constantly depressed: I woke up everyday with a thought of killing myself. I was thinking that I deserve to die and want to die either. Nothing I’ve done felt good. I had no motivation to do anything. All my life was empty and meaningless. After first month without games cravings became so bad that I started losing my mind. I tried so many things: I started cooking healthy food, constantly going outside with friends, chatting with a girl, reading books, working out, hiking and found a part time job. If I learned something from this experience that is that nothing gives me even half of enjoyment like Overwatch. Main reason I wanted to quit is to study better. But during 3 months of quitting I studied much worse than before.  What’s the point in this then? I would rather live a happy stupid life than constantly hearting myself because ‘it is better’. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, giblets said:

It sounds like you need help mate. Have you seen a therapist?

I was thinking about it, but turned out that it’s kinda expensive. I no longer have any suicidal thoughts or depression. My point was that quitting games is doing me no good.

• Like 1